rabotnika

need two good axle stands/car jack

Halfords 5 piece lifting kit at £68 is a great deal at present

I prefer thier 3 tonne trolly jack at £64 and 3 tonne ratchet axle stands at at £30

Jay

A 2 ton jack will lift the front end of an E39  but to avoid problems with the seals after repeated use you would be better off going for a 3 ton jack. Have at look at the one sold by SGS for less than £70 including free delivery. A lot of their stuff seems to be rebranded by some of the big name sellers at higher prices.

When I posted on 7 May SGS were offering a 3 ton jack for about £69 but this does not appear on the current site unless it is the one shown without a price and marked as coming soon.

I would be aware of SGS - not had any problems and I do have some of there stuff - BUT you get what you pay for if you know what I am getting at. Dont know why a 3 ton jack it recommended above I have an SGS 2 ton and its fine except for the weight 30kgs plus which is why I've got a clarke 1.5 ally jack for quick use - remember you have to haul it around and store it. The 3 ton one on SGS is almost 30kgs..... tough to move around easily. Remember these jacks will have a huge safety margin on top of their rated spec (not withstanding unexpected failure) whats a heavy e39 - 1800kgs? according to wiki - so a 1 ton will in theory lift the front or back or 1 side.

I would try id you can to increase budget and do this

Get a decent jack for your needs and then axle stands you are happy with - you shouldn't be under a car and rely on the jack ever. See my post I have it sitting on 4 of these - https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/5637184616/axle-stands-pair-25tonne-capacity-per-stand-medium-height - the welding is gash - but its been up a year and I still have my face......;)

Everyone will have a different opinion on what's right and safe - just make sure you think about your needs and what fits your bill.

SGS - ok - but as above

Machine Mart I prefer - but you still get what you pay for.

good luck 

FWIW i have an SGS 3 tonne lift - it has a nice low saddle height and good lift height.

I have read reviews but apart from it being weighty i've no complaints.

Its only used for lifting wouldn't go under without stands to support  but at the price its served me well.