Sign in to follow this  
Boba

A Lack of Fives?

I visited a nearby $tealer today who has a VIP event on and noticed that a single lonely 530e was the only 5-series on display. Several each of 1s, 2s and the rest. I asked a salesman about it and was told that they can get almost anything except a 5 delivered from BMW and been like that for months. If that’s the case I wonder why BMW seem so unable to balance their production with demand?

My guess would be production line issues, with the hangover/current Covid situation it has caused a lot of supply chain issues for components. And i doubt many 5 series components fit from/into the lower range (1-3 series) or the X series variants of anything too. 

BMW have just repositioned as a brand. Shovelling out 1 and 2 series to take over the Astra and Focus segment and customer base. They are front wheel drive re-skinned Mini platforms. Everything BMW marketing used to criticise.
Suspect they do it to satisfy the demand for the X5 etc and keep the overall CO2 low. Five is probably a segment not worth pushing too hard, with the pandemic maybe the lines have also slowed down due to reduced Taxi sales in Europe?