Sign in to follow this  
Henrikas

E46 Engine into E39 M5730

Good afternoon
Hope all is well

I have an 2002 E39 525D auto, would like to keep the car for as long as possible, however its on high mileage, and gearbox seems to be going as well.
Not sure how long it will last, might last ages who knows, however I found and low mileage M5730 Engine from a E46, complete with auto gearbox for sale for a reasonable price.

I know nothing about engine swaps, I would obviously pay someone to do it, but would it fit? would it be a straight fit? or extra steps would need to be taken? extra parts ordered?

Also, what how much would an engine swap cost, roughly?

Thank you

2 hours ago, Henrikas said:

Good afternoon
Hope all is well

I have an 2002 E39 525D auto, would like to keep the car for as long as possible, however its on high mileage, and gearbox seems to be going as well.
Not sure how long it will last, might last ages who knows, however I found and low mileage M5730 Engine from a E46, complete with auto gearbox for sale for a reasonable price.

I know nothing about engine swaps, I would obviously pay someone to do it, but would it fit? would it be a straight fit? or extra steps would need to be taken? extra parts ordered?

Also, what how much would an engine swap cost, roughly?

Thank you

What exactly is that high mileage? Those first m57 engines are known to run remarkable miles, so if you don't have engine problems, leave engine alone, it might overlive the car. Mine is at 236k miles now, with no issues at all with engine. About transmission, first of all make sure there's correct transmission fluid level in gearbox. Too much or too less fluid will affect transmission performance and can cause damage as well.

Second thing -  E46 have 2 different GM gearboxes, the one for 2003 onwards is different to E39 tranny, so I'm not sure are they interchangeable. E39 diesels have GM-5L-40, (the same box on E46 diesels up to 2003), later E46 has GM-5L-50 gearbox, don't know what's the difference and are they interchangeable, but better find out all details before buying transmission which won't fit.

@Ray112
I assume my mileage is not that high then - it's only at 190k.
I've only considered buying it as it was a steal, guy wanted less than £250 for 90k miles engine and gearbox, however it's gone now. 

@e34m525i 
Mine's stage 2 already, doubt it will last as long as yours lol, but lets wait and see

Thanks for the replies B)

At 190k it’s just nicely run in.  Regular oil changes with best quality oil should see it ok for a long time to come.