bm0p700f

Improvements

I note that the e34 is more equal length than the e28 which has to fit around the steering box.

I'm still not convinced they do much but happy to be proven wrong.

They do sound good though which encourages more spirited driving!

Mission creep.

Today i bought a m30b35 bottom end. So radco engineering can start work on this block. New bearings and balancing everything. Perhaps the block will need boring to 92.5mm or just honing. New JE forged pistons will be ordered for a CR of 10.5:1.

When the block is ready the engine can come out and the cylinder head will be off for port matching to the b35 inlet manifold (bought with the block) and some minor modifications to the valves stems as well as new 47mm inlet valves. 

The camshaft is an alpina copy (FRITZ) and the ecu will be kept and an alpina b10 chip used (fritz). Those have also been paid for.

So it should perform when done like an alpina b10.

I might get a megasquirt ecu from the states which plugs into the motronic wiring loom so all it need is an IAT and mapping. 

So 254hp is what alpina got out of the b10. Time will tell what this one will do. Fritz claim it can do more. Who knows. Im happy wìth it now so i will be happy with when its all done what ever the engine is producing.

Now the bits are bought it definitely going to happen.

Also the windscreen is getting changed on friday. Thats only £160. Bargin.

Expected engine cost £4-5k unless there mission creep. 

Also on the cards is a respray. 

Edited by bm0p700f

Because im old changing the engine bumps the insurance by only £90. Bargin. 

Insurance i think is the least of the expenses :lol:

I know Motronic 1.3 is more mappable but in my experience i think the restrictions are this and the MAF and that to truely expolit the mods a tunable EMS is the way forward be that mega squirt/ omex / emerald etc.

Back in the day i thought the Miller WAR chip had some promise, seems the range has expanded since too.

https://www.millerperformancecars.com/store/show-by-car/e34

On 19/04/2021 at 00:35, bm0p700f said:

I for my own reasons am saying no  to any log book changes i.e engine size or engine number changes and no  (witchcraft) turbos.

17 hours ago, bm0p700f said:

Today i bought a m30b35 bottom end. So radco engineering can start work on this block. New bearings and balancing everything. Perhaps the block will need boring to 92.5mm or just honing. New JE forged pistons will be ordered for a CR of 10.5:1.

:lol: - just because.... we all know how this happens....

Is was saying no at the start to try and keep the costs down. I was desperate to keep my want limited. However to more you think about it the more you talk yourself into it.  When fritz said they had a complete bottom end for £300 plus vat its hard to say no. I had already talked myself into having the block bored and buy a crank of ebay but boring the block that much cost ££££. This one is ready made. It just needs pistons.

One phone call and mission creep.

It not like m30 engines are growing on trees any more. Hardly any on ebay and the blocks or heads could be cracked. Cars get broken for a reason after all. 

As for engine management. The alpina chip is to get it running. its cheap and might work well.  I suspect i will get omex in the end or go cheaper with mega squirt in a motronic compatible box so it just plugs in. Both do speed density mapping. The later is likely and is $800 plus import taxes. Drop in the ocean 

Edited by bm0p700f

It starts next week.

Picking up a head on monday too. 

The intention now is build a complete engine and do a swap. Might even go for new ancillaries. 33 year old alternator and pumps are just a breakdown waiting to happen. 

Its going to be a new car by the end of the year. 

Picked up a m30b35 cylinder head tonight. All i need now is sump, crank sprocket, pulleys, e.t.c

Just ordered a bunch of engine parts of bmw, valves some gaskets, timing chain, guides  and other bits. Its a long list. A new oil pump is ordered. Not taking any chances. It will be a fresh engine.

Next week i will order from the usa all the other bits that are required including gasket set, valve train parts (all of them) 39mm exhaust valves, pistons for 92.5mm bore and 10.5:1 CR, ignition parts, thermostat housing, thermostat, water pump and various ARP bolts. 

Just ordered everything. Now a 10 week wait for pistons. Cant do much without these.

Saved a bit of money though. I don't need a vernier cam sprocket. Alpina used bmw timing for there camshaft although there camshafts were ground for slightly different timing at top dead centre.

The cam sprocket was $150 but the shop wanted that much again for shipping from the usa and a $40 international transaction fee. I deal with foreign payments every day and it don't cost that much and i would have paid them in US Dollars. Also shipping cost seem steep for this item. I get ups rates that are cheaper to the usa and the box will have a higher volumetric weight. Its clear international trade is too much trouble for them

Ce la ve. 

Ireland engineering returned my paypal payment and i lost £100 in exchange rates. They don't like taking paypal. Well don't accept it then at your own checkout. Pistons and ARP bolts are coming through vac motorsports now. Bmw and schiedmann are supplying most of the rest. That delays everything now as three weeks lost.