Sign in to follow this  
Greenfingers

Throttle actuator gone bad

5 minutes ago, Greenfingers said:

By the way, I have a history in Engineering product design.

;)

My issue would be the disappointment if it was wrong :lol: after waiting weeks. 

It looks incredible similar.

I couldn't bring myself to buy new and managed to find a used unit for under £50 on German Ebay, which should be here this week.

I'll take it apart before fitting it and if there is significant wear, then it should work as a stop gap until the £15 repair parts arrive from from China.

14 minutes ago, Greenfingers said:

I couldn't bring myself to buy new and managed to find a used unit for under £50 on German Ebay, which should be here this week.

I'll take it apart before fitting it and if there is significant wear, then it should work as a stop gap until the £15 repair parts arrive from from China.

I'd do the same thing as these are not known as a weakness.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

8 hours ago, Greenfingers said:

Hope it all goes well buddy.

they are quite a common failure on the old PD vag engines, usually because of location. They sit under the EGR valve and get contaminated/gunked up. The plastic teeth strip themselves when they cant open/close. Its almost as if they knew it would happen though as the rubber seal, when it gets soaked in the oily contaniment, expands and goes visibly floppy between the units so gives you an indication. 

On 11/04/2021 at 18:59, Greenfingers said:

I never ever subscribed to the old addage 'you get what you pay for'. 

Nor I!

Perhaps it’s true(ish) that you seldom get what you don’t pay for, but the converse certainly isn’t (especially with ‘BMW’ parts).

On 4/13/2021 at 6:50 AM, deano16v said:

they are quite a common failure on the old PD vag engines, usually because of location. They sit under the EGR valve and get contaminated/gunked up.

Spot on Deano, which explains the aftermarket Chinese brass parts on eBay.

Anyway, just an update to say that the used part from Germany has been working fine for a few weeks now, so maybe this is a rare failure on a BMW.

On 5/4/2021 at 11:14 PM, Greenfingers said:

Spot on Deano, which explains the aftermarket Chinese brass parts on eBay.

Anyway, just an update to say that the used part from Germany has been working fine for a few weeks now, so maybe this is a rare failure on a BMW.

Hi @Greenfingers 

I’ve got the same issue now, have your replacement gear parts arrived yet? 

I’ve found a new VDO throttle body for £190 but like the idea of cleaning my current one and upgrading to the metal gears.