Singh

Help needed getting car spec from reg

Hi there, 

After having a E60 535d LCi (remapped) a few years ago, I'm returning back to BMW and looking at a 640d gran coupe. 

Is there a way I can get a car spec/bulid sheet from the car registration or even last 5 vin digits? The sites I have used previously to get the vin number from the car registration have stopped working. 

It's not possible to get the vin from the logbook or actual car as I'm looking at 640d from the BCA (British Car Auction). 

Appreciate any help please 

You need the VIN really - it used to be the last seven but the few online VIN checkers these days ned the whole thing.

You could try the registration at a local BMW dealer but I wouldn't hold your breath.

A cheap HPI check on the reg should give you the VIN. If it's "the" car then maybe worth spending the £5 but auction prices are being reported to be wild at the moment with many reaching over-book. Worth checking recent sold prices

52 minutes ago, sanjx said:

A cheap HPI check on the reg should give you the VIN. If it's "the" car then maybe worth spending the £5 but auction prices are being reported to be wild at the moment with many reaching over-book. Worth checking recent sold prices

Can you recommend any HPI check sites? Ones I've tried, only give the last 5 digits 

I did a vcheck and it gave the full VIN (i always do both vcheck and HPI). vcheck also checks if cars ever been a taxi or unrecorded write off etc..

7 hours ago, sanjx said:

I did a vcheck and it gave the full VIN (i always do both vcheck and HPI). vcheck also checks if cars ever been a taxi or unrecorded write off etc..

@Sanjx can you PM or share here which vcheck or hpi site/company to use please? 

On 30/04/2021 at 11:41, Ollie Campbell said:

If you chuck the reg into Opie Oils' website it'll give you most of the VIN, bar 3 digits in the middle. Not sure if that helps....

It won't show the last 7, so kind of pointless.

However, saying that, even if you have the last 7 of the VIN, most VIN decoders no longer accept that, and ask for a full VIN.

http://bimmer.work/ is a quite decent one, although you'll need a full VIN.

The only one that I know that still works with the last 7 is > https://bimmercat.com/bmw/EN/vin/decoder/online