Nol

Drive mode switching doesn't work properly

Hey everyone. 

My parents drive a 1995 BMW e34 525I AUT E2. They bought it about 8 years ago and still enjoy driving it.
There's a good chance that I will be the next owner of the car. 

One thing that cought my attention a long time ago is the malfunctioning drive mode switch. The car has a Sport, Eco an * (snow) mode.
The bmw always starts in Sport mode which I think is strange. But I don't know anyone with an automatic E43, so I'm not sure.
After the startup the transmission can only be switched to the Eco mode. After switching to Eco mode the transmission can not be switched to another mode.

Only by restarting the vehicle sport mode is activated. 

So in short: The BMW starts in Sport mode and can only be switched to eco mode, one switched it can't get out of Eco mode.

Does anyone know what might be cousing this problem and how it could be fixed?
IMG_20210408_193910.thumb.jpg.1a18e94efe2214276d000f813fb4b3d1.jpg

Thanks in advance. 
Regards Nol 

Edited by Nol

If the switch feels anything like the one in mine did (super sticky icky) it might just be that the contacts in the switch need cleaning to correctly return to the normal position. try some contact cleaner in it.

Whenever you turn the ignition on, the default mode should be E(economy). S (sport) and *(winter) modes are obtained by briefly grounding the relevant pin on the TCM. So if it is starting in sport mode, that would indicate that a faulty connection is being made.  You can check that out by simply removing the switch and turning the ignition on. 

Thanks for the help.
My parents told me that te car used to start in E(economy) and that is was able to switch between all the drive modes. 
The switch does feel normal to me, so not sticky icky. 

I will remove the switch first to see if that's cousing the problem.

Good that you got it sorted and good that you came back to report on the fix :)

Keliuss