GruntBoy

BMW app sending nav directions to car

I am AUC G30 5 series in January. First registered March 2017. When I first got it I could send destinations to the car via the BMW connected app. It no longer works though. On the page to do it in the app it just says “connect to vehicle to start navigation” but nothing ever appears on the Idrive now. 
Is it possible there was an existing subscription that came with the car that has now run out? Is this feature a “free” one or do you have to have some minimum package subscription with BMW connected drive for this to work please?

1 hour ago, GruntBoy said:

I am AUC G30 5 series in January. First registered March 2017. When I first got it I could send destinations to the car via the BMW connected app. It no longer works though. On the page to do it in the app it just says “connect to vehicle to start navigation” but nothing ever appears on the Idrive now. 
Is it possible there was an existing subscription that came with the car that has now run out? Is this feature a “free” one or do you have to have some minimum package subscription with BMW connected drive for this to work please?

You lost this feature when the Connected Drive subscription expired. You need to purchase one of the Connected Drive packages.

Ahh. Thank you. So it must have just had a few weeks left on the package when I bought it?

Does it come with any of the packages please do you know? I still can’t make up my mind if any of them are actually worth paying for to be honest. 

5 hours ago, GruntBoy said:

Ahh. Thank you. So it must have just had a few weeks left on the package when I bought it?

Does it come with any of the packages please do you know? I still can’t make up my mind if any of them are actually worth paying for to be honest. 

My personal view is that unless the car is used like an office the Connected packages are not worth my money. I think the basic Connected Drive Package for £59 includes the send to car component. See the remote services feature set below:

Online Speech Processing
Your BMW responds to your commands. Thanks to online speech processing, your vehicle can understand you better than ever before.
BMW Online
With BMW Online, you are not dependent on your smartphone thanks to the SIM card integrated into the car itself, and can have all your route information displayed during your journey.
Remote Services
Check the status of your BMW while on the go. With Remote Services activated, through the BMW Connected App you can send messages to your vehicle, with destinations direct to your navigation, or instructions to lock / unlock your vehicle, locate the last parked position or flash the headlights.

You can send from the Connected App (if your subscription is still valid) but this ability, along with all the other remote services, has been removed from the (non-Apple) PC version. Very annoying .................

Thanks a lot guys. Can’t really see the need to pay just to send sat nav to my car. 

I might trial the live traffic updates if I ever go back to commuting! But that’s not worth it at the moment either. 

Thanks again. 

I was able to send address to the car from iPhone long after the subscription expired, so don’t think this is connected

There is normally a good discount on all services during Black Friday sale. I renewed the basic package for around 30 just to have nice weather pic on the screen

The destinations I send never seem to appear on the car though the app says it’s sent them. I’ve followed the instructions in the faq but no luck yet. I can lock/unlock remotely etc. OK so the basic comms seem to work.

Anyone found a way to delete or edit the ‘favourites’ in the map destinations in the app? (Wish I had a 10 year old to help out).

21 minutes ago, Boba said:

Anyone found a way to delete or edit the ‘favourites’ in the map destinations in the app? (Wish I had a 10 year old to help out).

Left swipe and “Remove” (same on both Apps).

Edited by Carrman2018

9 hours ago, Carrman2018 said:

Also the My BMW is slowly replacing the Connected App.

They state that it’s being phased out in July 2021.

That’s a shame really, I much prefer the connected app

8 hours ago, Julesrocker said:

I have had the same thing happen even though my car isn't yet two years old and I thought that the subscription to Connected Drive lasted for three years?

I think it’s annual

38 minutes ago, Carrman2018 said:

Left swipe and “Remove” (same on both Apps).

Genius, thank you!

How did you find out?

The only way I could get destinations to the car was after the dealer told me to use the CDrive website rather than the CDrive App. I think they have disabled that now so I use MyBMW which works about half the time !

5 hours ago, d2om said:

I was able to send address to the car from iPhone long after the subscription expired, so don’t think this is connected

There is normally a good discount on all services during Black Friday sale. I renewed the basic package for around 30 just to have nice weather pic on the screen

Depends what connected Drive Services you are left with once the initial 3 years expires. If you have Remote Services “booked” ie a feature without an end date, you should be able to send routes to car post 3 years. If, like me, you don’t have Remote Services nor the Connected Drive Plus any more then no more remote routes to car. Definitely connected. 

Remote view has been removed from the connected drive app, which will be unavailable in a couple of months. I installed the My BMW app on my Android phone.When I run it I get a blank screen for a couple of seconds and then "My BMW has stopped" with the option to send feedback, which I did. This appears to be common with Android devices. I contacted Connected Drive services and after an hour on the phone they wanted a screen shot of the message and then they will escalate it to Germany. Really the software is pretty pathetic and the testing seems to be very limilted - they just rely on the customers to do it for them.

My BMW has stopped.jpg

Edited by PGN

3 hours ago, PGN said:

Really the software is pretty pathetic and the testing seems to be very limilted - they just rely on the customers to do it for them.

It’s how software development works. No one tests anything, they just chuck it together and send it out.

17 minutes ago, Boba said:

It’s how software development works. No one tests anything, they just chuck it together and send it out.

Fills you with confidence for self-driving vehicles doesn't it.