Calypso-E34

eBay seller changes

18 hours ago, oldjohnny said:

Sorry.  I meant to ask what is the deadline about as i'm sure they have notified me but it was ignored.

No more paypal basically!

If you sell crap on ebay, you will get paid direct to your bank account instead of it going into a paypal account.  You need to set up a bank account with ebay so as a seller, you get paid directly into your bank account.  I was doing a nice wee sideline of selling my old crap and making a pile of cash in my paypal account which I could then use to buy more crap without the wife seeing what I was up to. Now (as its a joint account) she can see exactly how much money I'm making from selling my crap.

Ebay has got the buyers money and has told you to ship it, but ebay hasn't actually put the cash in your bank account yet.  Like SARP, I shipped my item after being told funds were transferred but I don't actually have the cash.  Sold Sunday night, posted Monday morning, not paid till Tuesday.  it appeared on my banking as "ADYEN N.V.."  It was only when I clicked on it it told be it was a pay in from Ebay.

Not the most re-assuring for a private seller.

The paypal thing worked for me too, like Andrew says i sold stuff and built up a little savings pot. Which I then used to by stuff.

Now if i sell something the money will just disappear into my current account unless i make an effort to hive it off.

I liked being paid before sending too.

Imagine its just a way for them to make more money like charging sellers fee on the postage....

3 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

No more paypal basically!

If you sell crap on ebay, you will get paid direct to your bank account instead of it going into a paypal account.

That's not strictly true. eBay will continue supporting PayPal as a payment option (for buyers who chose to use it, where a seller offers it) but they're insisting that all sellers added their bank accounts to eBay so that any buyer wanting to pay eBay directly can do so. And direct payment via eBay will of course be added as the default (non-removable) payment method for all listings.

So as a seller, you will still have the option of adding alternate payment options such as PayPal and cash on collection, but these will always be in addition to direct eBay payments. I suspect it will also be against the rules to write in your item description that you only accept PayPal or cash.

To be clear, I think the end result will be that there will be no more PayPal, as most buyers will just move to eBays payment system because it's more convenient. So even if there are sellers out there who would rather take the hit on payment fees in order to maintain a small bit more control over access to their money, they won't have any choice but to accept whatever their buyer chooses.

Edited by Spandex

After selling a few things recently, there is no difference in the fees between the new payment method and the previous with PayPal...so, still a rip off.

Also, as Andy says, the fact the buyer receives the item before the seller gets paid is shocking.

Paypal gave the seller another layer of protection, whenever I had an issue I found they always ruled in my favour...as for eBay, it's been 50/50 even when it's obvious I'm in the right and should be reimbursed.

Edited by Piper

I've sold a few things recently on eBay (inc a £1500 iMac etc); they've all gone through the eBay Managed Payments

I set up a separate bank account (Revolut) for eBay to pay into and then once those funds have cleared into that account; I then transfer them into my main bank account

All payments have gone through without a hitch; I've sent the postage time for 4 days as I will not send any of the items until funds have been processed and transferred to my bank account; I've made this clear on my listings and haven't had any issues whatsoever

Bar the iMac (which I delivered as it was local); the rest have been sent via RMSD and I've 220+ positive 100% feedback on eBay; so that shows that I'm a trusted seller

Unless you're a business seller; IMO, do as I do and state in the listing that you won't post until the funds have cleared and then it's all in black & white and buyers can see exactly what's going on etc

One thing that hasn't changed is the volume of penniless halfwits. It matters not a jot how clear your description is, some thicko will ask questions that could be answered if only they were to READ THE F*CK*NG DESCRIPTION. 

14 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

One thing that hasn't changed is the volume of penniless halfwits. It matters not a jot how clear your description is, some thicko will ask questions that could be answered if only they were to READ THE F*CK*NG DESCRIPTION. 

Nail on head there Sir!

I sold some small delicate model railway equipment (yes I know, I'll await the slagging :lol:).  The item itself was just over 20mm thick so by the time I protected it, it would be over 25mm thick which means to send it Royal Mail (most convenient method for me)  it needs to go as a small parcel for a cost of £3.00.  

This was all stated in my description, posted 2nd Class Royal Mail Small Parcel cost of £3.00.  That is pure postage costs as I'm re-using packaging so not charging for that.  So it will actually cost me money as eBay charge on final fee and postage costs.

I get feedback along the lines of "fine but packaging so over the top when it would have gone in a jiffy bag". 

If it had gone in a jiffy bag it would have broken you clown, then you would have moaned at me for not packaging it properly.

As a seller on eBay you really are treated like something folk have trodden it.

...and breath:D

I've taken to giving away crap now on the local Facebook upcycle sites now.  Its far easier when you just want rid of something but its too good for the tip.

By far the biggest problem with ebay is that it has no viable competition with the same reach and so despite the hassle and fees you are still likely to get better value that the days of loot and classifieds in magazines, autotrader etc.

As such we will still use it...

There is also now a £14 dispute charge.

So, if you sell something and the buyer is an arsehole who tries to send back their junk for a refund/is too stupid to read the description or whatever, you will be charged £14 if you appeal ebay's inevitable conclusion and lose. 

Several ebayers I know have reported a big drop in sales after the Direct Payment nonsense. I hope ebay end up in real trouble tbh. 

For my part, I'm listing higher value stuff at 99p with the actual price in the listing just ebay get next bugger all. 

4 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

And fees on a £22 sale? 

£3.12 so about 14.5%

It's just robbery. 

It's shit but ....... I sold my 520d in 25 minutes. Can't beat it for coverage