Pete Soulby

E39 530i Sport Saloon

This is my fourth E39, two tourings and two saloons. All petrol and autos, two 525’s, a 528 and now this 530, two sports and two SE’s, I really enjoy them and their build quality but I think bar an M5 this will be my last.

I only have the sellers pics currently but I’ll sort some of my own out shortly.

6E042595-F76A-423D-A2D2-3DE4268A6BDB.thumb.jpeg.0840ae419bb8685b0189d3947448b93b.jpeg

Most of my ownership has looked like this though

B961250F-32A9-4D6A-BF03-71C6FB654771.thumb.jpeg.fb0b608d74815d49ec3a38ac0b21b3b4.jpeg

Think the rear of these is my favourite angle, bar the hideous exhaust pipe

909C0C2F-D18D-49D2-A050-8E9A5FAD8299.thumb.jpeg.95d153745d2687d6e5118f739890f2bc.jpeg

The car has had a quick wash in the last pic, it does desperately need a clay bar though as it’s full of tree sap.

This has been the one that required most work and one I really should have walked away from, EML light on the way home compounded this fact. A quick scan showed it to be O2 sensors on both banks, luckily the obd flap was down still to save me some time when it came to scanning :ph34r:, further investigation revealed the dipstick pipe to be blocked solid with carbon and back pressuring the system, guess I was just unlucky that it all happened in the 30 mins it took to get away from the sellers house.

The CCV was all brittle, broken and split, along with the intake pipe having a gaping split in it so that won’t have been helping issues neither, nor the missing sealing ring between the DISA and the inlet manifold. Now they’ve all being replaced and everything torqued back up it idles nicely now and has low down power back. Putting the pollen filters in the correct orientation should hopefully reduce the oil smells coming into the cabin too, especially now I’ve removed all the oil that had sprayed everywhere - love brake cleaner for this.

I’ve had to replace a lot of the arms due to what appears to me like they’ve all being fitted and torqued with out the car on it’s wheels, all the bushes were torn on items I’ve replaced, all rectified now.

I’ve done a lot of work to it so far and I’m still some way off having the car to a decent standard but that may be just me being fussy, most parts were a surprise but eventually I’ll have a solid example.

So far I have replaced the following:

Cam cover gasket

CCV

DISA valve rebuild

Aux water pump

Both front right arms

Both rear tension arms

Rear right arm

Both rose links

Both rear lower bushes

Expansion tank

Had the abs module repaired 

Steering rack gators

Had the inlet manifold off and replaced all gaskets under there

Full service

Coolant swap

Intake boot

There will be other things to swap out in the future, the brake lines aren’t the best and I’ll swap the other arms as it seems counter productive to swap the majority and not the rest to me. 

Then it will be time to sort the bodywork, it’s got scabby arches and sills so these will be rubbed and treated before they get any worse and I’ve time to get round to them, front bumper split in numerous places also. These were all in a worse state than I was under the impression of but, I’m a big boy and should have walked but didn’t for numerous reasons really: 

A 530 is the one I hadn’t had, I’m now happy I have with its power before I did any work to it, excited to get it mot’d and see how it drives with the engine work done since I last drove it.

I had travelled a fair way with the family to view the car.

I would most likely have had to replace the majority of these parts on a better, more expensive example, least this way I know it’s being done properly.

Once all the issues are rectified it can only add value to the car and make it an easy sell when the time comes.

I’ll try and update this as I go along to help keep me sane, hopefully :D.

D84E5AD3-6459-4DC7-98AF-1B24BD344C65.jpeg

Edited by Pete Soulby

Lovely looking E39.  A lot of work done but just think of the end result!  I look forward to seeing how you get on with your updates.

Looking good. I find its very rewarding when you replace the filthy old parts. My project list just keeps growing at the moment. 

One day at a time I'll get there . . . . . .

10 minutes ago, Gte86 said:

Looking good. I find its very rewarding when you replace the filthy old parts. My project list just keeps growing at the moment. 

One day at a time I'll get there . . . . . .

You and me both mate, suspension refresh next, maybe vanos rebuild also then onto bodywork, probably aided by the welder.

I'm waiting on a bumper for mine. Gonna do vanos seals while it's off the road. Just pricing up water pump, stat and viscous fan as I may try do it all at the same time. 

I'll try start a build thread at some point 

10 hours ago, Gte86 said:

I'm waiting on a bumper for mine. Gonna do vanos seals while it's off the road. Just pricing up water pump, stat and viscous fan as I may try do it all at the same time. 

I'll try start a build thread at some point 

Look at the other post that's just been commented on (if your E39s a petrol straight 6); if you amend your profile, you can show which car you have here (and location) etc :) 

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Re the viscous fan, go for the Behr one that C3BMW offer

Squeezed the car back in the garage today, not done much to it recently, managed to get it mot’d and replaced the obligatory broken cup holder and bought the last arm I need to refresh all the rear suspension then get it aligned.

Also found a PAS fluid leak so that’ll all be getting swapped out as a priority then trace a tiny coolant leak I think I have somewhere.

Took a few quick pics of my own today, really can’t wait to sort the bodywork out.

4C35DF06-31B2-4F8F-AE97-F42CDE66FBA3.thumb.jpeg.59716804abd4e704a0dde212108065a6.jpeg

80F2871D-36AD-4A2F-81E1-52E2638AA010.thumb.jpeg.ae128aead4854bc4ca376d8695b0fabc.jpeg

AF1C1636-DD68-47CF-B77C-42D3D8DFA931.thumb.jpeg.322106cb373bad487781eed070765bbd.jpeg

C74D3CAE-37BE-4E44-A32C-181BAADAEA99.thumb.jpeg.5ea6cc38cc6bbc4f402db1c8aa9a94ca.jpeg

I need to get the M5 grille I’ve got fitted too

5AAFF5AA-AA90-49FD-B6F9-C2E4908DF7D4.thumb.jpeg.1f2acedba1b15b21e97e2764761951d0.jpeg