dimsum

I’m back in a 5!

Afternoon all, it’s been a while!

After nearly 3 years complaining that my F31 320d was just too small, last month I picked this up from BMW Berry Thames Ditton.

2016 535d Luxury with a lovely spec including VDC, Comfort seats, Sports auto box, Mocha leather, reverse camera, etc. It was actually the Mocha leather that swayed me to go and have a look at it as I’m not usually a big fan of silver cars. When I saw it in the flesh I fell in love though and I think the combination works brilliantly.

The combination of power and economy is also intoxicating. 

I’ve not had a 5 series since my old E39 540i and this F10 really seems like the spiritual successor in many ways. Overall I’m very impressed with it and drive it every chance I can. 

I really wanted a car with VDC ( the full on Adaptive Drive seems to be as rare as hens teeth) and I know some people love it and others don’t see the point. Personally I think it’s fantastic and I highly recommend it. 

I’ve always wanted to give Comfort seats a go and they are leagues ahead of the sports seats I’ve always had in the past. They do rob a bit of rear leg room though and I also end up sitting higher than I normally  would, even with the seat on its lowest setting. I still wouldn’t be without them though.

I’m hoping to be on here more again and, as always, I look forward to tapping into the vast knowledge and experience on here.

5DA09FBA-8648-4454-82BB-F8ECCD647C4E.thumb.jpeg.db7d70c93f196130ec5761eafcae6370.jpeg

DE0F0E98-7B05-464F-B7AD-19D17037774E.thumb.jpeg.57117d92f57d83c680319b91c911e586.jpeg

12D5C35F-44BC-4FFD-BB1F-F8324B3D0324.thumb.jpeg.ee120f3da1906967a5f3dbc66bdbbdb7.jpeg

A6222619-0E7F-4C0E-B57A-B84958F188A2.thumb.jpeg.8664aa003c4b00167c38964dc90b21ab.jpeg

5 minutes ago, dimsum said:

Afternoon all, it’s been a while!

After nearly 3 years complaining that my F31 320d was just too small, last month I picked this up from BMW Berry Thames Ditton.

2016 535d Luxury with a lovely spec including VDC, Comfort seats, Sports auto box, Mocha leather, reverse camera, etc. It was actually the Mocha leather that swayed me to go and have a look at it as I’m not usually a big fan of silver cars. When I saw it in the flesh I fell in love though and I think the combination works brilliantly.

The combination of power and economy is also intoxicating. 

I’ve not had a 5 series since my old E39 540i and this F10 really seems like the spiritual successor in many ways. Overall I’m very impressed with it and drive it every chance I can. 

I really wanted a car with VDC ( the full on Adaptive Drive seems to be as rare as hens teeth) and I know some people love it and others don’t see the point. Personally I think it’s fantastic and I highly recommend it. 

I’ve always wanted to give Comfort seats a go and they are leagues ahead of the sports seats I’ve always had in the past. They do rob a bit of rear leg room though and I also end up sitting higher than I normally  would, even with the seat on its lowest setting. I still wouldn’t be without them though.

I’m hoping to be on here more again and, as always, I look forward to tapping into the vast knowledge and experience on here.

5DA09FBA-8648-4454-82BB-F8ECCD647C4E.thumb.jpeg.db7d70c93f196130ec5761eafcae6370.jpeg

DE0F0E98-7B05-464F-B7AD-19D17037774E.thumb.jpeg.57117d92f57d83c680319b91c911e586.jpeg

12D5C35F-44BC-4FFD-BB1F-F8324B3D0324.thumb.jpeg.ee120f3da1906967a5f3dbc66bdbbdb7.jpeg

A6222619-0E7F-4C0E-B57A-B84958F188A2.thumb.jpeg.8664aa003c4b00167c38964dc90b21ab.jpeg

Very nice my dream seats you have. So rare it is. Thats comfort right? Nice spec. Hope you enjoy it. I recently purchased 535d myself and it has full adaptive suspension and i love it. 

Hi Yuri84, yes comfort seats. I’m used to getting out of the car after a long drive on sports seats with aches and pains. It’s nice not to contemplate that anymore. 

I was originally after an M Sport 535d but I couldn’t find one with the right spec. After several months of searching this popped up and I put a deposit down the same day. Thanks to COVID, I bought it on the basis of the video sent by the dealer and the first time I drove it, was after I’d  bought it. All a bit unusual to say the least but luckily it all worked out!

Hi. Thats how i got my 535d m sport. It was click and collect. Very weird,but after couple hick ups its looking ok.

535's are rear beasts,but worth it. 

Whats the mileage? If not a secret how much was it?

Stunning car. I was considering downsizing to a 3 or 4 series, but I know I would sacrifice too much comfort - so I'll stick for a while yet. The comfort seats are superb. Mine:

LpUSYzH.jpg?1

46 minutes ago, dimsum said:

Hi Yuri84, yes comfort seats. I’m used to getting out of the car after a long drive on sports seats with aches and pains. It’s nice not to contemplate that anymore. 

I was originally after an M Sport 535d but I couldn’t find one with the right spec. After several months of searching this popped up and I put a deposit down the same day. Thanks to COVID, I bought it on the basis of the video sent by the dealer and the first time I drove it, was after I’d  bought it. All a bit unusual to say the least but luckily it all worked out!

Nice car and looks well spec'd. I was lucky to get a sunroof on mine and with such a dark interior it  makes a lot of difference the extra light. You'll be pleased to here that even the newest Mercedes with sunroof don't come with electric sunroof blind!!!

I note you also have ceramic finish on the idrive controller and gear stick, that must be rare as well!!!

Great purchase and loving that mocha interior.

I have Comfort Seats too with added cool ventilation and oscillating (massage) function. They're a vast improvement over standard Sports Seats.

C.

Nice car, well done. 

10 hours ago, dimsum said:

With you on that one. Adaptive Drive would be great to have but I got tired of looking and went for a VDC equipped car. I did a more or less back to back comparison with that car and one with normal M-Sport suspension. The VDC car felt nicer to drive in every way.

I'm rather envious of those comfort seats though. That was something else I got tired of waiting for. VDC was the must have option for me. 

Morning everyone. To be honest i was allways wondering why UK cars are a bit poor spec and very rare its possible to find one with top spec. For exhample look at the same f10 bmw in Germany and there you will be seeing confort seats,head up,adaptive drive,led headlights,soft close doors,brown,toffy etc leather interior on regular basis especialy on cars with 30d or 35d engines. I am originally from Lithuania and even that country,when looking for f10 530d for my sister,out of 9 cars we looked at,7 of them had comfort seats,wide mulitmedia display,electric boot,hi fi or harman.kardon audio in them. When i was looking for my 535d f10 i couldnt believe that a lot of them had just standart audio,small screen and some even didnt have instrument cluster with full lcd under the dials(6wb option i think). Interesting,is it because buyers here in UK just dont want to spend money on the extra specs or is that what dealers get from factory to their stock and only few cars are built to costumer order?

funnily enough Yuri, its sometimes easier to find a better specced 520d than a 535d in the uk, mainly down to company car schemes etc. lots of people wanted the bigger engines but then had no money left in their budgets to put any options on. likewise, lots of people opted for the smaller engines and then had money available to put some options on.

it still amazes me how many 535's I see with the small screens, 18's  and no real options to speak of. they tended to be later model cars too, post LCI

2 hours ago, deano16v said:

funnily enough Yuri, its sometimes easier to find a better specced 520d than a 535d in the uk, mainly down to company car schemes etc. lots of people wanted the bigger engines but then had no money left in their budgets to put any options on. likewise, lots of people opted for the smaller engines and then had money available to put some options on.

it still amazes me how many 535's I see with the small screens, 18's  and no real options to speak of. they tended to be later model cars too, post LCI

Hi,yep,most 535s are lci and poor spec cars,very weird.

Thanks for all the comments!

I was surprised at how many 535’s had relatively few options. The fancy headlights would have been nice, as would the heads up display, but overall I’m very happy with it and I’m really impressed with the Xenon’s it has. 

The sports auto and paddles are nice although I don’t actually know what the difference is between the sports auto and the standard auto? Paddles are always fun though! The ceramic finish is lovely and I think the interior works really well. It’s also been a long time since I had a car with a sunroof which my daughter loves.

She  has 70k miles and although I won’t divulge the price, I paid under the advertised amount and got the tyre, alloy wheel and SMART repair included too.

I’ll try and attach the full spec below.

9478D8DF-89E4-42C9-A573-1F276F87ECEB.thumb.png.c4cdfaba7d2387ad8f0e72bfd61f7dc2.png

D268CAA2-FF80-422B-991B-60DF329E2E06.thumb.png.ef9395e7315132cb4cdd0f9f8a45949f.png

7853D26C-2A87-40D8-BCB6-2AEE4116D59C.thumb.png.da2243e69a492839cacf677f988934a5.png

07CD43FE-C5FF-4973-B619-50DCEC294FB6.thumb.png.8782942b494fd5d452e2a4cee891e835.png

Edited by dimsum

On 31/03/2021 at 14:39, BFleming said:

Stunning car. I was considering downsizing to a 3 or 4 series, but I know I would sacrifice too much comfort - so I'll stick for a while yet. The comfort seats are superb. Mine:

LpUSYzH.jpg?1

Lovely colour! I was definitely intent on a colour other than black. It makes a big difference to the interior I think.