Sign in to follow this  
cjtdavenport

Looking to buy a G30 touring (G31)

Good evening guys and girls.

I posted a few year ago about buying a second hand 5 series estate for under 5k but things have changed so now I’m hoping I’m the next few months to get a second hand G31 around 2/3 years old.

I’ve been looking and can’t put my finger on which model to get.

Im hoping you can help.

The car is going to be kept forever, I buy a car and make it last until it’s got no more life to give. A main purpose for its use will be for towing my track car.

I want to be able to get some good mpg on decent runs but also have some poke when it needs to get going.

I’ve no idea if I should go diesel or petrol. 4wd or 2.

Basically what sort of real life mpg are people getting in the diesels and petrol. 2l or 3l

Many things have been said. Hope you can make some sort of idea what I’m asking.

cheers. 

If you want a blend of economy and poke, best look at a 525d (2.0 4 pot) will also have plenty of grunt for towing. Not many of those as they were not offered on sale for a long period of time.

a 530d will be significantly more dynamic with a slight trade off on economy. 

a 520d will be significantly better on economy but noticeably slower compared to a 530d for example. 

I would also recommend a remap. Will improve economy and agility in terms of every model. 

whichever engine you chose, be that the 2.0 4 pot or the 3.0 straight six, they are best in class in terms of that engine. Don’t let anyone with a small Willy complex tell you that anything less than a 530d is not a real BMW as there is a reason why the 520d is the range topper in terms of sales - especially if you put considerable miles on the car. I for one opted for a well kitted out 520d vs a poverty spec 530d when I purchased an early g30 in 2017.

in terms of longevity, I don’t know what you’re coming out of but don’t expect anything you buy to last as long as a e39 for example. These cars simply are not built for such a long shelf life and any out of warranty repairs may prove costly (although will obviously decrease in cost as these cars get older).

best of luck with the hunt 

I’d suggest you go for a G31 3.0d Xdrive Touring. 

Goes like a scalded cat if you wind it up, clings to the road like a limpet and incredibly stable.  Laid back comfortable cruiser when the mood takes you. Touring’s have air suspension and self-level, the boot is cavernous with seats down. Mines an M Sport, I now find the seats uncomfortable for my 6’2” middle aged frame on a long haul so defo go for full spec comfort seats IMHO. 

HUD if poss’ and the HK or better sound system are also musts with the camera system if possible.

The 3.0 6cyl diesel is quiet, super smooth, immensely torquey from tick over, revs to 5000rpm with a very robust auto transmission attached. The perfect tug when combined with Xdrive.

I’ve used mine for hauling building materials, 700kg of slabs or sand/cement in the back on numerous occasions, effortless.  The ride of rears 275 run flats also improves when loaded!

Fuel economy? As my daily for an 80-mile A/B/Town & M.way commute I see 38-42mpg average.  Poddling around town, stop/start not so good, 28-32 mpg.  Long haul on motorway at 75-80mph with family in she turns in 48-52 Mpg.

520i / 520d good economical engines but dragging weight they’re gonna be working very hard. 

The 540i I suspect you’ll find to be a gas gannet. (all be it a quick one!)

You asked, my opinion given.

I also think the 530D Xdrive is the best bet if you want to tow and have performance with good economy. Only question for me would be what else might the government do to penalise diesels in the future.

The alternative is the 540i Xdrive, which depends on your economy expectations, annual mileage,  but gives all the performance you will need. On a run, expect mid 30's and mid 20's in town, less when towing. My 22,000 mile average was 34.1mpg

For either, in my opinion, best extras are comfort seats, Icon adaptive headlights, HK stereo, adaptive dampers and advanced parking

Of course the 520D will do the job as well, but if you keep cars for such a long time, you may have that thought in the back of your mind that you should have gone for one of the 6 cylinder models!

Good luck

I’ve had a G31 520d and a G31 530d and based on that I’d unhesitatingly go for the 530d. I plan to keep mine a long time. If you plan to tow much I’d redouble my recommendation for the 530d, there’s no substitute for cylinders and capacity IMHO. I wouldn’t worry much about diesel - it’ll be a long time before trucks run on much else. I do very few motorway miles, mostly to-and-froing and up to 20 mile runs and I get 37mpg in the 3.0 where I used to get 42 in the 2.0 so unless you’re doing lots of miles the economy is pretty irrelevant. The 2 litre engine always sounds busy and although it’s quick enough it always seems to need a bit of urging to get on with things. The 3 litre is an effortless drive and exhilarating if you want it to be with light handling and glued to the road. Unless you’re a gadget freak I wouldn’t worry overmuch about the spec either as the base car is well equipped but for me Icon lights, HUD and full electric seats are important. The pan roof is nice but has a history of expensive problems. Maybe full active collision kit if you do lots of miles on busy roads but I tried it and thought it a waste of time where I live. The base stereo is fine for my mid-70-year-old ears but lots of people complain about it. I have automatic parking but I’ve never even tried it once in 2 years. Don’t get tints as it makes rear vision terrible and much worse at night. The xDrive costs 10% or so in economy but laughs winter roads off compared with 2WD especially with winter or cross climate tyres. Just my 2p.

I own a 520d but drive 530ds in work. Around town I get 43 to 53mpg in the 20d with around 60mpg on a motorway. For single occupant, unloaded performance the 20d is adequate. But any significant load blunts the performance. The 30ds can be economical but only once warm. Short town drives yield 30mpg but this rises to 38 when warm. On a run you can 55mpg. The performance from the 30d is effortless regardless of load. 
Xdrive does aid in poorer weather but can be temperamental in regards tyres and wear. You will need to keep all 4 at a similar tread depth. I personally prefer rwd and find all season tyres make a rwd quite good in poor weather. But I don’t tow, if I did then xdrive could be useful.

I would definitely look for adaptive suspension, sports seats with lumbar, upgraded adaptive lights too. HUD would be good.

Consumption for a 540i (you did ask): So far for me mid-20s on urban and best to date mid-high 30s on a run (fully loaded) ................

I have an LCI 540i Msport G31 - currently average around 29 MPG with mostly very small trips, I expect to improve significantly, hopefully mid 30s+, when I can travel further afield ...

I currently average 6.5 l/100km which converts to 43.4 mpg in a RWD 530d G31.

I'm also intending to keep the car past warranty, which for me means picking a car that only has the options that you absolutely want and nothing that you don't really care about but could cause trouble or cost money. For me that means no 4WD, no sunroof, no adaptive anything. I have an almost zero-option car now, the only thing I really wanted was nav and the 6 cylinder engine. It's an absolute gem of an engine and I wouldn't trade it for any other option.

Thanks very much guys.

It’s going to be a car that’s used for longer trips. I work 5 minutes away from home so it’ll be sat on the drive until needed.

I was always thinking 3L.

I’ve currently got a r32 golf so I’m trying to keep some pennies in my wallet rather than the local petrol garage.

cheers for the help. Now to sell the golf and find the right car

I have a 530d xdrive touring as well. Agree with all of the points raised esp options. Mine has the factory electric towbar, adaptive and panoramic roof.

Performance is great, picks up speed so smoothly passengers don’t notice when you are really pushing on.

Almost impossible to get the wheels spinning, push the throttle down and it gathers pace at an impressive rate. Your R32 likely be the same (always wanted one of those).

The panoramic blind has been replaced once already and I just leave it rolled up most of the time, figure it is going to fail again if used too much. I like the light it brings, rarely use the sunroof, but would think twice about it if I planned to keep the car long term, lots of debate if extended warranty will touch it.

I only use the towbar for a bike carrier, it is a great bit of kit but recently it has got a bit sticky and needed assistance to go up. Standard aftermarket detachable probably much better for the long run.

Adaptive is very good, car rides well but have not driven a standard car for comparison. 
Lights are standard LED and are not great. If I get another G31 will certainly upgrade those.

My last four cars all had a reversing camera and I don’t have it in this, big regret but I am getting over it.

Like others have said Diesel will be around for a long while due to Trucks. Just maybe some uncertainty about city driving limitations. 

I will likely change mine early next year (I don’t own, just PCP). I am noticing some big incentives on stock new ones so I may be tempted to go 530d again unless the 545e is out....

I have a 2017 G31 520d.  I do mostly free-flowing A-Road, dual carriageway and a bit of motorway and, in just over 30,000 miles, I've averaged 42mpg.

If you're towing, I'd go for a 530d.  

As another poster said and if you're planning on keeping the car long term, go for the options you really need rather than a car with everything.  It's a clever car, but there's lots to go wrong.......

If you  for ever and towing I'd go for either 525d which are as rare as hens teeth of a 530d with probably a bias to the 530d as you will towing something heavy. I had an F11 with the with the 4 pot twin turbo (525d) and it had very decent torque and grunt, the G31 it was based on the newer engine and offers even more grunt. The added benefit of having four wheel driven in the 530d would be a huge advantage I would assume. I have just bought a 520d G31 and It seems to have decent oomph, but I reckon it would not have the necessary torque and horse power to make for easy running whilst towing another car. If I had the budget I would have gone for a 530d myself...