iReaper1157

What are these units

The top one looks like the MULF (Bluetooth module) with the green wire, and the black one looking like the fibre-optic.

Is the bottom one for the Smart NAV system? I see that written on the box, but I don't have one in mine; it was an extra.

3 hours ago, Changy said:

The top one looks like the MULF (Bluetooth module) with the green wire, and the black one looking like the fibre-optic.

Is the bottom one for the Smart NAV system? I see that written on the box, but I don't have one in mine; it was an extra.

It was the black 12v DC controller I was unsure about. Yeah smart nav system but no idea how it works or what it is. The earth wire had been pulled out of its connecter so have never been on but with how it’s wired in I don’t think it’s been fitted by BMW. 

15 hours ago, iReaper1157 said:

A battery for what pal? 

Sorry - a slightly clearer answer: of the two photos you asked about, the first one (12v DC operation only) is a battery. The second photo is a combined Sat Nav and Tracking unit.

If the car is stolen, and the thief disconnects the battery, the battery in the first photo can still power the tracker unit to allow tracking and recovery. 

Although, it should probably be a bit better hidden than it is....

26 minutes ago, Stevenrl said:

Sorry - a slightly clearer answer: of the two photos you asked about, the first one (12v DC operation only) is a battery. The second photo is a combined Sat Nav and Tracking unit.

If the car is stolen, and the thief disconnects the battery, the battery in the first photo can still power the tracker unit to allow tracking and recovery. 

Although, it should probably be a bit better hidden than it is....

Ahhhh right ok. So I’m guessing it works with the sat nav thing then. Do you know anything about these sat navs? Struggling to think why it would be needed as the car comes with sat nav. 

Fairly common early-ish sav nav system that includes traffic monitoring and tracking etc. I deeply suspect many of my company cars had this kind of thing installed. They usually operated on some kind of subscription model.

Here's a link to a manual - should give some useful info:

http://imdomino.imgroup.co.uk/imggb/www/subaru_accessories.nsf/975cb7cb3fbab5fc80256d3900545528/2381316fe08ec73a802575fb00340c17/$FILE/Smartnav User Manual.pdf