Captain Beaky

Drivers Side Sound Deadening Needed

Not the ideal moment to fail but the clutch master cylinder has been leaking into the cabin so cylinder needs swapping out, however the foam sound deadening under the carpet  is contaminated with brake fluid now, because the fluid has run down the cylinder and bulkhead.

Does anyone have any Drivers floor/bulkhead sound deadening spare because i want to change mine? 

I had the same problem, exacerbated with water ingress. I managed after much searching to get one but it turned out worse than the existing, so after last years re-furb I cleaned up what I had and reinstalled it. A real PITA brawd.

that's the problem finding another

alternatively I may take it out remove the foam underside and bond better closed cell foam onto the hard top surface, i assume that is a rubber type compound

lets see how it goes

Problem is the hard rubber covering for the foam rubber is brittle after all these years, cracks and crumbles.

It would be interesting to hear how you get on with some pics please.

Edited by Taffy 1

Well Taffy the damage is far beyond my expectation, its been leaking for a while, my fault for topping the reservoir up and assuming the slave cylinder was to blame,

I only done it twice but that was enough, however with Covid I have not even covered a 1000 mile since buying her so maybe the leak was there originally, who knows.

I'll have to treat the floor and repaint it before looking at the sound deadening, the main concern now is getting the fluid out of the chassis rail 

IMG_1275.thumb.JPG.d7003d353d71f16ee198be1ef0d4b17c.JPG

IMG_1276.thumb.JPG.03470b81e737beac69043516863ef570.JPG

IMG_1277.thumb.JPG.55a443f01915d4bfe79974c8c1deacf4.JPG

IMG_1278.thumb.JPG.62c3b707a256e6e7c1dec736ae9bb390.JPG

IMG_1279.thumb.JPG.46e3ff863e16b8deccd7b97534515689.JPG

IMG_1280.thumb.JPG.2fc0d980cd3a84ebd0b051bbf2364d41.JPG

IMG_1281.thumb.JPG.910678bf68f3000cb35d05787542c05a.JPG

IMG_1282.thumb.JPG.8a85c5d5668c799badb1d447fbb4772f.JPG

Hi CB,

Ouch, that looks to have been evolving over a few years :shock:

On the bright side you found it now, not another few years down the line after it has rusted terminally :roll:

Should have purchased a switchable auto :wink:

Best regards and stay safe,

Mick

That's awful mate, I'll keep an ear to the ground for a sound proofing piece for you. I did exactly the same as you and kept topping up the reservoir. Mine was far worse however - water leaking into the cab had added to the mix.

Which car is this?

Edited by Taffy 1

This is the M535i I bough from Gary Francis in  September 2019, I think he only finished it in 2016 I think so it could have been leaking slowly soon after that. Normally I would have been all over it but last year I was so desperate to get out and do some motoring I just topped it up a few times and thought lets get a cylinder ready and change it when I get time but I bought a slave cylinder that's what happens when you think you know and don't look!!!!

Any how it gives me a chance to use the battery grinder I bough myself during lockup, best thing ever. I cleaned it up last night with the wire wheel and wiped it over with degreaser and isopropanol, main  thing is to remove the contamination.

Second problem is Gary treated the floor with a rubberised coating and I'm not sure what it is but in addition I've looked at alternatives and there are none around as in no body has stock?? Big O I may need a favour as there seems to be plenty over the pond.

Ignore the Amazon multiple plug's but this article is really interesting for product information.

https://soundproofliving.com/sound-deadening-sprays-cars/

lastly I messaged Tims to see what he has in the underlay, so that may turn something up as it would be possible to replace the foam but it would have to be layered to create the form as the original is shaped to fit between the air ducts and floor pan form

3 hours ago, Captain Beaky said:

Any how it gives me a chance to use the battery grinder I bough myself during lockup, best thing ever. I cleaned it up last night with the wire wheel and wiped it over with degreaser and isopropanol, main  thing is to remove the contamination.

Second problem is Gary treated the floor with a rubberised coating and I'm not sure what it is but in addition I've looked at alternatives and there are none around as in no body has stock?? Big O I may need a favour as there seems to be plenty over the pond.

Ignore the Amazon multiple plug's but this article is really interesting for product information.

https://soundproofliving.com/sound-deadening-sprays-cars/

lastly I messaged Tims to see what he has in the underlay, so that may turn something up as it would be possible to replace the foam but it would have to be layered to create the form as the original is shaped to fit between the air ducts and floor pan form

Hi CB,

Snap, also acquired a battery grinder:

https://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/grinders/small-angle-grinders/20v-max-xr-45-in-paddle-switch-small-angle-grinder-with-kickback-brake-tool-only/dcg413b

28e88a2b-4a9d-49f1-bcfb-eb9f2e4c38b5._SR285,285_.jpg

Have you tried reaching out to Gary about what coating he used?

An interesting article about sound deadening.  I have installed Dynamat inside the doors of the Zobelbraun Eta but yet to do the cabin floor.  I have some more thin Dynamat to replace the backing behind the door cards.

Let me know if I can help out with product procurement and shipping across the pond once you have selected a product.

Happy Easter to you and your family.

Stay safe and best regards,

Mick

Hey Mick

Happy Easter to you and the family also,. what's it like weather wise out there? been out in the car yet or is it too early.

Yes i will drop Gary a message, am not to concerned about which particular product I use as long as it is good but so far Upol, 3M's Dupoint and Rust-o-leum   are the preferred ones but none are available over here

Well Taffy it didn't get much better today, I spent most of it sorting out the wiring loom after the central locking stopped working and the dash lights also, but its much more uniform and tidy.

So I'm still at the same point I need to swap out the master cylinder which does not look like a forgiving job, at least the decontamination is done and the floor treated with rust remover and inhibitor.

IMG_1287.thumb.JPG.1c5403e54457b5624d86a9f81fdbac01.JPG

IMG_1290.thumb.JPG.cfe94d1dc4c0cdbabce5c6151fe33689.JPG

IMG_1291.thumb.JPG.86fe2614cf74c9298630e7d0a73465e1.JPG

IMG_1292.thumb.JPG.e12e0ca164219cdcc70f05286b96d640.JPG

Dunc if you are reading this also do you know what this part of the harness is for in the picture below, its under the drivers seat between the cross rails?

IMG_1289.thumb.JPG.2c98d7b03adb646741fa1f8519e810f5.JPG

Afraid not. Mine didn't have them and I had the seats in and out fairly often for track days.

Might it have had fancy electric seats at some point?

Or if I recall it's a C plate and there was a change in October 85 so maybe the loom changed then?

Think you have parts of my car in yours now as Gary had some bits off me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I remember seeing this car down in Gary's Mum's place and drooling, what a shame! Well CB for what it's worth, I stripped and welded both front floors due to rust , primed and painted them and soundproofed the finished product (the whole cabin) in ersatz dynamat. I cleaned and treated everything I could to get rid of fluid and damp leaving my original sound proofing out for months to dry. Funnily enough the sound proofing I discarded as being worse was from Tim. 

Did you sort out the central locking afterwards and if so what was wrong?

As far as the rubber coating is concerned there was a firm in Yate retailing some stuff that was supposed to be the dog's whatsits. I'll see if I can find some info.

Just remembered, they werre called "Buzzweld".

Edited by Taffy 1

CB,

Stuff is called Lizardskin. I beleive it is a top quality US product that these people stock.

12 hours ago, Captain Beaky said:

Dunc if you are reading this also do you know what this part of the harness is for in the picture below, its under the drivers seat between the cross rails?

IMG_1289.thumb.JPG.2c98d7b03adb646741fa1f8519e810f5.JPG

Hi CB,

The loom is for the seat heating for both driver and passenger front seats.

Info from a 2016 post back when I was researching this topic prior to installing heated seats into the Diamantschwartz Eta and the Zobelbraun Eta:

Obtained the wiring loom for the drivers side (part no 61.12.1.381.723):

post-52342-0-39222100-1454414868_thumb.j

which contains the C302 connector plugs:

post-52342-0-52503500-1454415184_thumb.j

pin 6 (green blue) appears to be an ignition switched live that powers an enabling (86) relay (85) (part no 61.31.1.373.588) back to the ground G200.  Pin 3 (red yellow) is switched by the (30) relay (87) emerging (green red) to the switches.  The single plug pin 22 (red grey) appears to be for the heated seat switch illumination:

post-52342-0-09471000-1454415471_thumb.j

Which connects to the Connector C302:

56c5cdd418b8d_E28HeatedSeatsConnectorC30

also contains a socket connector (C433) for the passenger loom plug:

post-52342-0-66003700-1454416051_thumb.j

Seat heating (green red), ground (brown) and switch illumination (red grey).

the socket for the switch (part no 61.31.1.381.208):

post-52342-0-60102000-1454416316_thumb.j

power in (green red), switched power to seat (red), switched power to seat (red yellow), switch illumination (red grey) and ground (brown).

the loom to seat socket connector (C422):

post-52342-0-65765400-1454416616_thumb.j

switched power (red), switched power (red yellow), jumper lead (yellow) to switched power (red yellow) and ground (brown).

and finally the system ground connector (G200):

post-52342-0-85190100-1454417846_thumb.j

Passenger side wiring loom (part no 61.12.1.381.724):

post-52342-0-78108300-1454416993_thumb.j

which consists of a plug (C433) to connect to the drivers loom:

post-52342-0-66003700-1454416051_thumb.j

Seat heating (green red), ground (brown) and switch illumination (red grey).

the socket for the switch (part no 61.31.1.381.208):

post-52342-0-60102000-1454416316_thumb.j

power in (green red), switched power to seat (red), switched power to seat (red yellow), switch illumination (red grey) and ground (brown).

and finally the loom to seat socket connector (C421):

post-52342-0-65765400-1454416616_thumb.j

switched power (red), switched power (red yellow), jumper lead (yellow) to switched power (red yellow) and ground (brown).

the sport seat base heating element (part no 64.11.1.376.034) with seat to loom plug (C422 drivers side & C421 passenger side)):

post-52342-0-79746600-1454417374_thumb.j

the sport seat back rest heating element (part no 64.11.1.376.035) which the wires are not yet connected to a plug:

post-52342-0-75885300-1454417637_thumb.j

because they need to pass through the seat side rails using a grommet (part no 61.21.8.050.550) before being plugged into the seat base loom plug (C422 drivers side & C421 passenger side):

post-52342-0-28753400-1454417678_thumb.j

Seat Heating Wiring Diagram 5200-3:

56c5ce5176f18_E28HeatedSeats-WiringDiagr

Just need to plug it in and test the system before fitting the elements to the seats and the looms to the Eta.

The loom fitting to the Eta should be relatively easy.

The element fitting to the seats will be more involved and require disassembly which will be conducted when the electrical seat adjustment (possibly with memory) is ready to be installed at the same time.

The loom for the switches is long enough to fit them into the center console either side of the radio.  This works on both air-conditioned and non-air conditioned variants.

Diamantschwartz Eta installation:

IMG_1716.JPG.e37b6a5025b4448fce1d986d7290b532.JPG

Zobelbraun Eta installation:

IMG_1703.JPG.4d89c12838e86d886a280e3cf3dbba58.JPG

The seat heating elements (back & base) and switches still look to be available but the relay is NLA :roll:

If you are not going to use seat heating then I will give you a fair price for both the drivers side and passenger side looms.  The Bronzitbeige Eta needs  looms for me to retrofit this option.

Mick

Edited by Ordnator

Hey Big O

I'm not going to use them, Gary built the seats from different sets using the best parts and painted them, very clever guy!  You can have the bits i don't want anything for them but ill sent some pictures over to make sure we are on the same page.

I may even remove the carpet and go to black instead of the beige, i'm halfway there, Ivor are you still looking for a beige joby?

Yes Lizzard Skin in the dogs gonads but again I can't find anyone with stock, however my brother inlaw works for a transport company and he has some rubberized rust encapsulator they use so i will get some tuesday to try

lastly if I was not down an E28 the Little Donkey failed its mot, rear drivers sill inner is crusty! 

But my man has a guy there who is spot on Rolff the German, I met up with him today to discuss the job and he is going to cut out the outer sill work through to remove the inner and make the repair the fabricate the outer to better than new, knows his stuff  and saves removing the rear beam.

Pictures to follow hopefully

5 hours ago, Taffy 1 said:

Oh and Happy Easter to yourself and family Mick!

Hi Ivor,

Happy Easter to you and Catherine.

Mick & Janet

11 hours ago, Captain Beaky said:

Yes Lizzard Skin in the dogs gonads but again I can't find anyone with stock, however my brother inlaw works for a transport company and he has some rubberized rust encapsulator they use so i will get some tuesday to try

If you read my text Clive you will see that Buzzweld of Yate, Bristol are stockists of Lizardskin.

Kind regards,

Ivor

Edited by Taffy 1

lastly if I was not down an E28 the Little Donkey failed its mot, rear drivers sill inner is crusty! 

But my man has a guy there who is spot on Rolff the German, I met up with him today to discuss the job and he is going to cut out the outer sill work through to remove the inner and make the repair the fabricate the outer to better than new, knows his stuff  and saves removing the rear beam.

Pictures to follow hopefully

Gawd, it never rains does it?

Hey Big O

I'm not going to use them, Gary built the seats from different sets using the best parts and painted them, very clever guy!  You can have the bits i don't want anything for them but ill sent some pictures over to make sure we are on the same page.

I may even remove the carpet and go to black instead of the beige, i'm halfway there, Ivor are you still looking for a beige joby?

Yes Clive, how much do you want for one? DM me.

Hey Big O

Take a look at the pictures, I removed this from the car today, I had to undo all my cable management for the harness :lol::lol: but the car is lighter now.

Looking at this it has both seats covered, let me know. It was connected under the dash on the drivers side.

IMG_1313.thumb.JPG.7f1f9ced5393b610993728b9f5a2530f.JPG

IMG_1314.thumb.JPG.554a194461e4d324fed2fb2a15c8e300.JPG