Sign in to follow this  
Neil A

Interim oil changes

I've just picked up a 66 plate 520D on 42k miles and it's done over 10k miles since the last service. The oil is proper black and smells of diesel. I'm not a fan of extended servicing intervals anyway. So my question is, if I get a  local indie to do just an interim oil change can they then reset the onboard service computer but just for the oil change? I don't want to throw any of the other service timings out of kilter (inspections, brakes etc). 

Its quite normal for oil to be black, it will do this within a few hundred miles of being changed, also that it smells of diesel to some extent.

Definetly a good idea to do an interim oil change!

You can reset the service indicator yourself quite easily: 

Why reset the oil CBS counter if there are still about 10k left? It won't create any service history in your iDrive system but at the background, it will count how many times it's been reset. As you said, it's an interim oil change between BMW's service interval. What I usually do is let the CBS keep counting. It starts with 18k after reset. When it says 9-10k left, I change oil and filter by myself but not reset the CBS. Then, when it count to around 1k, do another service and reset the counter. 

I thought it might create a line item in the CBS log. If not I'll just do the oil change and wait for the 'official' service. The receipts/invoices can act as proof of maintenance.

The CBS will log the number of times each service counters have been reset so far. However, it will not be visible unless you have any diagnosis tool. I'm using the bimmerlink which recently added such feature. You will definitely not be able to see a new record in the service history section in your iDrive screen.

Don't bother resetting it, do an interim service and keep the original records.

What many people do is an actual service with reset and 9 or 10k just have an interim one, then complete the next 7 or 8k and reset it. 

Engine oil will be black in a few miles, it is entirely normal.