Sign in to follow this  
Pissant

Choices.....

Ok gents, quick one ,

My E61, 137k dpf/cat/egr gone, t/stat and w/pump done, serviced, clean n tidy, se 530d.......drives, stops looks smart.......

OR

2001 E39 530d wagon.....tiptronic box 200k+ miles, needs  abit of work, but basicly solid.

Been offered one for not a fortune, and I dont mind tinkering..

Lot of people say the E39 is a better car , so any thoughts. 

Cheers Dave.

Depends why you want it, as a daily you might be better with the devil you know BUT i have a 530d touring albeit manual and it does everything we need very well and returns 43/44 mpg.

Thinking of a change but finding a suitable replacement is tricky!

My worry is the body, its fine but needs a couple of things attending too shortly so the key question is probably the condition of the shell as to whether "yours" is viable.

I haven't had a look at the car yet, d/s front wing is toast, but the seller rekons the rest is solid. Think it will depend on the rear arches, sills I can handle, but making  a good job of rear arches is a bit beyond me. I wanted an E39 in the beginning but couldn't find one. 43/44 mpg ! Heaven......

Mines manual and that's off the OBC but it often does Newcastle and back on a tank with some running around which is a good 550+ miles.

i've not experienced an e60/1 but other newer BMW's feel a little less robust - it was ever thus i fear but the e39 is DIYable and still a nice car to drive.

We had a vauxhall grand X loan car for a bit and my wife much preferred the e39 even though by her own admission she doesn't like estates!

I have never managed more than 36 on obc, and that was when I first got it, real world mpg is 33-34, but i like it so dont worry. Always had a thing for the E39, and from what I have seen, they only seem to go up in price,  but that's not the issue. 

Just wondering if they drive/handle any better than the 61, good friend of mine rekons the e39 is the best cabin of any car to sit in ......

But he is biased ( has a B10 alpina ).

Well i have Bluetooth streaming now which was the only modern thing i was missing and I've done 800 miles in one sitting (with a fuel stop and ferry) and whilst i can't say i was fresh i was in no discomfort - some cars i tend to get a sore right thigh through lack of support.

My mum has a 19 plate Audi A1 TFSI which i borrowed for same Newcastle run and apart from DAB and how the phone integrated i didn't miss anything getting back in the e39 it only did 48mpg on the journey which surprised me, ok petrol is cheaper but its a much smaller car and i wasn't thrashing it.

Its a cliche but the e39 feels engineered rather than built to a price, not quite in the same way an e34 was as there are things like the hidden bits aren't lacquered but still feels solid.

Its lack of tech is probably what lets it down.

As i say its why you want it i guess. Though i love mine and have full faith in it at 176k its because i bought it at 129k and have worked my way through it at some cost.

I'm not sure i'd buy one with 200k to be the daily family car as ours is

Hi. E 60/61 is fantastic car. I had e60 and e61 plus f10 and i can tell you that built quality of e61 is very good. I think that sound proofing is better in e61 compared to f10. Yes e60 can be pain in arse with its electronics,but i just love e60. Also it was disigned and built before 2008 financial crunch,so engineers had more freedom rather that salesmen. Just think of m5 with a mighty v10 in it. I think that e60 is still modern enough car,that looks and drives great. Offcourse its only my IMHO.

Just like Yuri84, I bought my 530d ( late 2003 ) over three years ago and after about six months was cursing the day I ever saw it, as something else seem to go wrong every week.    Roll on to the present and I wouldn't part with it. Spent overall over the years about exactly what I paid for it and I really appreciate the car now for its build quality, soundproofing and overall comfort.   Yes it's still a pain at times but it will be here as long as I will, although without these forums it could well have been long gone.  

Just did a quick breakdown of all repairs over the three plus years and would you believe it works out at about £25 per month on average.  The only thing not working is the navigation, but at my age I am pretty sure I know exactly where i'm coming from, and where i'm going to so no dramas there.

The concern for me is rust. That is what would put me off a 20 year old E39 over a 15 year old E60. The E39 will start rusting at some point if it has not already, the E61 will not (well not the body anyway, the only things rusty on mine are some screws and bolts!)

I have owned both and think the E60 is a better car in almost every way.

Edited by edd_jedi

2 hours ago, edd_jedi said:

The E39 will start rusting at some point if it has not already, the E61 will not (well not the body anyway, the only things rusty on mine are some screws and bolts!)

Maybe my E60 is a bad example but the rust at both sides of the fuel tank and above the rear subframe are some early signs I would say. Body and wheel arches are in good shape though.

Rust would be a worry on the e39 as previously said. Triple skinned sills, jacking points ect.. I had to have some major welding on mine on the sills. 

My e61 drives nicer than my e39 touring did(lighter if you get me) but the doors on the e61 don't close with the same solid thud that the e39 did, especially the rear ones. 

Edited by Syemondo
Typo

Hmmm rust issues are my main concern,  i have some rust on my E61, on the tailgate and where the rear glass closes onto the gate itself. But its only surface. The lip on the rear arches has some bubbling, so I think id best get it sorted sooner rather than later.

Im still waiting for pics of the E39 so still in limbo.  Thanks for the replys. 

17 hours ago, Pissant said:

Hmmm rust issues are my main concern,  i have some rust on my E61, on the tailgate and where the rear glass closes onto the gate itself. But its only surface. The lip on the rear arches has some bubbling, so I think id best get it sorted sooner rather than later.

Im still waiting for pics of the E39 so still in limbo.  Thanks for the replys. 

If your concerned about that amount of rust steer clear of the e39 with 200k & a front wing that's toast.

As a daily anyway,  a project that's your choice but judging by your signature I'm guessing you like project's. 

Like Syemondo says & I'm in agreement with the rust (all cars do but some better than others) & I wanted 

a e39 530d manual sport estate for year's but gave up due to rust issue's.

Have a good look through the project's pages at e39's & you'll see plenty of rust repairs,

Yes there are some great car's out there but most have been lovingly cared for &  owned since low mileage 

or pampered since low mileage & if for sale there price reflects this.

FLX's e60 is in my experience not a great example (on the underside, at purchase) maybe lived by the coast

But his rust issue's were superficial compared to a 200k e39

Dan1979's car is a stunning example, but it was a Jap import (no road salt & low mileage) & he's done loads

to get it in it's current condition & would be a pretty penny if you could convince him to part with it.

Re: the mpg thing, auto e61 530ds don't do great with stop start driving (warm up time & the slushmatic)

I get 32mpg in mine bone stock car but no flaps & I think my dpf has been tempered with (very sooty tailpipes)

But like duncan-uk I too get 550 to 600 miles to a tank on a good run ie down to Cornwall on our jolly's 

An xhp flash would help your gearbox & a eco map would help your mpg but offset the cost's 

to the savings & you'd need to cover a lot of miles if just done for the savings.

Just ask duncan-uk & Dan1979 what mpg they genuinely get doing day to day driving like you

& my money's on no better than 5mpg than you.

Just for reference my previous car was a 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 hdi 110 (mapped to around 150bhp)

Most people claimed to be getting 65 mpg :lol: best I ever got was 55 mpg & average was 45 

& that's the same day to day as I get 32 mpg from the e61.

I still have the 406 but would I sell the e61 & go back to it 'Hell No!' :)

It's a love / hate relationship but mostly love.

The OBC genuinely sits at about 43mpg since i last changed the battery at least 18 months ago. Its a mix of town driving and long motorway runs - resetting for a long run i have seen 47mpg.

Obviously at the moment its town stuff, it is a manual though but i still find it impressive.

On a trip to the south of france cruising at 130kph and the hilly local work when we got there trip average was a touch over 40.

Its impressive  for an 18 yr old car.