Andy G

Light of day, 1st time in 5 years

I decided today was going to be the day my dads 528i came out of the unit.

Its been tucked away for a good 5 years, if not more, yesterday it had new oil and filter new air filter and new cabin filters. Recently it had a new battery, fuel pump and alternator.

So out she comes.

Sounds really nice, especially now its had a service, a good clean to assess what 5 years has done to an e39. In that time it has been covered but the covers allowed water in at some stage with hard water stains evident on the paint.

Cleaned it down with white vinegar to remove the hard water deposits, then a damn good wash down and wet wash ceramic clean. A full on polish is to follow.

Drives so good, soft, pliable, comfortable, real old school but it was good to hear it running and get it moving again. 

But has a few issues, namely the boot latch, in that its decided it doesn't want to keep shut, I can hear the regulator activating with the locking but the lock/latch won't grab the bar, something bent/out of alignment or just needing replacing, something for the coming few days. Then a question as to what do with it. My dad has owned this since 2000, the 2nd owner and it has a full service history to back the car up. Maybe I'll use it as my car is due to end its PCP come Sept and if I'm not working still by then (or doing my normal job) then it will become my day to day!

IMG_20210325_095731.jpg

IMG_20210325_095743.jpg

IMG_20210325_095755.jpg

IMG_20210325_101054.jpg

IMG_20210325_101113.jpg

The boot latch problem will probably just be a broken spring. Usually you can reshape the end to fit it back while you source a new one or just leave it as modified.

Lovely car; great engine too 8) 

Re the boot latch; have you give the internals a good cleaning with WD40 and then followed up with some spray lithium grease? Could be that it's just gunked up (fingers crossed) but they're fairly readily replaceable if something is knackered inside etc

Personally; I'd keep it. It's an SE and they're not as sought after as the Sport spec E39s; but as you said, such a good ride too that you rarely get from cars these days... ;) 

Nice and very early too, i'm sure i read (maybe in evo) Chris Harris reckoned a 528i SE on 16's was the perfect combination. Those wheels need to stay though!

Same thing happened to the boot of my e36 M3 saloon, somewhat inconveniently at the start of a holiday in Devon, Appledore if i remember rightly.

Lovely motor, really nice.

I had an SE, absolutely loved it. Wrote it off unfortunately and found the bargain of the decade run-out Sport. Always thought the SE was the nicer of the two overall.

Edited by wsn03

thank you all, it'll stay exactly as it is, no M para's or larger alloys.

its a great drive though, just going to get it prep'd for an mot, get the brake fluid changed etc then it'll be ready for summer duties.

The boot, well I've yet to have a look and I take it you just remove the black plastic trim on the inside to access the thing, so thats something for the next few days.

What an absolute beauty well done and as a daily driver it would be a great choice. I smiled when I saw your reference to white vinegar, I used to live in Spain and drive a Corrado Vr6. Cooling issues were the Achilles heel of this car and once I went to the garage and they had flushed the cooling system out only to refill it with white vinegar. They ran the car to get it moving around the system and you would not believe the extra crap that came out when they flushed it thru again! 

Nice looking car, same colour as my '98 523i SE & even the same alloys.  I agree about the ride, though come the summer I'll experiment with the tyres as the Michelin X climates I had fitted last autumn are a bit noisy.

Only obvious difference is that mine has dark blue fabric interior, I'm not a lover of hide.

I wish you well with it ... enjoy !

well it looks like its the spring so I'll go hunting and order one up, thanks for the pointers and comments, and the white vinegar, its uprising what uses it has.

I don't think I'd daily drive it because rust-free, good condition E39s are starting to get rare. It's a good spec and has the right engine for it to be a desirable future classic. Of course, I'm prejudiced because I bought an early 528i for exactly that reason.