vdt

Alexa on a 2019 530e

The voice control is deplorable, and that’s being kind about it ! 

Anyone know if/how we can add Alexa to the iDrive?? 

Thanks in advance. 

Hmm. Voice control in mine (2019 iDrive 6) seems very good.

I added Alexa via the smartphone app (IIRC); it did take several attempts.

2019 iDrive 6

I don’t think the Alexa app is available in Ireland. It certainly doesn’t show on the Hub tab of the BMW Connected iOS app. Apple watch is all that appears. 

On 3/23/2021 at 9:16 PM, vdt said:

The voice control is deplorable, and that’s being kind about it ! 

Anyone know if/how we can add Alexa to the iDrive?? 

Thanks in advance. 

I used this link where there is also a handy video that shows you how to set it all up with iDrive6:

https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/07/24/how-to-set-up-amazon-alexa-in-your-bmw/

Now my challenge is deciding if I prefer using Amazon Alexa or Apple Siri via CarPlay :neutral:

17 hours ago, TheRealNo07 said:

I used this link where there is also a handy video that shows you how to set it all up with iDrive6:

https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/07/24/how-to-set-up-amazon-alexa-in-your-bmw/

Now my challenge is deciding if I prefer using Amazon Alexa or Apple Siri via CarPlay :neutral:

I tried this myself earlier but I don't have the car integration option in the Alexa menu. My connected app only shows the Alexa skill integration. 

Anyone else managed to do this? 

40 minutes ago, JDX-90 said:

I tried this myself earlier but I don't have the car integration option in the Alexa menu. My connected app only shows the Alexa skill integration. 

Anyone else managed to do this? 

I've just came across an article which has this on the prerequisites:

"Available on vehicles with ID6 built from 11/18 featuring 11/18 software or higher" 

My car was registered 02/11/18 which I assume means it would have just missed out on this version of software? Maybe that's why I don't see the option? 

1 hour ago, bmwtransit said:

Can someone enlighten me to what exactly the Alexa app does? 

If you have amazon prime you have access to amazon music. If you then have the amazon music app on your phone you can access it when driving and other Alexa functions similar to someone having Alexa smart speaker at home

16 minutes ago, Stressed said:

If you have amazon prime you have access to amazon music. If you then have the amazon music app on your phone you can access it when driving and other Alexa functions similar to someone having Alexa smart speaker at home

Confirming the above full Alexa release notes from software update 11/2020 as follows:

333BEAEC-110D-4620-8532-4CBED83657DD.thumb.png.a99e1b00ce0eecda4822282aea93a279.pngl

To be honest I have only ever used Alexa on my phone when walking to tell amazon music what I want to listen to.

If I wanted info I suppose I'd ask Siri on my phone!

6 hours ago, Stressed said:

Ah right! I never knew I had music included with Prime. I set it all up ages ago then messed about with it but when it started playing music I turned it off thinking I'd just bought an album :rolleyes::D

I use my son's Spotify but it's a pain in the arse searching with the i-drive. I'll give it a go as the voice command would be a god send. Cheers mate!