AdamB

M62 cam covers - prepping/painting etc...

Firstly, can anyone show the differences between the vanos/non-vanos covers please?

Secondly, has anyone ever had theirs refurbished - either painted or powder coated.

ive read that these are a magnesium alloy, and suffer with oil impregnation, meaning that a repaint etc often flakes off again. (And the discolouration)

people have suggested baking the covers at high temps to drive the oil out of the material before having blasted/cleaned/refurbed.

has anyone done this?

is vapour blasting a good idea for this material (softer than media-blast), and might seal the pores up like it does on ally.

Yep, been there done that and my covers look like crap again. I had them cleaned by walnut shell blasting and heated prior to 2 pack paint maybe 4 or 5 years ago. They looked awesome for 12 months and stared to deteriorate slowly. Plenty of threads and examples if you do a search on the different E39:forums. If/when I do them again I’ll heat them a number of times to try and remove all possible oil traces and powder coat them.

They look good when fresh though!

I think the process is called ‘out-gassing’, I’ve done a little bit of reading about it.

primarily the idea is to burn out as much oil as possible, and also allow any residual air pockets in the material to breathe.

id like to find a spare pair of covers and do some prep work myself before giving to a powdercoater who is familiar with Mag/alloy.

ive a fair sized oven at work used for heating parts and drying silica gel which should be perfect for the task. It’s max temp is a little over 200 deg C, so should hopefully be enough. Recommendations are to bake until they have stopped smoking.

ideally I’d want the covers lightly stripped/cleaned first to get rid of any excess oil/sludge and remove paint.

id then bake them before having re-cleaned.

only after that would I give them to someone to coat.

i really like the original silver, but I’m quite tempted by a black wrinkle finish.

On 3/23/2021 at 8:16 PM, AdamB said:

They look good when fresh though!

I think the process is called ‘out-gassing’, I’ve done a little bit of reading about it.

primarily the idea is to burn out as much oil as possible, and also allow any residual air pockets in the material to breathe.

id like to find a spare pair of covers and do some prep work myself before giving to a powdercoater who is familiar with Mag/alloy.

ive a fair sized oven at work used for heating parts and drying silica gel which should be perfect for the task. It’s max temp is a little over 200 deg C, so should hopefully be enough. Recommendations are to bake until they have stopped smoking.

ideally I’d want the covers lightly stripped/cleaned first to get rid of any excess oil/sludge and remove paint.

id then bake them before having re-cleaned.

only after that would I give them to someone to coat.

i really like the original silver, but I’m quite tempted by a black wrinkle finish.

I've a pair of valve covers off a x5 4.4 m62 engine I'd sell cheap if your interested? 

2 hours ago, thomp1983 said:

I've a pair of valve covers off a x5 4.4 m62 engine I'd sell cheap if your interested? 

Vanos?

where are you located?

On 3/26/2021 at 1:49 PM, thomp1983 said:

They are vanos yes, I'm in newark, Barry's pm'd about them already so he's first inline im afraid

Chris

Did they get sold?

Does anyone have recommendations for someone who can properly refurb the covers.

so far I’ve had two quotes, one person has said £45 per cover, the other said £75 per cover! (Both +vat!) - bit more than I was expecting tbh.

(especially as I have 2 sets I want done!)

So I’m not having much luck!

both sets I bought were stripped and chromated, but have bad pitting and casting marks in.

51846B03-9675-4CCE-B9CA-8B5A4E378A7A.thumb.jpeg.8b11cd00da620deb01b8afddf18d89df.jpeg

941FCC43-D130-48FA-B850-76D251BF9521.thumb.jpeg.41568a397075f4e1746e78c182c29901.jpeg

the first set (the better pair) I had coated straight after with silver, which if anything has made the marks more visible!

7C56C883-3297-45F0-A740-CC34DAE32ACD.jpeg.738bfd80a5b4b309de1d6793863c7ff1.jpeg

2FD93607-46A9-4962-AF83-694759DB13DA.thumb.jpeg.2b38db0e0179e85baf5b3484b22a1f0f.jpeg

D89AA967-1639-4B59-8BD0-36CB9CA0F36F.thumb.jpeg.1102ee7a1fdb60701b9611b0a8060d2a.jpeg

the second set I’ve said the hold fire on as I’m not really sure what to do!

ive had it suggested to use jb weld to fill the imperfections on the coated set and then get them sprayed in high temp paint

this gives the issue of having to get the powder coated surface properly keyed for painting which is apparently a nightmare!

the second set I could either fill and spray directly with high temp paint, or have them coated with a “powder primer” first before filling, then prepping, then painting.

either way I’m already into these for more money than I wanted to spend and have no end in sight yet.

I just wanted a decent set of covers, done “properly” so that they would last 

not sure what to do…

When I repainted mine I didn't want to, but a buddy said "your car's so nice, it's a shame those covers are bubbling". He took them and powdercoated, lasted less than 3 months and it was bubbling worse than ever and leaking like as if they weren't present at all. 

I since then had them blasted and stripped, checked for staightness, filed some roughness in the seating surfaces for them gaskets and had them cerakoted. Didn't try to shoot for a thick coating that would hide the magnesium alloy shitty surface. They're rough, yes, but they're leak free and looks way better than bubbling paint. I coated all the hardware in Cadmium and used Hylomar Blue for the valve cover gaskets. 

Also avoid Victor Reinz, those gaskets leaks before a year. Go with Elring.

They look nice from 3 feet and don't darken, they keep that mattish "real metal" look

20201214_144333.thumb.jpg.15f92f0e24482585393d1bd42ef0a030.jpg

but they do have that roughness.20200615_234217.thumb.jpg.7d4f39ff383c547953f5462403d92e44.jpg

Slight off topic, but can I ask where does the breather connect to (circled below)? I couldn't seem to find a diagram on Realoem showing where/what was connected.  I've blanked it off for now, but it must go somewhere...image.png.d3ebca9105907af6719416385ca5396e.png

I think that's a mount provision for the X5 which uses a different CCV taht resembles an external oil catch can. I'll check up in my 540i tomorrow or the day after tomorrow, I was going to start smoke testing it because I don't have any symptomps but then I crack open the oil filler cap or remove the dipstic the idle feels slower but doesn't stumbles or unsettles as I recall it used to.