Sign in to follow this  
wsn03

Where do you guys get parts from?

I've not had my car for last 5 yrs, and prior to that it never really needed anything. Now going through an extensive overhaul and respray.

All engine parts have been coming from local dealer (my mechanic has an account with a big discount he passes on to me). 

I now need to start looking at all the frilly bits - lens covers possibly, rubbers, side covers, odd bits of trim.

Lot of BMW supply sites out there. What do people on here use for parts? Im interested in aftermarket as oem stocks disappear (or do BMW keep making?)

These are my main go-to's for the likes of suspension/cooling system stuff etc:

BMWmotormec: http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/BMW-MOTORMEC?_rdc=1

C3BMW:  https://www.c3bmw.co.uk/

With regards to body parts & parts I want to be OEM BMW, etc; I've always stuck with the forum sponsors @cotswoldbmwmini

Re headlight lenses covers; you need to make sure that the ones you have are replaceable as some can be removed by heating; the later ones are much harder to remove and generally they're either replaced with new full headlight units, or refurbished with wet n dry / 3M headlight restoration kit etc

Edited by d_a_n1979

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

These are my main go-to's for the likes of suspension/cooling system stuff etc:

BMWmotormec: http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/BMW-MOTORMEC?_rdc=1

C3BMW:  https://www.c3bmw.co.uk/

With regards to body parts & parts I want to be OEM BMW, etc; I've always stuck with the forum sponsors @cotswoldbmwmini

Re headlight lenses covers; you need to make sure that the ones you have are replaceable as some can be removed by heating; the later ones are much harder to remove and generally they're either replaced with new full headlight units, or refurbished with wet n dry / 3M headlight restoration kit etc

Thank you, that is a helpful insight and very much appreciated.

With regards headlights I used it as an example - didn't know they could be refurbished!!! As it is I think mine are ok as it happens, though the rubber shield that sits across the top of them is very flakey, so like the pieces that fit on the door uprights etc - just those long list of finishing touches - everything to be perfect makes it a long list.

The mechanic has a big trade discount so I'll stick with that - being in his "family and friends" list I get the full discount which I'm very grateful for (I think I deserve it, tomorrow I'm doing his books for example!!), and it really makes a very big difference - shocking how big the gap is from trade to retail, on a big job like this it really adds up.

My biggest general interest is parts availability, and pattern parts being good enough etc. So thank you, I now have some useful links to move forward with.

BMW still produce an amazing number of parts for what are now old cars so given the discount you can get I would stick to the dealer in your position and buy OE parts. Not being so lucky I try and avoid buying stuff with BMW stamped on it and look instead for the equivalent OEM parts without the price increasing emblem. 

12 minutes ago, stevecvo said:

BMW still produce an amazing number of parts for what are now old cars so given the discount you can get I would stick to the dealer in your position and buy OE parts. Not being so lucky I try and avoid buying stuff with BMW stamped on it and look instead for the equivalent OEM parts without the price increasing emblem. 

Good advice, thank you

On 3/20/2021 at 5:28 PM, stevecvo said:

+1 to that. Last year I needed a radiator fan shroud & Cotswold had the last one in the UK. Unfortunately it was damaged in transit to me so a replacement was sourced from Germany & arrived in 3 days ... for a price no higher than some EBay outlets.

12 hours ago, Norseman said:

+1 to that. Last year I needed a radiator fan shroud & Cotswold had the last one in the UK. Unfortunately it was damaged in transit to me so a replacement was sourced from Germany & arrived in 3 days ... for a price no higher than some EBay outlets.

I'm noticing parts prices and availability seems to be excellent - this is making life very easy so far

1 hour ago, wsn03 said:

I'm noticing parts prices and availability seems to be excellent - this is making life very easy so far

I've got quite a few parts for my touring over the last few years from Cotswolds BMW; more so the likes of the full undertray and front wheel arch liners, which came in at a price that was hell of a lot cheaper than expected. They told me at that time that BMW were looking to reduce their 'new old stock' so prices were dropped to be very competitive etc... So probably worth speaking to them to see what's needed, that needs to be OEM ideally :) 

34 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I've got quite a few parts for my touring over the last few years from Cotswolds BMW; more so the likes of the full undertray and front wheel arch liners, which came in at a price that was hell of a lot cheaper than expected. They told me at that time that BMW were looking to reduce their 'new old stock' so prices were dropped to be very competitive etc... So probably worth speaking to them to see what's needed, that needs to be OEM ideally :) 

Thank you, this all very helpful information.

i buy it from wherever is competetive. 

I use the online catalogues for the OEM providers and manufacturers i trust (Mahle, Hella, ATE, Meyle, Febi, Bremi, etc..) and then search for the part number in the usual places. a bit of cross referencing can save you £££'s in the long run.

1 hour ago, PL523i said:

i buy it from wherever is competetive. 

I use the online catalogues for the OEM providers and manufacturers i trust (Mahle, Hella, ATE, Meyle, Febi, Bremi, etc..) and then search for the part number in the usual places. a bit of cross referencing can save you £££'s in the long run.

Thank you, a load of useful names there, really appreciate it

Rockauto is a good source for parts too. It's US based so sometimes you have to cross reference the part catalog because not all versions were made for the US market, but they're often extremely competitive on price, even with shipping and import duties added. I particularly like that they always list the manufacturer of the part so you know exactly what you're getting, and they always ship from their own stock so it's generally here within a few days. Their website takes a bit of getting used to with the various shipping warehouses they use, but often worthwhile. Had them ship a complete exhaust with FedEx and it was still cheaper than what I would have paid locally.

On 24/03/2021 at 09:18, Carlton said:

Rockauto is a good source for parts too. It's US based so sometimes you have to cross reference the part catalog because not all versions were made for the US market, but they're often extremely competitive on price, even with shipping and import duties added. I particularly like that they always list the manufacturer of the part so you know exactly what you're getting, and they always ship from their own stock so it's generally here within a few days. Their website takes a bit of getting used to with the various shipping warehouses they use, but often worthwhile. Had them ship a complete exhaust with FedEx and it was still cheaper than what I would have paid locally.

Thank you for this, another useful addition. Much appreciated

I get loads of stuff from AUTODOC, good brands Meyle and FEbi etc and good prices. BUT you may wait up to a month for them to arrive sometimes 2 weeks, so its for planned things. I also get oil and filters from them.

If not I go to BMW for specific small parts and things

On 30/03/2021 at 12:34, waitee said:

I get loads of stuff from AUTODOC, good brands Meyle and FEbi etc and good prices. BUT you may wait up to a month for them to arrive sometimes 2 weeks, so its for planned things. I also get oil and filters from them.

If not I go to BMW for specific small parts and things

Thank you for this. Much appreciated. 

I can't help but think this thread should be pinned or bookmarked

Autodoc i have very positive experience. Great prices, great selection.  Seems to be only them who can source the sachs bmw clutch fan for 60 pounds. Everyone else wants over 100. Great price on oils unbeatable 8l of shell hx7 5w40 semi synthetic for 32 pounds. Sell genuine wahler thermostat and hepu waterpump both oem quality. Cheap bulbs. Great price on ignition coils if you need them. Air and cabin filters unbeatable prices. Great on transmission oil prices best I can find.

Bmw dealer for fuel filters  transmission filter kit or Schmiedmann.com but they don't have the transmission filter kit

C3bmw for aux fan unit. Behr oem.

Ebay for spark plugs

Schmiedmann.com for everything else great price on used bmw rims if you need better options on tyres that is better savings too.

Ebay breakers for any steering wheel parts electric windows or inner body parts.

Qamazon for oil filters mahle.

This is for bmw e39.

Great thread. Thanks a lot. Also the fake german brands such as meyle and swag are okay. Avoid vemo and trucktek. Valeo was oem choice for cooling and ignition  once sso
 good too.

Edited by rabotnika

On 02/04/2021 at 14:01, rabotnika said:

Autodoc i have very positive experience. Great prices, great selection.  Seems to be only them who can source the sachs bmw clutch fan for 60 pounds. Everyone else wants over 100. Great price on oils unbeatable 8l of shell hx7 5w40 semi synthetic for 32 pounds. Sell genuine wahler thermostat and hepu waterpump both oem quality. Cheap bulbs. Great price on ignition coils if you need them. Air and cabin filters unbeatable prices. Great on transmission oil prices best I can find.

Bmw dealer for fuel filters  transmission filter kit or Schmiedmann.com but they don't have the transmission filter kit

C3bmw for aux fan unit. Behr oem.

Ebay for spark plugs

Schmiedmann.com for everything else great price on used bmw rims if you need better options on tyres that is better savings too.

Ebay breakers for any steering wheel parts electric windows or inner body parts.

Qamazon for oil filters mahle.

This is for bmw e39.

Great thread. Thanks a lot. Also the fake german brands such as meyle and swag are okay. Avoid vemo and trucktek. Valeo was oem choice for cooling and ignition  once sso
 good too.

More really useful stuff, thank you, really appreciate the info as I'm sure everyone else on here does. Brilliant.

I'm one of the few that don't like Autodoc; their delivery times are terrible and the tracking is just as bad and only makes any sense when it's in this country and about to be delivered. Up until then, you're nigh on blind!

Yes; they do have good products and prices; but when compared to the likes of C3BMW and/or BMWmotormec for Meyle stuff etc; there's really not a lot in it

But, I did get my ATE brakes via Autodoc as their prices were unbeatable; however, this was before Brexit finalised and shipping into the UK became more awkward!

Meyle is a fake brand same as swag or trucktek vemo they all are cheap substitute for bmw some of them work most of them give problems much sooner than expected. Known as Turkish parts or fake germans.