syncrofred

Air-bag Warning Light

All the time I have owned my car, the steering wheel has been a couple of splines off centre. After six or seven years on my To Do list, I’ve got used to it.  My son borrowed it a couple of weeks  and came back banging on about this mega annoying situation.  My answer was, “Next time you borrow it, put it right”.   Last week he borrowed it again and tackled this massive problem.  The result is an almost straight wheel and the dash warning light on.  This is a certain m.o.t. fail I’m sure.  So, how do I reset it when I don’t have the magic inpa stuff?

1 minute ago, syncrofred said:

All the time I have owned my car, the steering wheel has been a couple of splines off centre. After six or seven years on my To Do list, I’ve got used to it.  My son borrowed it a couple of weeks  and came back banging on about this mega annoying situation.  My answer was, “Next time you borrow it, put it right”.   Last week he borrowed it again and tackled this massive problem.  The result is an almost straight wheel and the dash warning light on.  This is a certain m.o.t. fail I’m sure.  So, how do I reset it when I don’t have the magic inpa stuff?

IIRC you need NCS or INPA to sort this; why did it come on in the first place though? Did he undo the wheel with the ignition on etc?

No idea how he did it, I wasn’t there.  I can’t imagine he would have had the ignition on, unless it was accidental, to unlock the column.

Or he broke the airbag connectors while removing them. Quite typical to snap the thin plastic splices on the locking parts which should separate short circuit on the pins when inserted. 

I’ll quiz him about it tomorrow when he comes round to do some more work on his E21.