d_a_n1979

E39 touring - sound deadening

As well as getting the areas of the car undersealed (arches, sills, subframe areas etc); one other thing I've been thinking of doing to my touring is to add some sound deadening sheets to the rear load space/cavities (spare whee well etc) to dampen down some of the every day road noise.

We all know the touring is louder on the road due to the rear being open, but also that the shocks are firmer on the touring because of the SLS.

Has anyone done this and to what lengths did you go (ie. where did you apply the sound deadening and what difference has it made)?

Not sure if I want or need to go as far as doing the doors etc; for me, the most noise comes from the rear load space etc

Cheers :) 

I’ve only used it on the doors of an EP3 Civic but found it did make a difference. I’d start with the easy bits like the spare wheel well and see what happens.

Wheel well might be a good start.  I'm wondering if youre getting a bit more noise as you've maybe got no spare wheel in there.  I have  full size spare tyre in mine and what with that and the tray above and then the carpeted wooden floor it doesnt seem to bad.  Maybe i just got used to it.

11 minutes ago, Dbcrd said:

Wheel well might be a good start.  I'm wondering if youre getting a bit more noise as you've maybe got no spare wheel in there.  I have  full size spare tyre in mine and what with that and the tray above and then the carpeted wooden floor it doesnt seem to bad.  Maybe i just got used to it.

It is full of shopping bags :lol: 

Yeah; I'll line the wheel well and the areas around it too. I am going to get some of that fabric tape that's quite thick and see if that'll dampen down the boot floor as that does feel a bit loose at times 

Last year when I ripped out all of the old nav gear from the boot cubby hole to install my sub in there, I bought sound deadening material planning to line the inside of the rear wing behind sub with it. When I actually did the job though, found it already covered in the stuff. Not sure if BMW's doing or a previous owner, either way it wouldn't come off without a fight and for all I knew redoing it with the stuff I bought might be a waste of time for no further improvement, so left it. If / when I can be bothered or the needed arises to have a door lining off for whatever reason, intend to whack some of this surplus deadening in the doors, hadn't thought about the actual boot floor until now.

Wheel well might be a helluva job though, as although this stuff is a bit flexible, the ridged and grooved bottom of it and the compressor and hoses in there as well make me think that doing a proper job with the stuff I have would take more time and effort than I've got available right now. 

Following with interest, maybe this will convince me to invest the time after all!

I want to do this, I have a saloon and the boot lid is tinny and I just feel the car could be quieter inside. When you see restorations of all sorts of cars they literally line the entire car with it before putting in the carpets, door cards etc.

My first port of call is to do the rear bench area as I have removed the old loose smelly insulation rubbish that absolutely smelled to high heaven. I need to remove the rear parcel shelf to get to the rest but then I will cover the entire area in silent coat.

You can spend some serious money on this depending on the product you choose. Regular sheets of self-adhesive bitumen stuff is quite cheap, whereas Dyna Mat isn’t.  I assume it’s more effective, but by how much I have no idea.

Until reading this thread I’ve never considered doing the back of my Touring, but now you’ve got me thinking.

Well I've been thinking I'll use this stuff:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KZ5X7KO/?coliid=I8DJ4CZSA9BHO&colid=3DTRR9QJAYDDQ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

But the lad who has the Jap import 525i touring has recommended Dodo Mat:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WWMBHM2/?coliid=I1A7CP894NDUOJ&colid=3DTRR9QJAYDDQ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Said it works really well

As said; I'm not going to go overboard with it; but want to try and dampen down the road nose a little bit as there's little in there to do that currently (bar shopping bags) :lol: 

Hi,

This is on my todo list for my Touring as well. I purposely didn't use any sound deadening mats in my audio build, partly due to keeping the install 'simple' and to show how well built the E39 is in terms of structural rigidity. The downside to this is that at motorway speeds and the intrusion of road/wind/tyre noise, it can be more intrusive to the level it'll affect the sub bass output. One way to resolve is to use a more powerful RMS amplifier, but then that still leaves the same amount of noise/sound intrusion. A more efficient solution is to suppress that noise intrusion. 

'Ideally' the complete boot area, the side of the body panels and the wheel well along with the floor pan, doors and roof would be covered. The net result of all that would be a 'VERY' hushed interior - A few E39's and other BMW's where audio installs have been done, this complete level of sound proofing has been done and it's lovely to drive and have much reduced noise levels, even before the audio is switched on! However, goingf to this extent is a much more intense job and of course increases expense. May well be better to do the boot area and see how that feels and it it's enough, then a completed job! 

Many people online will mention using regular sheets of bitumen that's used in the construction industry but I'd not recommend it - it's not automotive grade so the material, the adhesive aren't focused to an automotive interior in aspects like temperature and humidity tolerances/performance. Those who went ahead anyway, would find on hotter days, the adhesive would 'bleed' and being very sticky would get everywhere and cause problems, sheets woild then peel off a little as corners would dry out etc. Colder days would see the material be more rigid and to the point the sheet would unstick from the panel. Much better and recommended to use specifically formulated car audio sound deadening sheets/material.

In addition to the the above products, there's plenty more choices from the ebay seller 'Sound Deadening Shop' and their bricks and mortar shop in Oxfordshire (I'm fairly sure they'll retail from there, but im not 100% on this)

Cheers, Dennis!

22 minutes ago, AdamB said:

Let us know your findings, the touring is certainly less refined than the saloon.

ive found bass/volume to be lacking in comparison to my saloon.

All because the touring isn't sealed off like the saloons are

It came as a surprise at first; more so as I was travelling back from Glasgow in a torrential storm :lol: 

I am used to it now; but I do think some deadening will calm most of the noise off...

Will report back when I've pulled my finger out on this job

Race ya in the pulling your finger out stakes, although I've got sidetracked by a house related project so far jobs are taking a back seat for now. But on the other hand, I do already have a load of Noico sound deafening sheets in my garage left over from that other job I didn't do. Decisions decisions...

23 minutes ago, Pzero said:

Race ya in the pulling your finger out stakes, although I've got sidetracked by a house related project so far jobs are taking a back seat for now. But on the other hand, I do already have a load of Noico sound deafening sheets in my garage left over from that other job I didn't do. Decisions decisions...

Haha ;)

Well getting the underseal work done is my priority for now; the sound deadening will get done after that...