Coaster

peeling leather

There is a patch of the headrest where the back of my head touches and the surface is peeling off the leather.  The car is in warranty so I asked Sytner to look at it.  They say it is not covered as it has been scratched.  The only thing that has touched it has been the back of my head so that is clearly not the case.  What are the options for escalating this with BMW?

27 minutes ago, Coaster said:

There is a patch of the headrest where the back of my head touches and the surface is peeling off the leather.  The car is in warranty so I asked Sytner to look at it.  They say it is not covered as it has been scratched.  The only thing that has touched it has been the back of my head so that is clearly not the case.  What are the options for escalating this with BMW?

Good luck escalating to BMW :-(. My experience is you call BMW customer service and the agent, who will have no technical ability nor acumen, will tell you they rely on the dealer network "experts" for the decisions and there is nowhere to go from there. I gave up with an issue I had with one of my wheels as BMW is very tetchy about wheels and the "experts" at the dealership know only one answer and that is no. Sorry! and rant over...

13 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Good luck escalating to BMW :-(. My experience is you call BMW customer service and the agent, who will have no technical ability nor acumen, will tell you they rely on the dealer network "experts" for the decisions and there is nowhere to go from there. I gave up with an issue I had with one of my wheels as BMW is very tetchy about wheels and the "experts" at the dealership know only one answer and that is no. Sorry! and rant over...

My story is similar. BMW UK will tell you the first and best way to sort out an issue is to discuss it with the dealer who sold the car to you before they step in.

For my issue at that time, it's not in the grey area where the cause of it is arguable. It was very clear that the dealer was responsible for it but the dealer kept ignoring my request. In this case, BMW UK made a phone call to the dealer and the issue was sorted quite soon. However, for the issue OP described, which I think there are plenty of excuses the dealer or BMW UK can use, it will be hard.

Same here, beyond useless. They deliberately outsource these sorts of issues to the dealer network to sort out. 

Only time i ever got anywhere in bending a dealer to do what I wanted, was when I was able to use BMW TIS documentation to coerce the insured warranty into pressuring the dealer, and I used safety/risk to do it (suspension components).

BMW dealers, IME, suck.

Try a different dealer. Service varies not only by dealer brand but also location

You do have to wonder why dealers would so readily reject a warranty claim though. After all the costs fall on BMW not the dealer (though admittedly they get better labour rates). Perhaps a bit of pressure on dealers from BMW to minimise warranty costs? I’m sure that BMW will keep careful records as to the level of warranty costs individual dealers generate.

Also depends on the warranty and if it's the manufacture backed first 3 year or the subsequent insurance backed AUC or extended warranty I think. BMW may track manufacture claims to trend any common issues but insurance backed may just go to underwriters and not actually cross the desk of BMW themselves?

Exactly the same happened to my driver's headrest for no reason (no hair products!) and almost overnight the surface leather disintegrated. The car was about 18 months old and it was replaced by the dealer without quibble.

My headrest on my old G30 was replaced under warranty. A white patch developed on the leather. Dealer replaced without issue tbh

I can't see any way around this for the dealer.  It seems unavoidable that it has been caused by the back of my head or at the very least highly improbable to have been caused by anything else.  Play devil's advocate for me...

headrest.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Coaster said:

Play devil's advocate 

Must be your hair grips??

1 hour ago, Mr H said:

Must be your hair grips??

good point.. If a lady driver had been in the driver's seat there could be some hair management hardware involved. 

2 hours ago, Coaster said:

I can't see any way around this for the dealer........

Play devil's advocate for me...

Driven the car wearing a hoodie or rough head covering? 

Anorak with high collar with zipped hood?
Leaned round the seat to see into the back and caught it with a zip on sleeve or chest?

etc. :ph34r::ph34r:

20 hours ago, Boba said:

Driven the car wearing a hoodie or rough head covering? 

Anorak with high collar with zipped hood?
Leaned round the seat to see into the back and caught it with a zip on sleeve or chest?

etc. :ph34r::ph34r:

Another good point; if the car had been stolen or driven by a teenager there may have been a hoodie or baseball cap in the driver's seat.  I wonder if that would be considered abusive use for a headrest?  I suppose the dealer can only take my word that neither have been there.

On 18/03/2021 at 10:51, Coaster said:

I can't see any way around this for the dealer.  It seems unavoidable that it has been caused by the back of my head or at the very least highly improbable to have been caused by anything else.  Play devil's advocate for me...

headrest.jpeg

Looks to me like it’s just the paint that is coming away, can still see the texture of the leather underneath, so it’s a bad coating I would say. Surely they should be fixing that. Doesn't need  replaced though, just re-coloured and sealed. 

Edited by ally

It might be worth getting in touch with LTT Leather Care to see what they think may have caused the issue https://www.lttleathercare.com/contact-us/

I understand they can be very helpful

Judy at LTT Leathercare is very helpful indeed and is very popular on detailing forums. 
I’ve had great help and service from Gliptone, I used their dye to respray the seats in my last car, and also used their kits for scuff repairs and touch ups prior to that. 
Perfect colour match every time. 

On 12/04/2021 at 03:20, ally said:

Judy at LTT Leathercare is very helpful indeed and is very popular on detailing forums. 
I’ve had great help and service from Gliptone, I used their dye to respray the seats in my last car, and also used their kits for scuff repairs and touch ups prior to that. 
Perfect colour match every time. 

Seconded for Judy @ LTT

52 minutes ago, Coaster said:

Finally sorted under warranty on the second attempt and claimed to be goodwill (in order to save face and avoid the fobbing off discussion).

Excellent! 
I think most BMW dealers use the ‘goodwill’ face saver when they’ve quibbled about a minor item but I bet they run it through the BMW warranty system when they can all the same. :ph34r: