miniblob

Rear bushes?????

Hi there,

Couple of questions I have here....

The mechanic that does most of the work on my car for me, has said that the bushes on the bottom of the rear shock absorbers are completely knackered!

He hasn't checked if they are available from any of their suppliers, as I usually supply parts for him, but he seemed to think it was probably an aftermarket thing, if at all and wouldn't be available from BMW.  I certainly can't see a bush for this on realoem - anyone have any suggestions, or does this mean I will need to replace the rear shocks, that seem otherwise ok???

Also, has anyone used Powerflex purple/road bushes??? How do they compare to oem/BMW bushes???

As in, do you notice increased stiffness, vibration, etc?

(I'm talking rear subframe bushes, specifically, as mine need doing)

A couple of people I've spoken to are swaying me towards standard bushes, with this being a quiet estate car - even though they've never actually used the powerflex bushes on a car like this before!

Would powerflex bushes be a selling point, or put people off??? (If/when I ever come to sell this car)

Cheers,

Rob.

I used strong flex poly bushes on the rear subframe on my 525d msport was really happy with them and didn't notice any adverse effects

Sorry guys, busy few days!!! 

It's an '05 545i SE, so not sport suspension!!! 

I don't want the bushes to ruin the car! 

Tempted to stay oe, but juat wondering if longer lasting powerflex bushes were a better idea???

I've only ever used rock hard ones on more track focused cars!!! 

It depends on the bush, Lemforder do them all (OE bushes) and Meyle do as well. If it's the swing arm bushes on the inner where it bolts to the subframe with the camber bolt I'd get Meyle as they come pre compressed in sleeves to aid fitting.

Don't fit powerflex type as they remove the point of having a rubber bush.

Edited by GoNz0

10 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

Don't fit powerflex type as they remove the point of having a rubber bush.

Exactly what I wondered/wanted to know, thanks! 

Those inners do need doing, as well as the subframe bushes! 

Still unsure about this bush at the bottom of the shock?!?! 

Is it just part of the shock, or can it be pressed out and replaced? 

The one connected to the shocks not replaceable, are you sure he meant that one?

The rear of my 61 is untouched since I got it and I’m getting the feeling I need something back there because I’m getting noises so I’m glad this thread came up.

Glad I found this post as I was just about to post one Similar. I am wanting to do a full axle refurb and wanting to know if I should stay OEM or go aftermarket power flex etc. Think this is going to be a long list :blink:

I’m toying with the idea of just buying the rear trailing arms and putting new bushes in, do a swap of the arms with new nuts bolts and sell the arms that come off. Should cut the time down and the stress. 

but @GoNz0 how do you feel about power flex bushes for the subframe mounts?

I didn't buy a 5 series in my 40's to treat it like a track car m8. I love comfy cruising

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'll report back later in the spring, I've bought the whole lot

Every bush you can replace has been purchased from powerflex & strongflex

I wanted it to be taughter on the bends, I went for the lowest shore bushes

Just a bit firmer than oe: 

I do hope I don't regret it :wink: , not cheep or quick.

I'm sticking with 18" none runflats & Koni special actives so it's not too harsh hopefully :lol:

9 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

I didn't buy a 5 series in my 40's to treat it like a track car m8. I love comfy cruising emoji16.png

Would it make that much difference? I’m old and fat so don’t want to be jiggled about with hard bushings. 

No idea, I'm not prepared to find out over something that will see the car out.

I’m hoping to do the same this year and while I’m at it rear do the brake lines to save me time in future. Way I see it if u want a race car go power flex but if u want the nice comfort from the 5 series then stay with OEM bushes. Yea there quicker at fitting then standard ones but don’t take much longer with right tools etc