hunterbm

E39 Touring Rear Wiper Arm Cover

Car has suffered before with the usual rear wiper seizing - But a bit of oil sorted it out.

When it started to happen again I decided a full strip and grease of the shaft would sort it once and for all

Started to undo the torx screw to remove the cover to get access to the wiper arm shaft but the screw is just spinning -

So I'm stuck at the first hurdle as I need to remove the screw but it's not unscrewing. Cant grab the head as its flush with the cover.

Thought I would ask on here before I go barging in as I don't want to break anything, it being the switch for the rear glass.

So how can I remove the screw?

Just a thought, someone may have a better idea. Put a couple of drops of thread locker onto the screw and hopefully it will find it’s way down and lock the screw. You will then be able to drill the head off it and disassemble the arm. If this works you should them be able to carefully drill out the rest of the screw, tap/clean the thread for a new screw.

If the consensus is that I’m talking bollocks, I apologise.

Not sure that will work sncro as there is no gap for it to run down.

Does anybody have a picture of the inside of the cover so I can see how the screw sits in it and whats around it?

The screw goes into the top cover. I had the same issue when replacing the switch and ended up replacing the cover, it's not expensive. part number is 61 31 8 372 074, get a new screw too 07 14 6 978 500

I also found the aluminium housing that the wiper shaft goes through was corroded and the threads the large flat nut goes onto were gone, leaving me with no way to get things back together in a waterproof way. Ended up driving around with a bit of duct tape over the hole in the glass for a week.

image.png.f90f2d203548655367f9cf014eada138.png