Sign in to follow this  
syncrofred

Driving License Expired

Couple of days ago my wife got a letter from the gov.uk saying she needs to renew her driving license.  This prompted me to have a look at mine.  Whoops!   Ran out in December 20.  So I went on the website to renew it.  Part way though I was asked if I really wanted to do this because my current license doesn’t run out until 2022.  My license clearly says the expiry date is 2020.  I have no recollection of receiving a reminder letter, but if the system thinks it’s still good that’s no surprise.  Anyway I completed the application and sent an explanatory letter along with old license back to the DVLA.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?  Makes me wonder what would have happened if I’d been stopped by the fuzz.

I don't recall getting a reminder in 2013 when mine expired but I was aware of the date and sorted it in time.  That is based on the 10 year life of the photo license.

DVLA may have extended licenses due to COIVID 19 similar to the MOT extensions that were granted.

What I do know is the DVLA will write you when you turn 70 for license renewal.  I have had an issue with the DVLA writing to former residents of my house (who moved out at latest in 1991) to tell them that they need to re-apply for their driving licenses when they turned 70 years old.  So goodness knows what that couple have been doing for the last 30 years.......

If the police did stop you (which in current time is more likely) it will be down to you to make sure you have the appropriate valid license for whatever vehicle you are driving or using to tow.

Have you moved house at all in the last 10 years, that may trigger a renewal/extension of time assuming you updated the DVLA with your new address?

2 hours ago, Stressed said:

Be aware that your photo card if valid for 10 years which is a different renewal date to the expiry date for you licence

^^^ This... your licence won't have expired only the photo id card...you will still have a valid licence until 70...

One good reason for hanging on to my paper one :)

^ Which is fine until you move and then you're forced into the photo card - pretty sure it was a rouse for a little extra revenue and ID card by stealth.

Well, thanks for the replies, but I haven’t moved house for twenty years and nowhere in the renewal process was the expiry date of the photo mentioned. I passed the 70 age threshold three years ago.  The renewal process did request my passport number, which would link them to another, presumably valid, photo of myself.  As my driving is Covid limited to next to sod-all, I’ll wait and see what they send me.

New license arrived. Expiry date 2024. No explanation of confusion, but I’m not surprised.  Just pleased with the rapid response.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this