wsn03

E39 530i Sport - Champagne Run Out - resurrection

The bores on this engine are so unblemished its incredible - you can still see the factory machine marks.

So nothing to change apart from gaskets and seals. Time for the head to go back on

20210316_134207.jpg

20210316_134153.jpg

20210316_134233.jpg

20210316_134631.thumb.jpg.4e452ed0683388886b02e4bd91e8c19e.jpg

Edited by wsn03

1 hour ago, Pimpollo said:

Thought so, don't know if you subscribe to M539 restorations on YouTube, for me it's the best bmw channel on there, he did a Vanos rebuild on a recent upload, it was excellent. 

I've not heard of it, but will definitely take a look. I'm just the monkey on this job, and I quite like it that way. I've mastered aspects of the XKR quite well, but the BMW looks too complicated! Especially Vanos stuff!

The mechanic it turns out needs lots of help with the admin side of his business, so I'm going to be busy setting all that up for him when I'm not cleaning parts. He is setting up shop in my home town so I've got on-hand tutorial for just about anything. I'm going to start working in his garage occasional Saturdays whenever he has something interesting I want to learn (family life permitting).

I think you're being very modest here, your work is excellent and the results will show that. For me m539 is the best as the guy is a complete perfectionist who's also very amusing as well. He is working on the following at the moment - e38 7 series, e31 8 series and e60 5 series - I'm trying to remember which one was the one he did the vanos on, if I remember I'll let you know. His videos are quite long but you'll soon be hooked I assure you. Good luck with the car is going great at the moment. 

2 hours ago, Pimpollo said:

I think you're being very modest here, your work is excellent and the results will show that. 

While I do my own work on motorbikes and my XKR, I really I can't take the credit for this job - I am just the parts cleaner. The mechanic is taking the lead here, and he is excellent. He's a young lad I've known quite a long time, and I've been patiently waiting for him to start working for himself so he can resurrect my BMW. As people see this car come together they may end up choosing to use his services themselves, and I'll gladly pass on his details

2 hours ago, Pimpollo said:

I think you're being very modest here, your work is excellent and the results will show that. For me m539 is the best as the guy is a complete perfectionist who's also very amusing as well. He is working on the following at the moment - e38 7 series, e31 8 series and e60 5 series - I'm trying to remember which one was the one he did the vanos on, if I remember I'll let you know. His videos are quite long but you'll soon be hooked I assure you. Good luck with the car is going great at the moment. 

Pretty sure it was his E46 325i that he did the VANOS service on. He’s great to watch and he really knows his stuff so he’s usually my go-to on YouTube. Him and 50sKid who is also a good watch for detailed info on M54 and other engines.

Just now, Toughguyhuh said:

Pretty sure it was his E46 325i that he did the VANOS service on. He’s great to watch and he really knows his stuff so he’s usually my go-to on YouTube. Him and 50sKid who is also a good watch for detailed info on M54 and other engines.

That's right it was the estate he did it on about a month ago you're quite correct. There's a young Belgian guy called Memphis who's doing an e28 who's very good as well but M539 will hit 1m subscribers within a year I would say he's top notch. 

1 hour ago, Clavurion said:

I know it's bit late now but did you ever consider putting Time-Sert inserts on block threads?

I'll check with the man and get back to you. I know the bolts are stretch bolts, and those are being collected tomorrow. Is there something we need to consider regarding the inserts you mention? Any info gratefully received- the head is only in situ not yet bolted up

15 hours ago, wsn03 said:

I'll check with the man and get back to you. I know the bolts are stretch bolts, and those are being collected tomorrow. Is there something we need to consider regarding the inserts you mention? Any info gratefully received- the head is only in situ not yet bolted up

You will find plenty of stuff with Timesert + M52/M54. Many people do this even as a preventative measure (if engine is stripped apart) because block threads is a known weak link on these engines.

3 hours ago, Clavurion said:

You will find plenty of stuff with Timesert + M52/M54. Many people do this even as a preventative measure (if engine is stripped apart) because block threads is a known weak link on these engines.

Thanks for this, I'll let my guy know. Luckily he had to cancel today so no further work until tomorrow.

Mostly when people have to remove the head, they will loosen the head bolts then try and re-torque them down, all of the people I've ever seen do this on Youtube, it has stripped the threads in the block. Requiring timeserts to 100% cure this issue. In the simplest terms which involves basically drilling out the old threads and inserting new threaded bungs that should never strip.

^ i think i'd be tempted to fit the timeserts if i had the engine apart as it would be gutting to strip the block on assembly or have a HG fail there after.

Easier now than back together in the car!

52 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

^ i think i'd be tempted to fit the timeserts if i had the engine apart as it would be gutting to strip the block on assembly or have a HG fail there after.

Easier now than back together in the car!

I Agree, if my head ever needs to come off, I'll be buying the timesert kit in advance and doing it regardless.

There's always a chance the threads could appear fine, the head torqued down then after a few heat cycles could let go and cause a major headache.

On 17/03/2021 at 11:21, Clavurion said:

My mechanic has cleaned and inspected the threads thoroughly, never does the timesert on them, says he's never had an issue so far, so we will see what happens :)

44 minutes ago, wsn03 said:

My mechanic has cleaned and inspected the threads thoroughly, never does the timesert on them, says he's never had an issue so far, so we will see what happens :)

In which case, good luck, hope all goes well.  Edit: This was sincere btw, I do hope it goes well and will be interesting to know all is OK.

Edited by starbuck88

1 hour ago, wsn03 said:

Just out of interest what's his count on M54 or M52TU engines.

23 hours ago, Clavurion said:

Just out of interest what's his count on M54 or M52TU engines.

Just asked him. He's done a few, probably less than 12, hasn't kept a check.

On 18/03/2021 at 13:56, starbuck88 said:

In which case, good luck, hope all goes well.  Edit: This was sincere btw, I do hope it goes well and will be interesting to know all is OK.

Thank you. I'm intrigued myself but I'll run with his judgement - if if goes pop he'll sort it anyway, but he's not expecting it to go pop.

This year I'll be doing a fair few miles on a couple of decent length trips, so we'll soon know :)

To be fair a head off would be a small job in the scheme of things for what will / has already been done on this car. Time will tell

21 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

If it hasn't been overheated it'll probably be OK. 

This one has had a very easy life, so good to know, thanks

When i opened up my M30 at similar miles the cross hatching was still in evidence with no obvious wear. BMW know how to build an engine B)

On 23/03/2021 at 11:30, Pimpollo said:

Those bores are 'as new', they're just amazing for a car with 130k miles (I think you said that was the mileage?). 

Yes 130,000 miles. I think it had 2 gentle owners including myself, but still. BMW make amazing engines