bart1webb

Capacitor Jump Starters

Hi all,

I am considering purchasing a capacitor jump starter (rather than the more traditional larger battery pack types) and am after peoples recommendations.

I would like to be able to store in the boot for emergency situations, and would require something with enough starting power to use on a 4.9 litre V8.

Has anybody got any suggestions for a suitable product please?

The issue with these is they may lose charge over a short period, and you'll have to keep an eye on the battery rate (especially during the colder weather). 

What CCA is the battery on the car now? that'll help guide you towards the sort of power you need in a jumpstart unit. 

Not sure quite what a capacitor jump starter is but take a look at this thread: 

My little battery pack holds charge for months and has been brilliant when needed.

Edited by BarryM

Are you definitely referring to super capacitor jump starters and not lithium ion battery starters?

The super capacitor ones, from what I’ve read, use the remaining energy in your battery to charge up the capacitor, which can then dump that charge at high current to turn over the engine. This means that they only work on batteries that still have some charge, but presumably don’t need to be kept charged up. 

The lithium ion starters work exactly like any other battery-based starter, except they’re much smaller and lighter than the old school lead acid packs.

Thank you for the replies.

It would appear I am indeed looking for a lithium ion jump starter, rather than the capacitor type. 

The CCA is circa 900 I believe.

I will have a read through the attached thread with interest.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/battery-maintenance/jump-starters/gb40-1000a-noco-jump-starter-721898.html

This is pretty good. Brother has one and jumped my E34 no issues. I do really need to get one myself seeing as what I used to use as a jump starter, my old M140i, I got rid of a few weeks ago.

I also have their trickle charger and very happy with that.

Edited by KitsonRis

Just to add, I picked up one similar to the one Dan recommended. 

I've used it twice without charging - 1st time on my shed - C200 Mercedes and then the second time on a little SLK200. Started both no problem. 

I've not needed it yet on the M5 yet though.

Comes with a torch facility, red and blue flashing lights ! and will charge phones, tablets etc.

The case it comes in is small enough to slip under a front seat but too big for the glove box, but will happily tuck away in the boot.... although as I found out... no good on the C200 Merc as that doesn't have an external boot release option.... LOL !!!