thomp1983

Zf5hp24 fluid

Hi all, I have a zf5hp24 transmission in a 2002 x5 4.4i, i believe the same gearbox is used in the 540. I need to replace the transmission fluid, I've had the engine out the car so torque convertor and cooler are both empty meaning I need about 10 litres of fluid. 

The zf spec fluid is lifeguard 5 at around £22 a litre, Mobil LT71141 is also suggested at £11 a litre and finally there seems to be a febi oil that says its oem spec at £60 for 5l what are people using that they've had success with, £220 on the zf fluid is alot to stomach with the filters on top

Thanks

Chris

There is a guy on the "BMW e39 club uk buy/sell" page on facebook selling a load of bottles of lifeguard 5 fluid quite cheap. Maybe worth a look.

No association with seller, I just happened to notice it this morning.

Hi Chris,

Found your thread too late.

Your only option is zf lifeguard fluid 6 or 5 both will work for your car. Autodoc sells the cheapest! At 9 pounds per liter roughly.

Or pay for green bmw lifetime fluid from your dealer. I haven't changed mine for 25 years it was green bmw lifetime oil and the transmission is 5hp18 and it was still as good as new. Only use zf or bmw oil for your transmission.

Hi Chris, my M62 has the ZF 5HP24 gearbox and when I researched this back in 2012 I went with Esso LT71141 oil as the ZF service centre said it was effectively the same as they provided in their service kits....not sure Esso still sell oil but it was also branded Esso/Mobil back then too. Touch wood my gearbox has been good for the last 9 years and I'm thinking a flush might be due again soon and I'll use the Mobil stuff this time.

Edited by BarryM

Autodoc sells zf lifeguard 5 for under £9 per liter which is good price. You won't find better price in any of the online shops in the uk.

Do not use anything other than bmw or zf oil for your transmission.  Never put cheap dexron fluid either regardless its on the 11a or 11b list. 7se only zf oil.

31 minutes ago, rabotnika said:

Do not use anything other than bmw or zf oil for your transmission.

Do you think BMW manufacture oil? They used to re-brand the Esso product but might have changed since starting to recommend Shell in 2016

On older vehicles e39s bmw used green color transmission oil for their lifetime transmission usually green label.  On newer e39s bmw used zf oil amber color as their oem oil.

I don't know who made the green oil for early bmws could be esso

Mine is 97. And transmission oil was green color. The that bmw wants to sell me now I don't know what color is I might buy one bottle for 25 £ just to see they advertise it as atf 2. Currently atf2 is also zf lifeguard 6 which is not right for my transmission.  Mine is 5 speed auto.

I am not sure who made pre 2001 transmission oil for bmw who did they paid for the service but post 2001 is all zf oil.

I don't because I don't work in the oil industry but everything online suggests they make it and it's says its approved by zf on the bottle

Ok just thought you might know. Post 2002 zf are the suppliers of transmission oil for bmw e39 and x5 not sure for others.

But as far as this i was curious to know where you have the information from thanks..