NL E12 M535i

UK registered E12 M535i surfaces in Holland - strange story!

Hello,

Recently a UK registered E12 M535i surfaced in Holland.

Nothing special one would think, but in this case something strange surrounds this car...

I discovered this car for sale two years ago by its owner through E-bay in May 2005.

It was in pretty good order with lots of history with it. The mileage was high, 217k.

That in itself does not have to a problem though.

It was said this car was once Nigel Mansell's car, but no proof seemed to be with the car.

I've heard this story about at least two other cars aswell, so this story is not of a high value to me without proof.

One would think such very important and valuable proof should be almost "nailed "to such a car, right?

Anyway, a few weeks later the car was sold to Woking Classic Cars.

m520nsf.jpg

The car for sale at Woking Classic Cars

m520back.jpg

Sadly this company went bust a few months later, and the M535i probably went together with the rest of the stock

in one lot to a buyer.

The fate of the car thereafter is unknown.

A few days ago, I got a tip from someone on a Dutch forum.

He stated that in the street where he lives a UK registered car was parked on the public road for over 6 months (!) now.

The car probably came to Holland around May 2007.

It has been left totally unattended since.

Even a note packed in plastic under the wiper did not attrackt any reaction from the owner.

Pics of the car parked in Holland (Amstelveen, near Amsterdam) December 2007:

DSC06073a.jpg

DSC06071a.jpg

DSC06090a.jpg

DSC06091a.jpg

No comment.....

However, a while back, it was noticed that someone got out of a taxi next to the car, the taxidriver was told to wait untill he got the M535i going. That worked o.k. and the taxidriver could leave. The car was driven off and was gone for two weeks.

Now she's again sitting in the same spot, and again untouched for a long time.

It is unknown if the car was bought by someone in Holland and brought over from the UK, or that the car is still UK owned with the owner staying in Holland for a while.

The tax-disc shows that UK roadtax expired on December 2005, and a check with the DVLA still shows tax due 1-1-2006!

That means the tax and the UK registration is in fact cancelled / not roadlegal anymore?

Since the car is also not re-registered on a Dutch registration means that the car is basically parked illegal.

But also, where was the car during 2006, and the first half of 2007? Even in that period the car was basically not taxed!

Naturally it is very sad to see the car like this and without a possibility to get in touch with the current owner to see if we could buy her to save her from an uncertain and sombre future!

If the car is gaining dirt and deteriorates fruther out in the open, she can attract vandalism or be towed away by Police and then perhaps destroyed!! Oh dear!

We in Holland believe this car is not showing any major rust in the usueal area's and basically looks very healthy indeed.

She's worth saving!

So is there anyone out here who knows more about this car???? Her former owner(s), or any other relevant info on her????

Would love to hear from you in that case.

Thanks and best wishes,

Ronald.

'80 E12 M535i

'99 E39 530dA SE Touring

Hello,

Just checked the DVLA site again on this car & registration.

It shows an Export marker, and the vehicle has an Unlicensed status.

This means the car is, at the moment not legally parked on a public road, as she has not been re-registered on a valid Dutch registration with a valid Dutch M.O.T.

Only way for the owner to stay out of trouble is park the car on private property.

But no sign of that to happen in the near future....

If neighbours at some point start to complain about the car being parked there in this manner for a long period of time, police might get into this, check the registration and perhaps tow it away.

It seems, that the car has also a Dutch owner now, hopefully planning to have the car properly M.O.T-ed and re-registered in Holland....?

Best wishes,

Ronald.

I wish I could help - I love these E12's too and the last thing I want to see is one of them being needlessly destroyed for a paperwork and parking infraction. Sadly, absolutely no idea. Respect to your efforts to trace the owner 8) and hope you find him/her :)

HI,

Thanks for your support.

Indeed me and the guy who discovered the car in his street, are doing our utmost to find the owner and try to save the car.

Perhaps the owner isn't even aware of the fact that he can't have a car on the road this way, and the risk he's taking at the moment.

I do believe it must at least be someone who knows these cars are special, as this is not the type of car to buy when you're not at all interested in them. He has also taken the trouble to go to the UK and buy the car and bring it over here.

So I'm not giving up hope yet...

Only 9 cars (including the new one) are known in Holland at this point, so actually it's nice to see the 2nd RHD car in our country.

Will keep you all posted on developments!

Best wishes,

Ronald.

Hello,

Just a small update:

Local police has promissed to contact us directly if they decide to tow the car away and advise us where she is going.

They were understanding and willing to assist.

No sign or clue yet as to when this will eventually happen.

Christmas approaching, so I doubt there will be any activity soon, but early next year the street is going to be refurbished and thus the car has to go..

Will keep you all updated, and be assured that we will keep a close eye on this car.

Perhaps we will strike lucky, and the current owner turns up one day and we are able to talk to him...?

Best wishes, and stay tuned!

Ronald.

An alternative is to get the car moved to a safe place - but tell the police otherwise it will constitute theft! Whether you ask them beforehand or tell them you've done it is up to you but either way, you are being totally up front and honest. It also saves the Police aggro of moving it.

If the Police know where the car is, the owner can get it back. Then just wait for them to get in contact. They may well never do so and in the UK you can do this and then apply for a registraition certificate and claim ownership. I have done this twice with abandoned cars and in both cases ended up owning them.

This is what I would do - go and get it moved. You are doing nothing wrong or illegal and with luck you will own a very nice M535i.

Hi,

Yes indeed, that idea crossed our minds aswell.

Tell the police what our intentions are (saving the car), and where we will store it.

That way, if the owner wants to claim the car, that is still possible.

It indeed saves the police the towing and the storing hassle.

If the car is not claimed within a certian amount of time a 'certificate of legal obtaining' can be issued by police, and with that a Dutch registration can be obtained.

--- HOWEVER, breaking news: The car is GONE!!! ---

Just got the message.

It seems the car was removed around the first Christmas day.

We do not know yet if the owner just drove off, or that the car is indeed been towed by police. We are currently trying to find that out. (nobody has seen the car being removed).

Perhaps the owner knew the street was going to be refurbished early next year and removed the car.

Perhaps parked it a few streets further..???

Anyway, we hope to find either the car or the owner soon.

It would be a shame to see the car disappear and not knowing what is going to happen with her.

Best wishes,

Ronald.

Hello,

Well, there is good news. Car is located again!!

Currently in Amsterdam, and we have a lead to the chap who owns her.

Reason for the car being parked outside was pure lack of storage space indoors.

He owns several other BMW's and even a Rolls Royce.

The M535i seems to be for sale, and has indeed the papers with it referring to Nigel Mansell.

Will report further when we have had the chance to visit the car, talk to the owner and see the paperwork.

Best wishes,

Ronald.

'80 E12 M535i

'99 E39 530dA SE Touring

Hi all, i'm a new member and found this thread via Google. I must say, this really is an interesting tale attracted to this wonderful car. I have to say, these are equally my favourite cars of all time, though I am yet to realise the dream and buy one :( . I simply felt I had to post as when I read SevenThirtyEye's post above, and read the name Richard Counds, I became intrigued. I am the son of the guy who was at the time MD of Carl Norris BMW in Worcester, and so my dad knew Richard fairly well. I showed my dad, and it turns out that my dad remembers this car, and that he traded it to Richard Counds in exchange for an identical car in Polaris (?) Silver. Small world hey? :D

Anyway, just thought I would share my piece with you and add to this interesting tale. Please keep this updated as I would be extremely interested to learn what becomes of the poor old girl.

Many thanks,

Charlie

Hello again from Holland,

Although I did not have the chance yet to talk to the current owner and see the paperwork/history with the car, I did learn the car is for sale at the quite steep sum of around 7000 Pounds (9500 Euro's) and is still located in Amsterdam parked near the owners house.

The price is, in my view, mainly based on the previous Nigel Mansell ownership, and not really on the condition of the car, although the car is not at all in a bad shape.

Needs work in certain area's, but generally the car is very sound indeed.

I have a further and very interesting lead in my investigation about the Nigel Mansell ownership, but I can't reveal that much around it here at this time.

Will do so when I've more info to report.

@ Charlie - I've send you a PM about this car, would appreciate your further comments.

Best wishes from Holland,

Ronald.

£7k even with the Nigel connection does seem a bit steep, esp. as it doesn't look like it has been cherished.

I'm not convinced by the 'former celebrity owner' factor massively enhancing the value of day-to-day cars, sometimes it gets plain stupid, like the £50 or £60k paid for the Popes old VW and £75k odd paid by some Japanese guy for David Beckhams old Range Rover...

Now if the M535i had some competition history with NM being involved... Different story!

Hi all

Sorry to resurrect this very old thread but I wondered if anybody had managed to track this car down. The pictures have suffered the inevitable photobucket problems so they're now blurred (!), but the registration was: TDD 930X.

I'm interested as I am one of the previous owners of this car, running it from 1986-7. I was, I think, the third owner of it and I've got a few pics of the car and a couple of bits of info like an old tax disc & MOT certificate.

Anyone out there know of it's whereabouts?

Cheers

Cheers for the replies, Roots & Anthony.

I’m not surprised there’s no responses with more info on this one, 12 years is a bit of a long time with no updates.

I have only a nostalgic interest in this car and I’m not looking to buy or restore it, I’d just prefer for it to have survived rather than gone over the bridge like so many others. I have always liked the 5 series and driven/owned a few, so it seems a shame that their (relatively) low values means more and more are going to the crusher.
Since this thread exists for this particular car, I thought I’d put the info I have about it on record here, where it can be found if the car should ever re-emerge. It would be good if someone (thread owner or a mod) could update the title with the UK registration: TDD 930X. Not sure it’ll ever be back in the UK with that registration though since it was last seen in the Netherlands.

I acquired the car in August 1986, purchased from the previous owner who was based near to Rye in E Sussex. I don’t have and can’t remember the name of previous owner, I just remember he was reasonably wealthy and dispatched one of his employees to show me the car and let me drive it. The car was a delight to drive. I can’t remember the guy who showed me round it, although I have one abiding memory of him – I can remember the smell – he later told me was doing some pig farming on the side (!). That made sure I cleaned the interior thoroughly when I got it home. It had about 75,000 miles on it when I bought it – don’t have exact figures, just an old MOT from around that time. I think I paid about £5k for it. It was pretty sharp when I bought it, no significant panel damage or rust (see below for an exception), very clean interior (ignoring the pigsh*t) and drove really nicely. Since it was only 5 years old and always serviced regularly (as I recall), no surprise here.

When I bought the car, I had been told that Nigel Mansell had been the first owner. I couldn’t easily check up on this as you couldn’t see the full history of a car’s owners in the log book. In previous times (up to late 60s/early 70s) you could see full owner name & address history for the car. I recall the handbook and service history had Nigel’s name written in it, but this is not exactly full provenance. Allegedly he owned a few of these, buying (or maybe dealer loan cars?) them and swapping them for new one after a year. Anybody know Nigel in order to check this?

I owned TDD 930X for about a year. It was a great drive, superb engine with all the usual BMW driving strengths, lovely heavily weighted controls and balanced handing. It had the slightly weird dogleg first on the Gertrag box though. I went for the M535i originally because I wanted something that could cover the ground quickly without attracting too much attention. However I ended up buying one in white with Martini stripes – so much for trying to keep it discreet! It was great for fast A roads and motorways – the newly opened M25 (with no speed cameras) was a good place to try it out. It’s surprising how sharp some of the bends on the M25 are when you’re at speed. This was my first BMW but I have always loved the 5 series, I think the M5 (and the M535i before it) is all you need from a car - quality build, easily accessible performance with loads of space for 5 adults.

It was pretty reliable while I owned it, I had a friend who was a BMW dealer mechanic (handily!) who sorted out the odd niggle. The only one I can remember was a cracked exhaust manifold (is that a “they all do that sir” problem for these?) which was welded rather than replaced. The body was immaculate, except for patches of rust inside the door shuts near the check strap (again: is this normal for these models?). I repaired this myself, although it wasn’t my finest piece of panel repair work I’m afraid. Other than that it just had regular servicing.

I sold the car sometime in 1987 for about £6k. The guy who bought it was a collector and he was interested in it particularly because of the Nigel Mansell heritage. He was based somewhere near Bedford and was building up a collection of cars. My main memory of him was that he owned a Cosworth RS 500, which I took for a blast up the road once we’d concluded the sale – great fun!

It’s interesting to compare the £6k I sold it for with the £7k apparently being asked for it in 2008. It seems second hand M535’s haven’t varied much in price over the years.

I’m including my pictures of the car, again as a way of passing on its history to whoever gets it next, assuming it has managed to survive.

If anyone needs to contact me in the future and I’m not replying to this thread, then just message me and I’ll respond eventually.