r0ryb

Front wiper arms

Morning all, Since I had my front windscreen replaced whenever I use the wiper blades they never sit right. Iv adjust them and when I use wipers again they go back to same position. Any ideas on this as driving me crazy now 

How are you adjusting them?

To position the blades / arms correctly you will have to take them off the splined shaft & move 

to the correct parked position.

Unless you have issue's with the arms or motor it should always park in the same position. 

roryb.

Remove the wiper arms,  activate the wiper switch and turn off when the spindles are in the rest position.  Refit the arms in that position.

Check that the bearings aren't failing in the wiper arms. It's a common fault and can result in the arm falling off completely. Repair kits are available on ebay.

Mark

In today's vast rain in Birmingham, my driver's side wiper + arm broke off and fell off onto the road. Luckily i was in moving in slow traffic. It looked like both bearings had rusted and disappeared completely. Please check yours asap. I dread what could have happened if I was in the fast motorway lane. Funny thing, I got home 2 hrs late and the misses couldn't understand how it broke off if it passed MOT done last week. I told her MOT and servicing are 2 different things, bless her. Still got an ear load!

17 hours ago, San75 said:

In today's vast rain in Birmingham, my driver's side wiper + arm broke off and fell off onto the road. Luckily i was in moving in slow traffic. It looked like both bearings had rusted and disappeared completely. Please check yours asap. I dread what could have happened if I was in the fast motorway lane. Funny thing, I got home 2 hrs late and the misses couldn't understand how it broke off if it passed MOT done last week. I told her MOT and servicing are 2 different things, bless her. Still got an ear load!

Even on a service they wouldn’t look at the wiper arms. 
Piece of advice tho, don’t get a patterned part. Just it from BMW. they are about £10-£15 more. I had two patterned ones and they left a streak in the centre of the windscreen after a few weeks. Numerous changes of wiper blades I decided to get another one, then numerous wiper blade changes again and still didn’t clear right I went for a BMW one and haven’t had a problem since. 

I noted the tell tail rust streak going down the panel under the wiper arms (from the wiper arms)

I just did the bearing replacement (with better than oe bearings)

Cost under a tenner, oe arms & less than a hour.

All good for the last two years.

Edited by dirtydirtydiesel

I got a replacement arm from Amazon for £18. Fitted and works perfectly.

My bearings failed on a Friday night before a bank hol and going away camping, luckily my BMW dealer had one on the shelf, changed and all well, surprised it just fell off while using wipers on a motorway :blink: