garryv

My first BMW - E28 528i

Purchased the car December last year. From what I have researched I'm the fourth owner. Car is very original, few mechanical problems to sort out from a lack of care and driving (last owner inherited the car and did not like it). A couple rust spots too - bonnet and left front door about halfway down.  I'm focused on getting her reliable first - changed belts, hoses, water pump - and changed front lower control arms which gives a more stable ride. Need to convert the air con as its still R12 and you NEED air con here, gets hot at idle (hits 1pm on the dial) but the fan clutch looks OK so still troubleshooting that, power steering line has a small leak. Cosmetic stuff I want to do: fix OBC which is not on at all, rear windows stutter all the way down, drivers seat is not aligned and points left, headliner was yellow staining on the c-pillars, and electric seats don't like adjustments with any weight on them.

IMG_1313.JPG

IMG_1314.JPG

IMG_0844.PNG

IMG_0846.PNG

Nice looking car - A/C and cruise were two things i really wanted on mine.

If i recall BMW sell a kit to convert from R12 too (or they did)

That looks lovely - Sapphire blue iirc. Some M30's do run hot at idle and on the ones that just won't behave, I've found a small hole drilled in the thermostat outer ring cures it - only 2 or 3mm or so. Refit the stat with the hole at the top though. 

9 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Nice looking car - A/C and cruise were two things i really wanted on mine.

If i recall BMW sell a kit to convert from R12 too (or they did)

Yep they do, about $90 local dollars, plus $290 for a new receiver.

9 hours ago, Nick75 said:

Congrats, it looks clean.

What 110 stands for? ^_^

Don't think it stands for anything, plates were on the car when I purchased

1 hour ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

That looks lovely - Sapphire blue iirc. Some M30's do run hot at idle and on the ones that just won't behave, I've found a small hole drilled in the thermostat outer ring cures it - only 2 or 3mm or so. Refit the stat with the hole at the top though. 

I'll keep that in mind, thanks!