Gte86

Hoping to become a 530i Touring owner

Hi I'm Tom 

I'm 34 and from Newport Pagnell

Had a few cars over the years. Starting off on Nova GTEs and then a homebuilt Redtop Nova with NOS. A few years down the line and I've got an Audi A4 b6 pd130. 

I've been after an E38 735i for ages and now I've got the money together I've realised it's not as practical for my large family and dogs. 

So change of plan. I'm after an e39 530iA touring. 

I'm here for any advise on things to check when buying and faults to look out for. 

I'm a mechanic by trade so I know my way around a car and I'm confident on the spanners. 

I can't wait to have a touring so I can get a trailer and get my dads 33 Ford hotrod out to some shows on it. 

IMG_20200906_213554_619.jpg

16 hours ago, Gte86 said:

Hi I'm Tom 

I'm 34 and from Newport Pagnell

Had a few cars over the years. Starting off on Nova GTEs and then a homebuilt Redtop Nova with NOS. A few years down the line and I've got an Audi A4 b6 pd130. 

I've been after an E38 735i for ages and now I've got the money together I've realised it's not as practical for my large family and dogs. 

So change of plan. I'm after an e39 530iA touring. 

I'm here for any advise on things to check when buying and faults to look out for. 

I'm a mechanic by trade so I know my way around a car and I'm confident on the spanners. 

I can't wait to have a touring so I can get a trailer and get my dads 33 Ford hotrod out to some shows on it. 

IMG_20200906_213554_619.jpg

Welcome to the forums :) 

You'll not go wrong with an E39 touring; I am biased :mrgreen:

Having owned an E38 myself; superb car, but the E39 touring just does it better IMO

What kind of spec are you ideally after and what's your budget? 

There's a superb & busy E39 tech section further down the homepage; so you'll find all the info you need there for do's and don't's... But in a nutshell; things to check are:

Rust (mainly sills, arches, tailgate lid etc)

Cooling system maintenance

Suspension and brakes maintenance (especially the main arms, bushes and rear SLS is working as it should)

Any wobbles around 50/60mph and when braking (suspension & caliper issues generally)

All electrics work as they should

Oil and other engine fluid leaks (on the M54, all easily sorted)

I'm saving the E38 V8 for my midlife crisis. 

I've got a budget of around 4.5k but ideally I would like to spend around 3 on a car and then spend the rest on suspension refresh, gearbox filter, full service and coolant system overhaul. 

I would like an m sport as they just look mean in my eyes. 

Typically it seems I missed the ideal car at the wkend :rolleyes:

57 minutes ago, Gte86 said:

I'm saving the E38 V8 for my midlife crisis. 

I've got a budget of around 4.5k but ideally I would like to spend around 3 on a car and then spend the rest on suspension refresh, gearbox filter, full service and coolant system overhaul. 

I would like an m sport as they just look mean in my eyes. 

Typically it seems I missed the ideal car at the wkend :rolleyes:

That sounds about the right way to do it

Very similar to what I did with my touring; albeit mine was that bit more expensive with it being a Jap import. But I've nigh on rebuilt it now; just a few 'tweaks' left to do :) 

Keep looking; they do crop up ;) If not already; join the BMW E39 Touring club on Facebook (if you're on there) as well as the E39 Touring Buy/Sell group and stick a wanted ad up. Do the same on here in the 'Wanted' section

Yours does look lovely Sandip but I'm after a touring. 

I wish could make a saloon work but the dog would destroy it in no time. 

I'm not on Facebook but I'll stick a post on here and keep an eye out. 

There is a couple on autotrader and gumtree but they are high money and the mot history screams of neglect. 

I'm not necessarily looking at mileage as I'm well aware a well maintained 180k is better than a 120k with lack of preventative maintenance. 

My friend had a E61 535d and is trying to convince me that I need that amount of torque in my life :wacko:

2 hours ago, Gte86 said:

Yours does look lovely Sandip but I'm after a touring. 

I wish could make a saloon work but the dog would destroy it in no time. 

I'm not on Facebook but I'll stick a post on here and keep an eye out. 

There is a couple on autotrader and gumtree but they are high money and the mot history screams of neglect. 

I'm not necessarily looking at mileage as I'm well aware a well maintained 180k is better than a 120k with lack of preventative maintenance. 

My friend had a E61 535d and is trying to convince me that I need that amount of torque in my life :wacko:

Nah; you don't need a dirty oil burner unless you do massive miles (25/30k plus etc); plus the E39 is a better motor ;) Having looked at and test drove a number of E61 530Ds and 535Ds; I'd never want to own one. The E65 730D I had was a superb place to be; but the electrical niggles let it down and I'd not want to run that risk again personally 

There is a high miler E39 touring on eBay currently; for it's miles, it's overpriced and they're just playing on someone not knowing what they're doing to buy it.. 

Keep looking; they do crop up :) 

The Irish plate one? 

The mot fail in 2017 put me off that. Rear subframe attachment corrosion. 

Not sure how severe that is or how well repaired it was put I've seen cars go for less with cleaner mot histories 

35 minutes ago, Gte86 said:

The Irish plate one? 

The mot fail in 2017 put me off that. Rear subframe attachment corrosion. 

Not sure how severe that is or how well repaired it was put I've seen cars go for less with cleaner mot histories 

I haven't looked at the MOT history, but even still, at 183k miles, nearly £4k the price is way off... 

As you said, it'll need easy £1k putting into it to sort any issues and refresh suspension / cooling system as part of the course etc... 

Hell, my touring is nigh on immaculate, even when I bought it, but I've spent a small fortune replacing parts as preventative maintenance / peace of mind etc... 

Personally I'd spend more and get a better example that needs little doing to it, if you can. But finding one can be difficult. 

It'd be worth signing up to Facebook to join those mentioned groups IMO 

11 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Nah; you don't need a dirty oil burner unless you do massive miles (25/30k plus etc); plus the E39 is a better motor ;) Having looked at and test drove a number of E61 530Ds and 535Ds; I'd never want to own one. The E65 730D I had was a superb place to be; but the electrical niggles let it down and I'd not want to run that risk again personally 

There is a high miler E39 touring on eBay currently; for it's miles, it's overpriced and they're just playing on someone not knowing what they're doing to buy it.. 

Keep looking; they do crop up :) 

+1 for getting an E39 versus E61. I've had both in touring form and although the E61 had more toys, it always felt a bit more plasticky compared to the E39 and was certainly more maintenance-hungry. Lots of torque in the E61 530d version and even more in 535d, but you just can't beat the creamy sound of an M54 straight six in an E39.

Edited by Toughguyhuh

10 hours ago, Gte86 said:

@d_a_n1979 £500 pound price drop on the Irish plate one :roll:

Needs another £1500 off for it to become viable :lol: