oldjohnny

ebay and vat.

Just made a purchase from Lithuania on ebay and noticed the total wasn't right.   It appears that as and from 21st January, vat is now charged and collected by ebay.   it is something called the UK 2021 vat e commerce package.  Applies to items up to £135 imported to the UK, and above this the recipient will have to pay vat to facilitate customs clearance.  

All news to me so bugger that in the future!

Welcome to Brexit

This another things those that voted for Brexit are complaining about. The warnings where there and they didn't listen!

There have been a number of cases where companies like DPD and DHL have been contacting customers stating we have a delivery for you, you must pay us the VAT and import duty before we deliver, they are then adding a £5 to £10 handling fee for doing the revenues job. It also seems to be that it's the buyer that should know about it and it's not the seller's job to tell you

Hi,

As per above from Stressed. In short, It's now the same thing as if anyone personally or commercially imported from outside the EU so the 'deal' enjoyed by the UK ended on 1st January. It's not just 'ebay' but every company or think of it as 'nationally' or 'governmental level' .It's causing businesses in the UK facing significant cost increases and also sellers abroad who are businesses deciding they can't be bothered with the UK market. More and more people who otherwise didn't/haven't been keeping up with the news about Brexit and it's effects are now beginning to find their purchase they didn't think twice about previously now have the extra costs/hassle involved and aren't happy about it. 

'Hopefully' the UK government will discuss and make better arrangements in the future to make things easier/less costly. Quite when or even if that happens is anyones guess

Cheers, Dennis!

Edited by DennisCooper

I love your optimism about the government (haha) they will just be happy getting the extra tax!

There have been a number of things Brexitiers have been up in arms about. One that made me laugh was people moaning about the "new" rules;e on only being able to stay in Europe for 90 days within 180 days. It isn't a new rule at all. It has always been 90 days for people who live outside the EU. We are outside the EU now.

All these things people that voted Brexit are moaning about are the things that they either ignored or did look into before they voted.

No health care in the EU once your EHIC card has run out

Pet passports no longer being valid.

Not being able to go and work in any EU country you choose without a work visa.

Not being able to employ anyone from the EU on less that £25k per year and them having to pass an English test.

Hi Stressed,

On the flipside - there's been a Free Trade Deal done with Japan, also India as well so it won't be long now for the sunny uplands to arrive and there'll be massive growth now that the UK is free from the shackles of the EU!  There's going to be a scrum of Brexiters rushing to setup new companies to take advantage of the new opportunities and lots of well paid jobs to be created!

According to Rees Mogg, the benefits of the above may be felt in about 50 years, so plenty to look forward to 

:)

Cheers, Dennis!

Unfortunately the free trade deal with Japan is the same as the one with the EU. You still have to pay VAT etc.

Also, the UK as an EU member, had a free trade deal with Japan which was signed in 2018. After Brexit when the UK signed this newer deal with Japan, the Japanese, for fear of irking the much larger EU block were at pains to point out that there was nothing more favourable for the UK in this UK-Japan deal than was in the existing EU-Japan deal.

Keliuss

Edited by Keliuss
typo

Have we taken control or have those that voted Brexit just fallen for the lies that benefit the super rich Like  Reece Mog. Mog's multi Billion £ business is registered in a Tax haven, pays no uk tax. The supper rich wanted out of the EU because the EU was bringing in laws that would clamp down on the use of these tax havens and make campaigns and the super rich pay tax in the countries they make their profits 

14 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

I buy from UK sellers, sorted. 

Let me give you an example where I have some experience - scale model cars.  Not sure about others, but I would always try to buy from a UK source first.  Sometimes though, that is not possible.  I give you the example of one company based in the EU, who make high end 1:18 models.  They don't have a retailer in the UK, so you buy direct.  Pre Brexit, you paid the same as everyone else in the world. with €13 postage.  Now, not only are you paying more for the car, but the carriage is now €51.

Ebay is now adding VAT to what you pay for purchases outside the UK.  This is because rather than the system which existed before where VAT was charged at the point of import for anything coming from outside the EU, now it is charged at the point of purchase for goods under £135 - the old system still applies to goods over that value.  There used to be a £15 exemption - which covered a fair number of eBay purchases.  That is no longer the case.  SO - non UK sellers who wish to supply goods to consumers in the UK now have to register for UK VAT,  charge it, and pay it over.  This is WAY too much hassle for most small sellers  - so instead they just don't bother selling to UK customers anymore.  Couriers will now charge silly amounts to send stuff to the UK because of the extra paperwork involved for them - so more cost for Joe puplic at home on his PC trying to order stuff.

From the UK Government point of view, they get their VAT much more easily, and don't have to check so many items at customs - it's win win for them.  At least it is as long as the imports keep coming - which they may not.

It's a pain in the arse for everyone.

15 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

I buy from UK sellers, sorted. 

Yes, I think there should be a big rush of Brexit supporters looking to start new businesses and there'll be lots of UK based sellers offering more products and services that we had whilst part of the EU. That rush of incorporations should be happening now!...

1 hour ago, whiskychaser said:

You have to ask, if we have taken back control, whose idea it was to require import clearance and collection of VAT 

We'll likely not get a persons name or if there is, they'll be setup for the flack!

43 minutes ago, Stressed said:

Have we taken control or have those that voted Brexit just fallen for the lies that benefit the super rich Like  Reece Mog. Mog's multi Billion £ business is registered in a Tax haven, pays no uk tax. The supper rich wanted out of the EU because the EU was bringing in laws that would clamp down on the use of these tax havens and make campaigns and the super rich pay tax in the countries they make their profits 

Yes we've taken control and the whole VAT mess/situation is a result of it. 'Hopefully' now that we can set our own laws, the government will resolve it so that businesses can trade more freely :)

It's all early days, coming up to the 1st quarter ending as Independent UK, lets see what more improvements come our way as a country .. I'm sure I can hear those new companies being formed... 

Cheers, Dennis!

Unbelievable isn't it, "They knew what tthey were voting for... Get Brexit done...", that's democracy via missinformation, dangerous.

I got news for you all, Brexit will never be done, trade negotiations will continue for many more years until the UK rejoins a flavour of the Single Market and Customs Union, preferably before the UK breaks apart.

Upsides anyone?

Accountability? ... Na!

1 hour ago, DarkHorse said:

Unbelievable isn't it, "They knew what tthey were voting for... Get Brexit done...", that's democracy via missinformation, dangerous.

I got news for you all, Brexit will never be done, trade negotiations will continue for many more years until the UK rejoins a flavour of the Single Market and Customs Union, preferably before the UK breaks apart.

Upsides anyone?

Accountability? ... Na!

No I cannot see any upsides. It will just cost the average man more in the short and long term.

This is already having an impact in the construction industry for major infrastructure projects. The UK relies on loads of European contractors for tunnelling and engineering. On Thames Tideway, HS2 and the new UK power networks tunnelling projects they are having trouble getting skilled staff into the country to work due to the "must be employed on £25k per year rule" 

I voted remain.

We left. I and my lot were outvoted. 

Tough titties, time to stop whining on about it and crack on because it could be a resounding success with the right attitude. My first concern is the EU directive about the ban on menthol fags. :lol:

What I'm most happy about since Brexit is the £350 million per week we're pumping into the NHS instead of paying it to the EU.

*rolls his eyes and goes for a lie down before his head explodes

One massive advantage of brexit is that Tampax are now vat free, really affordable and make brilliant masks although you may attract a few odd looks!

7 hours ago, oldjohnny said:

One massive advantage of brexit is that Tampax are now vat free...

The joke is that even that claim is dubious when related to Brexit.

2021 Britain didn’t need Brexit to end tampon tax.

2019 We don’t need to leave the EU to scrap the tampon tax.

but then Brexit on contact with facts and reality often results in a new flavour of oxymoron.