mpgscott

AGM Battery

Hi All,

Well thats me just got the car back after my ignition key saga (anyone with a diamond key please think carefully about swapping out the ignition barrel while you can) so car was at the garage and they have said the battery is not holding a charge.  Its a Lion 019 battery from ECP bought last August so will get it swapped out.  Anyway for now the garage gave me a 95Ah AGM battery to use for the moment, there isnt an issue with the car i checked via ISTA and all looking ok nothing in the high current draw all cycles looking fine.  I had the car re-coded recently from it being a 110Ah originally to this 95Ah battery thats failed.  However this was after a couple of months of it being in the car so not sure if that would have caused the problem.

The question i have is, that should i recode in for the AGM even if its a temporary placment?  Just think i will fit the normal 95Ah one back in once i get a replacment from ECP.  Whats the thoughts should i just recode for the AGM regardless or will a few days be ok?

Thanks as usual.

I wouldn't bother. The risk you have with a temporary AGM battery is overcharging it. But unless the battery is already 100% and you then decided to drive for hours at a time you won't fully charge it anyway. Each time you unlock and start the car you'll take a chunk of charge out of the battery,  So for a couple of days unless you are doing long journeys I doubt you'll do any harm.

6 minutes ago, JasonH said:

I wouldn't bother. The risk you have with a temporary AGM battery is overcharging it. But unless the battery is already 100% and you then decided to drive for hours at a time you won't fully charge it anyway. Each time you unlock and start the car you'll take a chunk of charge out of the battery,  So for a couple of days unless you are doing long journeys I doubt you'll do any harm.

Needing to do a couple of hundred miles, so might need to code it.

1 hour ago, JasonH said:

Fair enough. Yes if coded for lead acid and doing a few hundred miles you could well overcharge an AGM. 

Hi Jason,

Do you happen to know, when coding in the agm battery so I set the vo from my current -B90 to be -A90 for the 95Ah agm battery.  However when you edit the FSW_PSW.TRC file do you need to alter anything as this is already set to 90?  Just can’t see anything that you add into this file to tell it’s agm which I don’t think you need to as it’s simply showing the Ah?

so would I be right in thinking I don’t need to alter this file?

Finally I will register with Ista+

44 minutes ago, JasonH said:

Sorry I can't help on the coding side.

No worries, looks like i need to change the 'KLASSE_BATTERIE BATTERY TYPE' to be '90ah_agm' happy days..