AdamB

Royal Steering Wheels

How many of you have a retrimmed wheel from these guys?

any pics / reviews? (I’d like some pics prior to fitting to see quality of finish-trimming/tucking etc)

what options did you guys go with?

Yup; excellent service & finish

Wouldn't use/recommend anyone else TBH

Had this in my 1st E39 530i; will be getting another like it (without the paddles though; waste of time IMO) when I pull my finger out ;):lol:

3AEE7F9A-AEA8-41CD-A937-7A4546E74C85.jpg

Same here, really good quality finish. I had perforated leather on the sides, normal on top and bottom. And m Tri stitch. 

The thing that pushed me to get it done was getting the airbag recall. Having a new airbag with a battered wheel wasn't too nice.

Here's a before and after

IMG-20170725-WA0015.jpeg

IMG_20171220_143812.jpg

Edited by Qasim

I see you both went for nappa/perforated....

I was tempted, I like the perforated I had on a momo wheel on an old car, I’m not entirely convinced it suits the e39 although it’s defo personal preference.

did you both go for “normal” thickness? Or padded?

I too have the new airbag fitted, and it’ll look great with a retrim.

I'm quite tempted by just some new patterned leather all over, maybe with the tri-colour stitching.

that said I think the e46 m3 had an all nappa wheel that lots of people fit, that looks nice too!

anyone found decent replacement plastics? 

Mine definitely feels thicker than the original and it feels a lot better, and the plastic is still marked. I was thinking of respraying it in satin black but I've never got around to it.

Thicker here too... I've slab like hands, so the thicker wheel felt much better and comfier 

Hi,

+1 from me as well for Jack!

Around 2010'ish and prior to him creating 'Royal Steering Wheels' I had him do a couple SMG steering wheels and the results were less than good. Had a good few meetings to discuss his operation and part of that was that I leant him my OEM CSL steering wheel so that he could improve the quality to be as close/the same as that. A short while later, that was achieved and RSW was created soon after and he's done a great job over the years for doing BMW steering wheels (as well as plenty other brands too) 

For the refinishing of the trim pieces, then there is an enthusiast with an M3 who refurbishes them to an excellent standard using a proper automotive grade paint I believe. I need to re-do my CSL wheel and so will have Jack do the retrim and the other enthusiast do the trim set. I'll get his details and with his permission post here;

Cheers, Dennis!

Had mine done by Jack in 2016 in alcantara, very happy with the finished article (he did the lower trim too). The alcantara is starting to show signs of flattening in the 2&10 positions where my hands sit after 4 years but if the car was a daily driver I wouldn't have gone with alcantara.

1355950934_2016-02-2814_49.42HDR.thumb.jpg.779aa2daf62bcf7e50919c488e9eac5e.jpg

oldwheel.thumb.jpg.476ecf34723a13614717a648ccbdc21e.jpgnewsteerignwheel.thumb.jpg.9fe4ce01a0e1140870a03a1f1f779365.jpg

I had mine done by Jack a couple of years ago. Went slightly thicker with Napa to match the gear knob.

A bodyshop managed to get filler on the original which I couldn't get off without damaging it. That prompted the re-trim, but I am very happy I did as it's much more comfortable that the original.

these look great. What's a ballpark cost for a steering wheel retrim? Although the leather on mine is in ok condition some of the stitching is coming away under the top of the rim.

9 minutes ago, lufbramatt said:

these look great. What's a ballpark cost for a steering wheel retrim? Although the leather on mine is in ok condition some of the stitching is coming away under the top of the rim.

C£150 IIRC; with a deposit that they refund once you send your wheel back to them (after you've swapped out all the gubbins)

However; they'll sell you the wheel as is too. if you wanted to keep your OEM one etc

I'd say definitely one of the best upgrades you can do to an E39 along with the weighted ZHP shift knob. Definitely brings up the interior to a more modern feel.

7 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

C£150 IIRC; with a deposit that they refund once you send your wheel back to them (after you've swapped out all the gubbins)

However; they'll sell you the wheel as is too. if you wanted to keep your OEM one etc

cheers, less than I thought. That can go on the list then!