Cairn

Glow plugs

Hi I’m looking for any help at all , I’m having a slight charging problem with my e60. For the fisrt 10 mins the car runs rough and doesn’t charge , some smoke comes from exhaust whilst it’s doing this but after 10 minutes it clears n runs smooth and charges as it should .I’ve narrowed it down to glow plug cylinder 1 but they are new plugs not long changed it’s been like this since they were change when I was changing them the connector doesn’t clip on like the rest it just sits on to the plug I’m wondering if that would cause resistance and the glow plug isn’t heating up correctly for that time which in turn send the voltage form alternator to there and car won’t charge because of this connection , is there a sensor in the clip that would not allow it to b hard wired into the glow plug and need to buy a new connecor and repair it or can it b done by bypassing it , I thought if it still had contact with the plug it should b fine but it’s my first bmw and found that any small problem can cause 100 different problems 

A bad glow plug connection would not affect the charging of the battery. 

Rarely the glow plugs come on, especially in summer so your running issue is more than likely other items at play. 

Have you had your error codes read to see if there is something logged?

As @dj1233 said, the glow plugs don't come on as often as you think. These engines will start without glow plugs unless you have extremely low temperatures.

What colour is the exhaust smoke?