garryv

Rust under hood air grille - repair kits?

Hello, recently purchased my first E28 - a 1984 528i.  Its is good condition - so far I've being slowly working on mechanics to get her reliable.

I've found rust under the right side hood grille/vent (51131874518). It's visible under the hood if you peel away the insulation (51481904314). From under the hood, the sheet metal looks like a seperate piece welded to the hood itself. My question is: any chance an aftermarket repair kit exists for this, or a part number? RealOEM doesn't show anything so I'm not hopeful.

Thanks in advance.

These are integrated with the bonnet. Good body shop should shape a one for you and weld in. Or clean loose rust and treat it with good rust converter then apply a coat or two of epoxy primer. 

These are covered anyway by mentioned insulation and a seal on the edge.

Hi Garry,

The bonnet still looks to be available from the main stealers.

I replaced the bonnet on the Zobelbraun Eta back in 2017, rather than pay lots cash for lots of man hours to fix a rusted bonnet which already had some poor previous repair work.

Hood 

No. Description Supp. Qty  From   Up To  Part Number Price   Notes
01 Hood   1     41611955456 $478.98  

Most of the under bonnet rubbers, seals and insulation also look like they are still available if you choose to go down this route.

Stay safe and best regards,

Mick

Edited by Ordnator

I'll see what the local dealers want for a new hood - not expecting much less than $1000 here in Australia. I'll get some quotes on a repair too - rest of the bonnet is in good shape. I've got all the foam and rubbers new and ready to go - once I decide which way to go.

Hi Garry,

Do you have any photographs of your E28?

We like photographs.

Best regards,

Mick