McBeemer

F10 Blocked washer bottle filter - easy possible fix.

So - I had a weak o/s washer jet and seeing that the nozzle had broken from its cradle (a temporary fix sorted for that) I was about to change the entire washer pipe with the two nozzles until I read that the weakness may indeed be being caused by a blocked filter in the washer bottle housed in the o/s front wing. I didn't fancy pulling the wheel arch liner off to get to the filter (for a proper clean) so though I would attempt this first as a quick fix. IT WORKED A TREAT so it's worth an attempt before you start pulling the car to bits.

You will need:

Process:

1. Under the bonnet at the back on the drivers side, near the A pillar, disconnect the inlet pipe from washer bottle that connects to the nozzle rail/pipe as per pictures. Note - it has a wired connector for heated jets etc. Be careful how you remove so as to not break the connector.
  2. Once freed, pull it behind the bonnet so you can access it and then blow a good few hard puffs into this pipe as per the pictures. You should hear the bottle bubbling. Blow several times into it.
  3. Feed the fish tank pipe deep into the washer bottle and then syphon the contents into a bucket. Be careful not so get any of the contents into your mouth. Warning - it tastes vile! DO NOT SWALLOW (daft statement I know).
  4. Keep blowing as per 2 as it's syphoning.
  5. Once empty - poor some bleach into the washer bottle 100ml - not loads and then put a kettle full of boiling water into the washer bottle. Leave a few minutes - repeating step 2 as many times as you can. 
  6. Repeat the syphoning process (I added some more cold water at this point) continually blowing as per 2.

After two full kettles what was syphoning for me was clear with no bits in the pipe. I then added clean water, repeated the process of blowing and then activated the washers to clean the pipe to the nozzle rail. This squirts high so make sure you're in the car and no one is near! 

Note the contents of the bucket with all sorts of congealed gunk extracted. Gross. 

I reconnected the pipe (1) and hey presto I have full power washers across the screen again!

Running clean water at the minute. I was using Tesco Ready to Use Screenwash, may order some BMW genuine stuff off EBAY.

Worth a go if like me you didn't fancy the wheel arch method - which may of course be needed for some/me at some point.

IMG_6674.JPG

IMG_6680.JPG

IMG_6678.JPG

IMG_6678_LI.jpg

IMG_6677.JPG

IMG_6677_LI.jpg

IMG_6676.JPG

IMG_6681.JPG

Edited by McBeemer

The BMW screenwash is very potent, protect down to minus 63 deg C!  But it does have stuff in it to prevent the build up of slime and gunge in the washer bottle which blocks the filters.

It is a bit of a pain to get to the washer bottle.

Yes getting the filter out is a real knuckle scraper. Next time I get a blockage I think I will try this. One thing I have learned is not to mix different brands of screenwash - some combinations creat a gunk that blocks the filter.

14 hours ago, JCP said:

One thing I have learned is not to mix different brands of screenwash - some combinations creat a gunk that blocks the filter.

Generally the lower the freezing point of the screenwash, the more alcohol etc is in it which limits the bacterial growth that forms the gunk/mould.  I've used Holts and Tesco stuff and never had an issue, now use the BMW stuff as once diluted goes a long way and keeps the filters clear

Great write up, cleaning the washer pump filter has been on my to-do list for ages but kept putting it off because it's such a faff.

Followed your instructions when it was getting dark this evening - dead easy, the washer jets are now much more powerful.

Took me a few goes to realise you don't have to remove the siphon pipe when adding more water :rolleyes:

Cheers

On 16/02/2021 at 08:16, 535i Andrew said:

Generally the lower the freezing point of the screenwash, the more alcohol etc is in it which limits the bacterial growth that forms the gunk/mould.  I've used Holts and Tesco stuff and never had an issue, now use the BMW stuff as once diluted goes a long way and keeps the filters clear

^^^+1

I think that screen wash strength is one of the biggest contributors to problems - lots of the cheaper brands recommend as little as 20% diluted with water when it’s not too cold to freeze, but a low concentration coupled with some high under bonnet temperatures is a recipe for algae growth.

Just done this and it looks to have worked a treat. 

There's a grey twist lock on the fluid pipe and I had to lever the retention tab up on the heated washer plug but it was really straightforward. Who knows how long it'll last but with MOT on Wednesday i'm happy that i'll not get my leg lifted for 100 notes for them to clean it out!

So....this works. 

Popped out to a local DIY store and picked up some 5mm clear tubing. Did as OP said and blew down connector.

Siphoned out loads of snot.  Took a long time and probably 40 odd litres of water to get it completely clear . Kept pumping water through via washer stalk and blowing alternately ...still only a dribble...until this milky cloudy fluid suddenly shout out and then flow back to normal.

Most of the snot was whitish clear...actually looked like someone got a bit too friendly with my washer bottle :mrgreen:.

Then the stuff in the picture came out...but still took a good few flushes more. 

Works like a dream now.

Thank you again.

20210315_104527.jpg

Looks like algae growth due to the windscreen wash not having enough or any  biocide in it. Lucky you managed to shift it.

Another success! Thanks for the advice.

I did as directed, to be fair, I think after the first siphon / blow, the problem was gone. But I did two half kettles of bleach / water.  Worth noting that the siphon won't completely empty the reservoir so the bleach or whatever is a good idea to break up any remnants.  Can confirm that bleach is up there on the taste scale with cheap Scotch.  A swill out of the mouth with tea seems to have fixed me (not dead yet).

My deposits were more on the black side of things...

image.png

BMW screenwash is expensive, but it's good.

Funny thing about that.  You would think, wouldn't you, that a BMW main dealer would use the proper stuff to top up customer's cars?  Well no - not in my local Arnold Clark - Ooops - I mean  Harry Fairbairn.  Standards are slipping.

I am suffering with the same issue. I added bleech and hot water but just came out diluted, saw a few white stuff but that was it. Initially when I blow It seems to be blocked but then it bubbles.

still not working, any more ideas?

29 minutes ago, AdeelF10 said:

I am suffering with the same issue. I added bleech and hot water but just came out diluted, saw a few white stuff but that was it. Initially when I blow It seems to be blocked but then it bubbles.

still not working, any more ideas?

Remove the washer reservoir and clean it off the car, that way you can get at the filter and manually clean it as the other advice in this thread has failed for you,

Edited by Matthew Ashton