MrDarkArtz

My BMW saga

Where to begin... a few days ago I saw a 2003 BMW 520i (auto) for sale cheap as a non-runner. The seller stated the battery had died and the car wouldn’t start anymore. So I bought it!

Cars here and I have checked absolutely everything, I’ve spoken to a BMW mechanic (indy) and even he is baffled. So here’s the situation and what I’ve done and checked so far.

The car cranks, but won’t start. When the ignition is turned on, I can’t hear the fuel pump run, so I figured that was the issue... nope! Whilst it doesn’t run on ignition, it does on crank and ISTA can activate the pump. I also took 12v direct and it kicked in. So the pump is fine, but I don’t know why it won’t boot on ignition.

I have checked the DME. It’s bone dry, brand new looking. I have check for continuity on every single fuse in the car, all was fine.

I have checked for a spark, I’ve got it. Checked for fuel in the rail, it’s there (with pressure as is spat it out). I re-aligned the CAS and DME, still nothing. So, I’m now lost for what the do or check next.

Anyone have any ideas? Anything is appreciated right now!

Ive attached the most recent codes. This was AFTER cranking!

90B895EB-96BC-4561-9662-7E8D14A237E6.jpeg

You have a fault code there for IBS (intelligent battery sensor) that may be your issue. Below is a guide to replace it, but for now just disconnecting it should tell you whether it is preventing the car from starting.

14 minutes ago, edd_jedi said:

You have a fault code there for IBS (intelligent battery sensor) that may be your issue. Below is a guide to replace it, but for now just disconnecting it should tell you whether it is preventing the car from starting.

Thanks for getting back to me! I’ve tried both with and without it plugged in. Still nothing, unfortunately 

With ISTA have you tried looking under Service Functions > Body > Voltage to check that the battery is in good health and charged enough? The car will not start if below the minimum level (about 30% I believe)

1 hour ago, edd_jedi said:

With ISTA have you tried looking under Service Functions > Body > Voltage to check that the battery is in good health and charged enough? The car will not start if below the minimum level (about 30% I believe)

Yeah, I’ve had 2 different, fully charged batteries on it now, still nothing, unfortunately 

Yes, but have you checked ISTA anyway? Fitting a brand new battery can make no difference if the car still thinks the old one is in there. Maybe at some point a previous owner fitted a new battery without registering it so the car still thinks the old one is in there. Use ISTA to check when the last battery registration took place, what charge state the car thinks the battery is in, etc. You may be surprised, I recently 'fully charged' my battery only to find the car thought it was 40-50% charged resulting in various fault codes and iDrive warnings.

3 minutes ago, MrDarkArtz said:

Will it allow that? I thought keys were 1 time coding then never again?

Only the fob can be trained to open other cars and retrained to open yours. The ignition transponder is one time hard coded.

Keliuss

I thought that it could have lost information from the key?

My mate has e91. He had clutch replaced and mechanic didnt tighten starter motor bolts and one day when my mate went to start the car,it just kept spinning starter in the air not actually turning over engine. We tried pull start it,but no.luck. I then tried to recode the fob and it worked. Maybe car thought that somebody tried to hotwire it as security it block the key.

I am not 100% sure it is same for regular key,but knowing how advanced e60 is with its electronic systems for its age,then everything is possible.

You appear to have a lack of supply to the CAS, which I believe is the Car Access System. So in simple terms the immobiliser module in the car has no power. If the CAS has a problem them the car will be immobilised. I'd focus on this fault.