scot360

DIVERSITY ANTENNA E61. WHAT IS THE REAL STORY?

I am new to the forum, I cannot believe how many members and posts it has. I am very impressed.

I know the diversity antenna has been posted many times.

Including the re wire of the tailgate cables running through the hinges, coax and rear washer pipe.

Did BMW ever admit that this was a totally inadequate design?

How long are they meant to last?

Why didnt they do a recall and modify it?

Why is the PCB inside the antenna not sprayed with sealant?

My car is a 2005 e61 159k miles. I have owned it for 2 years.

The previous onwer had a new diveristy antenna fitted in 2017 the part was a 2016 model.

Under my ownership this got water in it so the remote locking did not work.

I had no heated rear window and no rear washer.

So I rewired everything, fixed everything , bougth a brand new antenna .

I also bought a brand new key from the dealers to be sure.

So I have spend £400 on those 2 parts.

I put some water resistant measures in place.

Everything has been working perfectly.

Until now 10 months later , my locking does not work again.

So my 10 months old antenna is kaput.

Iv took it out today for an inspection there was some mositure nearby but the inside of the antenna was dry.

Do anyone think this part will be covered by BMW`s 2 year warranty? It should be but I have a feeling they will wriggle out of it somehow. 

Has a 2005 e61 had 1 of these fitted by every single owner over the years?

Any thoughts and input appreciated.

I am going to ring BMW parts department tomorrow.

Check the voltage and earth is right as BMW will not take the part back they will book the car in to fix it and cover labour costs, provided it is the actual fault.

As for the rest of it, they don't give a flying fuck as it doesn't set the cars on fire.

I have the same car as you, 2005 E61. As Gonzo says, BMW are not going to take any action over a 15 year old car/part that is an inconvenience rather than a safety issue.

I didn't replace mine, I just cleaned the corrosion from the PCB. That was four years ago, and it's still working now. See here:

Do you pressure wash your car? That is probably how water is getting in there, if your spoiler is fitted correctly it rarely rains heavily enough for water to get in there. So when washing my car I only go over that area gently.

Edited by edd_jedi

2 hours ago, edd_jedi said:

I have the same car as you, 2005 E61. As Gonzo says, BMW are not going to take any action over a 15 year old car/part that is an inconvenience rather than a safety issue.

I didn't replace mine, I just cleaned the corrosion from the PCB. That was four years ago, and it's still working now. See here:

Do you pressure wash your car? That is probably how water is getting in there, if your spoiler is fitted correctly it rarely rains heavily enough for water to get in there. So when washing my car I only go over that area gently.

This ^

I was going to the local car wash 'winter 19/20, my key range went bad.

I stopped & have been cleaning the car myself since (or not when it's-°)

I'm very careful with the pressure washer round all the windows & door shuts

+ headlights , tail ights & rear spoiler.

No issues since.  

I have rang BMW , they have said it will cost 99 pounds to look at it.

If it is a faulty part they will replace it and not charge, but I am sure they will find an excuse not to change the part.

Blame something on the car.

As you guys say they wont give a crap about a customers driving a 15 year old car.

Thank you for the replies, I will check the voltages.

I did have another idea that was to get an after market alarm fitted with a separate alarm key fob.

So the diversity antenna could be left faulty. As the alarm would be linked directly into the central locking.

Dirtydirtydiesel I will check for corrosion. Its worth a look.

3 hours ago, scot360 said:

I have rang BMW , they have said it will cost 99 pounds to look at it.

If it is a faulty part they will replace it and not charge, but I am sure they will find an excuse not to change the part.

Blame something on the car.

As you guys say they wont give a crap about a customers driving a 15 year old car.

Thank you for the replies, I will check the voltages.

I did have another idea that was to get an after market alarm fitted with a separate alarm key fob.

So the diversity antenna could be left faulty. As the alarm would be linked directly into the central locking.

Dirtydirtydiesel I will check for corrosion. Its worth a look.

The car can be coded to operate off the key and still use the alarm without setting it off every time you open the door.

Anyway, ignition and radio on should see voltage on 3 lines and one earth.

Hey @GoNz0 you seem to be pretty knowledgeable about the wiring for the Diversity amp. Mine outputs sound on the CD, DVD, and aux, the remote central locking works, the rear washer works, the radio will show plenty of FM channels it picks up on the screen - but there's no sound on any of the radio channels.

Is my problem a wiring issue, a buggered amp, or something else?

5 hours ago, Jabo said:

Hey @GoNz0 you seem to be pretty knowledgeable about the wiring for the Diversity amp. Mine outputs sound on the CD, DVD, and aux, the remote central locking works, the rear washer works, the radio will show plenty of FM channels it picks up on the screen - but there's no sound on any of the radio channels.

Is my problem a wiring issue, a buggered amp, or something else?

I've got nothing, usually it will show no channels if the antenna is bust m8.

16 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

I've got nothing, usually it will show no channels if the antenna is bust m8.

Meh, gonna try replacing the Diversity unit.

Edited by Jabo