Sign in to follow this  
antimony

N47 chain replacement - any other jobs when the engine is out?

The missus 520d has the dreaded chain noise, its on 108K so it's kinda expected. 

Anyhoo, I was thinking, if the engine is going to be lifted, what other maintenance can be done - gearbox oil, torque converter service etc?  Is there any easy preventative issues I should be asking to get done when the engine is out?

Cheers

Gearbox oil is a good one but got mixed ideas about it. ZF ( manufacturer  of the gearbox) says it should be serviced every 60k miles i think, bmw says it is filled for life. Ensure you use genuine ZF parts if you going to go down that route.

Another one would be is inspection of Engine mounts , it appears a few people had issues with them and if budget allows i would replace them while the engine out.

Getting intake manifold and valve being blaster would be another good one to get rid of all the carbon deposits.

You would change the coolant since the engine out. 

That's all i can think of i am sure other people would chime in. 

Ideally the autobox needs left in the car and attached to the engine to be serviced as it needs to up to temp with its own oil pump running to check the correct level of oil.

Its one of those moments of where do you stop when making most of the access to literally every single component.

I changed the oil filter housing gasket and seals while I had my engine out for the chain, other than a full service when it all went back in, all the other bits were part of the chain job, rear crank seal, camcover gasket, injector seals ....

and then a week later 

rebuilt the turbo!

8DAB25E3-EBE1-4606-A5E5-E4307C91CE80.jpeg