Steve van hool

Removing the E39, M5 badge

How easy can you remove the M5 badge on the E39 boot lid without damaging the paint. I'm not remotely interested in showing off in my car, and tire of every man and his dog wanting to challenge when I take it out for a drive.

I removed mine quite easily using dental floss. You are not replacing the badge so will need to be a bit more thorough cleaning away the old adhesive (it was just a sticky pad). Pros and cons discussed here:   Removing rear "m" badge | BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums (m5board.com)

Won't these "challengers" still spot the quad exhausts?!   :)

Ta for the link, yes those that know, will know it's an M5 even without looking at the exhaust, but there are alot more run of the mill, even diesel cars now with quad pipes at the back, I might just stay under the radar a little, if the badge is taken off. Only one way to find out.

Hi, 

As per above to remove the bootlid badge. Will you also be changing the front door external trims to the plain ones without the M5 badge too? a small number of M5's were specified with the badge delete and I think that also included the door side trims leaving just the Mirrors and Exhaust as the main visual giveaways of an M5. 

Cheers, Dennis!

I have to say, there is something very cool and understated about a de-badged M5.

I considered it a few times after a few traffic lights grand prix challenges in England, as well as much more dangerous manoeuvres by idiots in fast moving traffic in Italy. But back home in the Highlands the car gets largely ignored by other road users and I guess just considered as another old BMW. The only exceptions are a couple of local yoofs in their fart-can exhaust Corsas who always give me the thumbs up and an appreciative honk on the horn!

If I lived in England I'd seriously consider de-badging the car to circumvent the nuisance and aggro.

On 06/04/2021 at 21:31, DepthHoar said:

If I lived in England I'd seriously consider de-badging the car to circumvent the nuisance and aggro.

Maybe it's a regional thing, but I've not experienced any aggro or nuisance, occasionally, very occasionally I'll get a thumbs up and a smile usually due to the exhaust sound.