Sten

1995 E34 525i Starter Motor removal

Morning All,

Any tips on removing the Starter Motor? I've removed the Intake etc and I can see the two E12 Torx headed M10 bolts that hold the damn thing in but I can't undo them. Are they just ridiculously tight? I've tried the correct E12 torx socket on the bolt head but there's no wiggle room to get any purchase on them. Other end of the bolt appears to be a 16mm nut - pics show one bolt head and one nut. This is all part of a longer saga which I'll post as a topic when I get it running again.

Barry

20210205_101934.jpg

20210205_101943.jpg

Spray the bolt threads and the nut with pentrating oil.  You should be able to get at the torx bolt heads with a 3/8 breaker bar and socket. The usual problem is corrosion on the locating pin which comes out of the bellhousing and goes through the starter flange.  Not clear if you removed the inlet manifold to get at the starter but it is well worth spending 20 minutes to do it even if the starter isn't stuck 

Thanks Gents, it's out - a combination of 1/2" 16mm socket with a 3/8 adaptor on a long extension with a 1/2" adaptor and a 3' Snap On breaker bar on the nut, with an E12 socket and 3/8 Tommy Bar to hold the other end. Off to my Auto Electrician to check it out and refurb as necessary.

On 06/02/2021 at 17:26, Sten said:

Thanks Gents, it's out - a combination of 1/2" 16mm socket with a 3/8 adaptor on a long extension with a 1/2" adaptor and a 3' Snap On breaker bar on the nut, with an E12 socket and 3/8 Tommy Bar to hold the other end. Off to my Auto Electrician to check it out and refurb as necessary.

It can also be taken out from underneath the vehicle, if you have access to a ramp, meaning you won't need to remove the intake manifold. Mind you, if trying to get to it from underneath, you'll need quite a few extensions to reach the starter bolts.

Also there are 2 types of starter motors - the older one, which is slightly longer, is secured with both bolts and nuts, plus it has like a support bracket bolted to the engine block, which helps to remove the strain from the starter bolts due to starter's length. Looks like this is the type that what you have.

Newer starter motors are shorter, meaning the support bracket is no longer required, and also the mounting bores on the starter are threaded, so you just need to put the bolts through from the gearbox side and that's it - no need for any nuts on the other end.

P.S. Bosch factory refurbished starter motors are available from ECP and with a discount they work out to just over £100, so might be a better a deal, than a local refurb...Keep in mind, you'll need to return the old unit to get the surcharge refunded.

Edited by Blackman

Thanks, that's useful info. No access to a ramp sadly! Starter is the old type with the extra support bracket on the rear, the exchange Bosch ones are indeed shorter currently at £104.93 from ECP when you take the surcharge off.