Sign in to follow this  
kayser540

Cost of building materials

I have good few properties on buy to let, with last one I did up in 2016/17. 

I purchased a fire damaged property  in December 19, I have only had the structural engineers to come in and  make sure everything was ok.. I had originally planned to start work on it in April/May 20 but the lockdown put an end to that.. 

I am hoping to start work tis April/May but have recently been in B&Q and a local builders merchants and have seen a huge increase in the cost of materials such as plasterboards, Plaster, cement, timber, insulation boards. 

Has this been a been a gradual increase over the last 3/4 years or due to the pandemic and do you guys see the cost coming down? 

Edited by kayser540

I believe the pandemic has caused a big issue with things like plaster and plasterboard - this is what builders were telling me.

Earlier in the year there simply wasn't the stock - i can;t imagine that will change significantly in the short term - guess you need to weigh up the cost of waiting vs the materials bill

40 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

I believe the pandemic has caused a big issue with things like plaster and plasterboard - this is what builders were telling me.

Earlier in the year there simply wasn't the stock - i can;t imagine that will change significantly in the short term - guess you need to weigh up the cost of waiting vs the materials bill

We got the same from a few plasterers we know; 2 of which have gone under as they couldn't get the materials to keep their business going. Both now working for building firms and I'm still hearing they're struggling to get the necessary materials in bulk...

I would get a trade car with Selco. If the have then got a full refurbish to do you can negotiate discount for a single large project. And delivery is free!!

Any idea as to what % increase we are looking at on materials from early last year?

I've a few projects coming up this year and want to make sure that when I get the quotes in I'm not being had over...  ;);) 

6 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

I will probably wait till probably May and take it from there.. There is no mortgage on the house with gas electricity cut off and the house boarded up.. just the council tax on it.. 

6 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

We got the same from a few plasterers we know; 2 of which have gone under as they couldn't get the materials to keep their business going. Both now working for building firms and I'm still hearing they're struggling to get the necessary materials in bulk...

I remember this last year when plaster was like gold dust and people were selling them on Facebook for £30 per bag!! 

2 hours ago, Stressed said:

I would get a trade car with Selco. If the have then got a full refurbish to do you can negotiate discount for a single large project. And delivery is free!!

The nearest selco is about 7-8miles away but I do have an account with Howarth Timber and Travis Perkins although I haven’t used them in around 4 years.. 

I always found B&Qs Trade Point quite competitive on plaster and plasterboard when you purchased 5+