jag530isport

Looking to buy e60 LCI

Hi guys

I'm lookimg at getting a LCI e60 and was wondering what to look out for? How much should I be looking to pay for a petrol m sport preferably 530i m sport or 540i sport. The 525i is a 3ltr engine but i'm assuming i'd be bettef off going for the 530i.

What specificatikns did they come with and are the auto boxes any good on them. Manual woild be better but will be hard to get hold of.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hi. To be honest you probably better of buying 530d or 535d,because those are more reliable engines. Lci e60 530i will have n54 engine and that is not very reliable engine and also complecated,but if you manage to find car that was very well looked after,then maybe it will be reliable,but in my experiance a lot of those cars are in sad condition where owners just getting rid of them because they cant afford to repair and maintain. With diesel engines it a little easier to find decent one simply because those are bullet proof and with a bit of maintenance they will last.

That only my opinion though.

Yes as above for every one petrol car you will find 100 diesels for sale, so unless you are willing to compromise on pretty much everything (spec, colour, year, mielage) just to get a petrol engine, I would suggest compromising on fuel type and get everthing else you want. If you are scared of diesels from reading stories about swirl flaps or DPFs most of it is fairly easy and cheap to remedy, and as above it's not like the petrol cars are foolproof.

Edited by edd_jedi

Bristol and Birmingham are introducing clean air zone charge in March and June respectively. Unless it's registered under disabled class or is Euro 6 compliant, diesels are not worth owning.

Bristol and Birmingham are introducing clean air zone charge in March and June respectively. Unless it's registered under disabled class or is Euro 6 compliant, diesels are not worth owning.

To be honest that's why i'm looking. I go into Birmingham quite a bit so was just thinking of getting a petrol which I think I would get away with. It's a tough one from what i've seen I can't take my e46 330ci into Birmingham but if I had an e60 m5 07 plate or above i'm laughing

What is the budget plus initial 1st year ownership maintenance contingency cash?
How much time do you have before making a purchase, weeks, months?

What is the budget plus initial 1st year ownership maintenance contingency cash?
How much time do you have before making a purchase, weeks, months?

The budget for a e60 roughly £6k to £7k but I need to find out if diesel will be exempt. I've got until June so have a while. I'm not a fan if diesel ro be honest as I prefer petrol to be honest. Are the petrol e60s really that bad, i've had e39s and e53s but all are and have been petrol

3 minutes ago, jag530isport said:

The budget for a e60 roughly £6k to £7k but I need to find out if diesel will be exempt. I've got until June so have a while. I'm not a fan if diesel ro be honest as I prefer petrol to be honest. Are the petrol e60s really that bad, i've had e39s and e53s but all are and have been petrol

What you probably have in those is m54 engines and those are not too bad. It when they started using n series engines they are not too good. 

That's good, a 6 month buying window will give you a fair chance of finding a suitable example after viewing a couple of dogs ;). Though a manual will be much harder to find, probably have more luck finding a 30i manual in a smaller E90/E91 or maybe the E63 6 series N53 and others here.

If you can't see the links in my signature, try the thread on my LCI manual 530i M-Sport E61 here. Which is a 3.0L 6cyl N53 petrol engine, a Direct injection lean burner.

With ISTA-D software on a laptop and some knowledge, I think the N53 isn't that bad or as bad as some will say, though most of the second hand ones might well be hiding some expensive issues to fix. Also the petrol (with no turbo) isn't really tweakable for more power like the Diesel options but your not wanting an E60 for that reason anyway (to be ULEZ compliant).

Edit: had some finger trouble with posting some links, fised now.

https://bimmerprofs.com/direct-injection-stratified-charge/

Edited by DarkHorse
typo's

That's good, a 6 month buying window will give you a fair chance of finding a suitable example after viewing a couple of dogs ;). Though a manual will be much harder to find, probably have more luck finding a 30i manual in a smaller E90/E91 or maybe the E63 6 series N53 and others here.

If you can't see the links in my signature, try the thread on my LCI manual 530i M-Sport E61 here. Which is a 3.0L 6cyl N53 petrol engine, a Direct injection lean burner.
With ISTA-D software on a laptop and some knowledge, I think the N53 isn't that bad or as bad as some will say, though most of the second hand ones might well be hiding some expensive issues to fix. Also the petrol (with no turbo) isn't really tweakable for more power like the Diesel options but your not wanting an E60 for that reason anyway (to be ULEZ compliant).

What kind of issues could they be hiding and what kind of costs can be involved?

Lumpy cold starts from leaky overnight injectors, often hard to spot when buying. Can be unlucky as Petrol may require a set of injectors (up to 6x @ £200 each + wasted diags and labour), other failures with water pump, HPFP (fuel pump)... Then the other usual E60 issues like battery and electrical niggles, tired auto box vs. clutch and Dual Mass Flywheel....

Read around the links I posted and have your eyes open before buying. Mine's been fine and good fun for nearly 4 years other than a clutch plate replacement. Some are not as lucky and favour the older N52 petrol (though has less low down torque). I had the old E39 M54 petrol for 7 years before the E61, which had a much simpler engine management system but didn't have 270hp.

Check out this diesel experience, its not a cheap option either. (link fixed)

Edited by DarkHorse
typo's

Lumpy cold starts from leaky overnight injectors, often hard to spot when buying. Can be unlucky as Petrol may require a set of injectors (up to 6x @ £200 each + wasted diags and labour), other failures with water pump, HPFP (fuel pump)... Then the other usual E60 issues like battery and electrical niggles, tired auto box vs. clutch and Dual Mass Flywheel....

Read around the links I posted and have your eyes open before buying. Mine's been fine and good fun for nearly 4 years other than a clutch plate replacement. Some are not as lucky and favour the older N52 petrol (though has less low down torque). I had the old E39 M54 petrol for 7 years before the E61, which had a much simpler engine management system but didn't have 270hp.

Check out this diesel experience, its not a cheap option either. (link fixed)

Nice one cheers mate

13 hours ago, Yuri84 said:

What you probably have in those is m54 engines and those are not too bad. It when they started using n series engines they are not too good. 

E60/61 LCI will be N52 or N53

I have a 2010 E61 LCI with a N52N - work that one out?

1 hour ago, know-dice said:

E60/61 LCI will be N52 or N53

I have a 2010 E61 LCI with a N52N - work that one out?

Hi. Its my mistake,i am not very good with petrol engine codes. N54 is going to be a 3.0i twin turbo like 335i e90,i think. I Amerika they have 535i e60 but not in Europe for some reason.

Non European markets stuck with the N52 due to the N53 injectors having issues with high sulphur fuel.

So may be that late N52N was meant to be some kind of southern Confederate.

1 hour ago, DarkHorse said:

Non European markets stuck with the N52 due to the N53 injectors having issues with high sulphur fuel.

So may be that late N52N was meant to be some kind of southern Confederate.

I think my car was meant to end up in Hong Kong so that probably explains why it has a N52N....

On 01/02/2021 at 13:42, jag530isport said:

To be honest that's why i'm looking. I go into Birmingham quite a bit so was just thinking of getting a petrol which I think I would get away with. It's a tough one from what i've seen I can't take my e46 330ci into Birmingham but if I had an e60 m5 07 plate or above i'm laughing

My 2004 M54 E60 was exempt from the London emissions charge. I had to send them a copy of the V5, after which they updated their database. Your E46 330i is probably exempt as well if you do the same.

Edited by Tuvoc

My 2004 M54 E60 was exempt from the London emissions charge. I had to send them a copy of the V5, after which they updated their database. Your E46 330i is probably exempt as well if you do the same.
Who did you send a copy of the v5 to because i also have a 54 plate x5?

8 hours ago, jag530isport said:

Who did you send a copy of the v5 to because i also have a 54 plate x5?

To TFL London. As I recall, I ran the checker on the reg plate which said it was liable for the charge, but then there was the option to upload your V5, they would check the emissions numbers and then update the database if they were low enough. My then 2004 M54 actually complies with the newer Euro 6 regs for petrol engines, even though Euro 3 was the latest standard when it was produced. 

Edited by Tuvoc

To TFL London. As I recall, I ran the checker on the reg plate which said it was liable for the charge, but then there was the option to upload your V5, they would check the emissions numbers and then update the database if they were low enough. My then 2004 M54 actually complies with the newer Euro 6 regs for petrol engines, even though Euro 3 was the latest standard when it was produced. 
Nice one will look into that. Cheers mate will report back.

Finding a LCI 530i is the simple part, but making sure it doesn't have the common hidden issues like failing injectors, NOX sensor, HPFP is the difficult bit as explained already.  Arm yourself with some sort of diagnostics (such as INPA, ISTA-D) beforehand is my recommendation.

Most of us on here have sorted N53's which is a beauty of an engine, plenty of poke for an NA engine and great fuel economy from the lean-burn technology.

I'm 8 years into my ownership with the only issue being the NOX sensor (replaced with NOXEM) and a leaking gearbox sump in which I took the opportunity for a full gearbox service.  I have no plan to get rid of my low mileage 62k example, currently on SORN for the past year, can't wait to get her back on the road when this all clears up.