Barker246

1986 528i improvement

Good evening all,

3 months ago I got back into e28 ownership after 16 years. After hunting for ages looking for specifically an M30 manual car I eventually got hold of a low mileage 528i manual. I drove the car 320 miles back home with no issues.

I was really impressed with the e28 after my w126 s class. Just as comfortable but with better gearing and far superior steering. 

there are a few things I want to improve though. 

the gearing is incredibly tall. I’ve got the 3.25 lsd but would like to convert it to a 3.64.

Suspension needs a refresh. I’m looking at Fritz bits springs and b6 Bilsteins. Eventually I’ll add Ireland engineering anti roll bars. 

Brakes require quite a bit of shove. Looking at 540i parts and I’ll fit some 16” wheels to clear them. 

Oil leaks. Already replaced the valve cover gasket. Will replace the timing cover crank seal and gaskets. It’s sprayed everywhere!

I’ll need to rebuild and re grease all the window regulators too. 

I’m going to try and get all these jobs bar the suspension done before April as I’m going to have to drive the car to Leipzig in Germany from Northumberland for work. 

Any advice on rebuilding diffs. Suspension set ups etc will be greatly appreciated. It’s a pretty special car to me and I love it to bits!

8FBC0EA9-ABBB-4F8A-8334-88F77B0E078D.jpeg

55B015D4-43BE-49B5-8A82-92496C675EA1.jpeg

I fitted H&R springs to mine with B8 dampers which felt very good.

I also fitted powerflex bushes to the front and BMW do top mounts with an extra half degree of camber which felt good.

M5 arbs front and great where a great upgrade and for brakes 3.6 e34 M5 up front and e34 m5/540 rears with braided lines where superb.

Finally worth doing the rear bushes and dog bones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Mick. 

looks lovely but it’s not mine. I don’t have the headlight wash system. Mine is pretty clean. Just needs a few dings removing. 

cheers 

Rich

403A10EB-F878-4498-A0FA-58E62A29AA91.jpeg

7 hours ago, Barker246 said:

That’s some good info thanks. Also need to replace the clutch release bearing too. 

Which bmw had the top mounts with the extra camber? 

The e28. Sold for crash repairs so give either 0.5 +\- depending which way you fit. 

if you go down the m5 router for arbs the later ones are thicker but you need to weld on new mounts. 

Gaz do nice adjustable shocks at very reasonable prices, good quality but usually 6 weeks waiting as they are built to order, if you can't get Bilstein's these are a good alternative.

Careful with the poly bush you don't want to go too hard with competition spec as you will soon get fed up with the harshness when touring around.

Love the mini, just getting into these now. 

Thanks again for the info. Are there any of the e28 suspension arms or bushes worth fitting?

The Mini is great. Very handy in the school car park which is full of Range Rovers and other such like. It’s about 45bhp of fury.  

Depends on what your plans are, good replacements are Lemforder, Meyle, Moog and TRW don't use Febi Bilstein they are useless

If you intend to swap the bushes for poly's then there is no need to buy expensive arm as the bushes wear out long before the ball joints on the E28, I have loads of arms with failed bushes and good joints especially the track control arms

High Rich,

There is a guy in the US on mye28.com who has reproduced the 25 mm M5 front anti-roll bar mounts that are welded to the frame rails in place of the standard 17 mm / 18 mm / 19 mm anti-roll bars.

The original 25mm M5 front anti-roll bar mounts (41.11.2.230.014) are no longer available (NLA) from the main stealers.

The front 25mm M5 anti-roll bar (31.35.2.225.886), 25 mm rubber mounts (31.35.2.226.001) and support brackets (31.35.1.131.622) bolt straight up to these mounts.

IMG_2791.JPG.4ff7513d4ae9526a3ccd6e41a36e00eb.JPG

Link address:

https://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=153356

The 18 mm M5 rear anti-roll bar (33.55.2.225.888) and mounting rubbers (33.55.2.225.890) bolts straight onto the existing mounting with the existing mounting brackets (33.55.1.129.195).

The challenge is to find an M5 18 mm rear anti-roll bar, as they have been "no longer available" (NLA) from the main stealers for a couple of years now.

Stay safe and best regards,

Mick

Edited by Ordnator

Posted on this thread in error.

Re-posted in "E28 525e - Bronzitbeige over Nutria Brown Leather - Body Restoration"

Edited by Ordnator

I feel insulted, the mirror's are not ex mine Mick

On 30/01/2021 at 03:54, Barker246 said:

Hi Mick. 

looks lovely but it’s not mine. I don’t have the headlight wash system. Mine is pretty clean. Just needs a few dings removing. 

cheers 

Rich

403A10EB-F878-4498-A0FA-58E62A29AA91.jpeg

The Mini looks interesting. I thought it was a Mark 3 Cooper S with the overriders but clocked the M plate  so must be a Mini 1000. In Glacier white no less. 

On 30/01/2021 at 03:45, Ordnator said:

Hi Barker246,

Is this the 528iSE that Derin100 restored?

http://www.bmwclassics.co.uk/gallery

Uploaded slideshows of my E28 - Page 1 - BMW General - PistonHeads

Looks to be as clean :cool:

Best regards,

Mick

The white one Derin did was briefly owned by me and then sold it to a chap in the west country...... And I have a horrible feeling he may have used this car to restore a Alpina he had as its not been MOT'd since I sold it.

Seen in pic next to my burgundrot eta

WP_20151003_009.jpg

The diff on my e28 is a medium case 3.25. What would be the easiest way of building it into a 3.64. Current diff is a LSD. I was trying to get a complete 3.64 open diff (not having much luck though) and insert the LSD internals into it. Would this work? Gearing is far too long at the moment. 

You can just get the 3.64 crown wheel and pinion and rebuild your differential with the new ratio. The other option is to fit your Lsd into a 3.64 open differential. Cheapest would be buy a 3.64 Lsd differential and sell your own for the same as you pay for the 3.64.