max535

M Sport anti roll bar sizes

My front anti roll bar bushes look pretty worn so decided to do both front and rear and ordered them from PSB, but before I put the order in I figured best to measure the bars using my digital vernier gauge to make sure i get the right sizes, front came up 24.6 and rear 16mm. According to realoem the front m sport sizes are 25.6 and 25.5 so why is my front bar 24.6?

Also is it possible to replace the bushes front and rear without disconnecting the links or will there be too much tension with the suspension in full droop?

There's no problem replacing the bushes without undoing the drop links. I took mine off and re-greased the bushes a couple of weeks ago like that. (After a while the silicone grease on poly bushes gets washed away and your suspension can creak going over speed ramps.)

Thanks, I don't plan on replacing the drop links as they seem fine but as anyone who has replaced drop links knows they can put up quite a fight and I don't want to end up having to cut one off and not having a new link to go on. Should be a fairly quick and painless process to replace the bushes then!

Yes aware of the possible need to re-grease them, I seem to be fairly lucky so far as I have a fully poly bushed Honda Prelude Type S, that was done a few years ago and so far so good.

Regards the bar sizes, maybe there were some variation with bar sizes, or maybe early E60's m sport's had a smaller size, who knows...

3 hours ago, max535 said:

Regards the bar sizes, maybe there were some variation with bar sizes, or maybe early E60's m sport's had a smaller size, who knows...

I need to change the anti roll bar bushes on mine and was looking at this earlier, there are three suspension options listed for my E61, standard, sport and M Sport.

You can see a gap between the bush and the ARB on my car, either the bushes are well shot or some previous owner has wrongly fitted M Sport bushes to my Sport specification suspension. Time to get the callipers out.

1 hour ago, Keith_H said:

I need to change the anti roll bar bushes on mine and was looking at this earlier, there are three suspension options listed for my E61, standard, sport and M Sport.

You can see a gap between the bush and the ARB on my car, either the bushes are well shot or some previous owner has wrongly fitted M Sport bushes to my Sport specification suspension. Time to get the callipers out.

Same here, front bushes have gaps, rears don't but the psb bushings are so cheap its a no brainier to just do the lot.

8 hours ago, max535 said:

My front anti roll bar bushes look pretty worn so decided to do both front and rear and ordered them from PSB, but before I put the order in I figured best to measure the bars using my digital vernier gauge to make sure i get the right sizes, front came up 24.6 and rear 16mm. According to realoem the front m sport sizes are 25.6 and 25.5 so why is my front bar 24.6?

Also is it possible to replace the bushes front and rear without disconnecting the links or will there be too much tension with the suspension in full droop?

Powerflex list

is your car an early se? , based on what's listed I'd say your measuring it correctly but for peace of mind 

ask your chosen bush supplier. 

10 hours ago, max535 said:

Same here, front bushes have gaps, rears don't but the psb bushings are so cheap its a no brainier to just do the lot.

Absolutely, it was not picked up on the MOT in November but no reason not to sort it out.

Hmmm, I put the order in on the PSB website yesterday (slightly cheaper than ebay) and paid via paypal but haven't received any automated email response or seen any activity on my paypal. I've just dropped them an email, maybe they don't process anything until they have confirmed the parts in stock...

12 hours ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Powerflex list

is your car an early se? , based on what's listed I'd say your measuring it correctly but for peace of mind 

ask your chosen bush supplier. 

Its not an SE, its a 2005/04 M sport, I cant see how I could have measured it wrong, the rear bar measures a perfect 16mm which makes sense and the front bar is nowhere near close to the other size options so I'm sure its 24.6, I'm sure it will be fine.

I only asked if it's an SE because your sig doesn't state which model.

According to Realoem & older post's on this subject on here quote:

Std /SE front 24.6mm on a 530d,  535 & 550i both 25mm

Sports 530d 25mm & 535 & 550i both 25.6mm

M sport 530d 25.6mm & the same on both 535 & 550i

M5 26.5mm

Search for Improve Corner Stability.

1 hour ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

I only asked if it's an SE because your sig doesn't state which model.

According to Realoem & older post's on this subject on here quote:

Std /SE front 24.6mm on a 530d,  535 & 550i both 25mm

Sports 530d 25mm & 535 & 550i both 25.6mm

M sport 530d 25.6mm & the same on both 535 & 550i

M5 26.5mm

Search for Improve Corner Stability.

Thanks, that's useful to know and now you have me doubting my measurements, from looking at the diagram on realoem its possible the front bar tapers down a bit outboard of the bush, ill double check it again on Monday when the snow has hopefully melted...

As long as you've measured your bar next to the bush you'll be fine.

I have no idea if that info I supplied is definitive. 

For example why would Powerflex make a 28 & 29mm bush if the M5 only has a 26.5mm :?:

My only thoughts to your car is, was it a m sport from the factory or a SE that a previous owner 

fitted the m sport kit too ?

42 minutes ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

My only thoughts to your car is, was it a m sport from the factory or a SE that a previous owner 

fitted the m sport kit too ?

Putting the Vin into a build decoder will give the original specification, that's not to say that a previous owner has not 'tuned' the suspension with parts from another car.

Not sure I measured it right next to the bush, hence my doubt, and yes definitely m sport from factory as I checked this on mdecoder when I first got the car, the site doesn't seem to be working now though?

I don't see a 28mm on the powerflex site but 29mm maybe something to do with dynamic drive? 

All of the other numbers add up with what I can see on realoem so makes sense.

28mm is the very first bushing in the e60/61 list (not that it matters)

Followed by 29mm, 24.6mm, 25.6 & finally 25mm.

Just for reference :)

& you've got me thinking now, I bought a whole load of new polly bushes for mine

for a m sport. 

& yes m sport from new (vin checked).

Well I've only just realised you have to use the full 17 digit VIN on mdecoder now as the 7 digit is obsolete, what a plonker... so 100% its  'S704 M Sport Suspension' from factory.

This just gets better... been out to measure the bar again and I'm even more confused than before, I cant actually measure it right next to the bush as the radius arm and various other bits are in the way, so off with the undertray to be 100%. Turns out the diameter is different depending on where you measure it, middle of the bar is 24.6, then halfway along towards the bush there is a noticeable step up in size, I forget what that part measured but right next to the bush I get 26.4, that doesn't make sense... measured it several times on either side of the bush, yep 26.4...

Decided it must measure differently at the bush which I cant check without removing it, and concluded it must be 25.5/25.6, PSB only sell a 25.5 so in a panic to get the order in with PSB before their delivery cut off today I pushed the button and ordered it. Then re-read your comments and noticed the 26.5 bar for the M5, hang on a minute the previous owner fitted the car with an M5 front bumper (yes it doesn't fit quite right but looks ok) so does my car have an M5 front roll bar?... :wacko:

Edited by max535

Ok ok... so checked online at pics of M5 front bars and they have a very prominent bend in the middle section of the bar, mine doesn't have that, measured again in several places and it clearly makes a big difference where you measure it you will get all sorts of readings, just after the bend in the bar outboard of the bush the straight part measures about 25.5, realoem says 25.5 for the m sport bush so decided to just stick with what I already ordered from PSB, think I have peace of mind now... 

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=NC92-EUR-01-2005-E60-BMW-535d&diagId=31_0658

Bushes turned up this morning so got to fitting them this afternoon, the whole thing was a breeze and took a bit over hour or so from start to finish with just hand tools (including jacking up etc). Fronts were straight forward, 13mm bolt at the top and 13mm nut at the bottom, just be careful the whole thing doesn't swing down and bop you on the head. The back was a little fiddly as the 13mm nuts have bolts behind them that are not captive so you need a 13mm ring spanner to hold them in place or the nut will just spin, everything torqued up to 28Nm job done.

Initial driving impressions are steering feels lighter, more precise and responsive, definitely much better turn in response and general handling is much improved. Again cant really put my foot down as too much traffic plus its pretty greasy out there today.

The bushes themselves were a perfect fit, I was surprised how stiff they were but it doesn't seem to have affected the ride quality at all, the whole car just seems that much more composed, definitely happy with these :D