stevecvo

Thanks Brexit

I brought my 2001 E39 525d out with me from the UK when I moved to Portugal in late 2002. For a number of years now I have kept it going by sourcing a mixture of new OEM parts and second hand OE parts in the UK  to supplement the times that I could not avoid buying OE parts locally from BMW. I had things delivered to a transport company in Andover and brought over by road to their local depot near me for collection in person. A cheap and reliable service against the expensive and unreliable local couriers used by Royal Mail for deliveries from the UK. I used the same system for delivery of the many other purchases of things I bought on Ebay but as from 1 January everything has to be supported by an invoice or another declaration for used goods if you can get one from the seller. Parcels will no doubt attract local VAT of 23%  plus a service charge from the carrier -I am waiting to find out what will happen for a package delivered to Andover on 5 January-so it looks like goodbye to purchases from the UK from now on. Thanks Boris. The other side of the coin is that there will be problems shipping stuff to the UK on a commercial scale in some areas because some EU hauliers are refusing to deliver because of the financial guarantees needed to cover UK VAT and potential customs charges. It may be time to consider purchasing a new eurobox!!

Yup. It screws parties on both sides of it . . . .companies and individuals. 

Just means a holiday will now be a road trip driving round Europe doing some essential shopping. 

I don’t have much idea about politics and what’s done re Brexit is done. But I am struggling at this point to recognise any benefits yet coming our way from leaving ???

5 hours ago, dj1233 said:

It's still not fully completed. There are still a lot of things to be signed off and sorted. 

Benefits; now it is completed we can re-apply to join the EU again. . . . . .:ph34r: after another referendum of course. 

Very amusing! "Bre-entry". 

Statement from the EU after UK votes for re-entry: "We are delighted with the UK referendum result to rejoin the EU and will start re-entry talks once we have concluded entry negotiations with Russia and China" :D

Keliuss

If you import from or export to the EU and are old enough, just cast you mind back 40 years. Paying import and export clearance charges, transit guarantees and VAT is how it used to be. We voted for it. Want to reduce red tape? The Department for International Trade is advising companies to set up an entity within the EU. One might reasonably conclude that the only way to do that without additional costs is to sack some staff in the UK and employ some new ones in the EU.