Russ' E39

Another Newbie

Hi all.

My son has just become the proud owner of a '98 523i saloon.

He is undertaking a mechanics course at college so this is an ideal project for him.

It was bought as a non runner and is in need of a little TLC so I'm sure I will be asking some questions along the way for 'how to's' or general info.

You never know, I might even post something?

So thank you in advance for any help.

Russ

Hi Russ, this is a good place to start, there are some really helpful and downright nice members on this forum.

If he hasn’t already, your son (and you) should definitely look at the YouTube channel M539 Restoration. This guy is crazy about older BMWs and has some really helpful videos showing a lot of the typical works needed on E series BMs.

On 18/01/2021 at 22:30, Russ' E39 said:

Hi all.

My son has just become the proud owner of a '98 523i saloon.

He is undertaking a mechanics course at college so this is an ideal project for him.

It was bought as a non runner and is in need of a little TLC so I'm sure I will be asking some questions along the way for 'how to's' or general info.

You never know, I might even post something?

So thank you in advance for any help.

Russ

Welcome on board :) 

Excellent, you cant beat getting stuck into a project.  Hope you all have fun getting in about the car, should be nice when finished (not that it will ever be finished eh:-))

Thank you all for you greetings and advice.

We accept that it's not an overnight project and there are mechanical as well as cosmetic jobs to be done.

I might start a progress thread once we get under way. :)

Welcome Russ.

By a strange coincidence I bought  '98 523i SE auto in May '19 having owned a '96 E34 520i several years before. Despite having to spend a substantial amount to get things 'just right' I'm very happy with the E39. Not the quickest spec. of the model, but quite enough for a couple of pensioners.

Everyone on this forum has been of great help & assistance & even though I don't work on cars these days the advice received has helped me understand what makes the old girl tick.

Good luck with the project, another E39 back on the road one day?

nb.  Apparently the 523i won the European exec. car of the year award in 1997,  just in case you are a collector of totally useless information :rolleyes: